Improve your old computer's performance

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Alaska7 • Jul 12, 2012.

1. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I have three empty ram slots so if necessary, I might update my comps ram. I don't do much on my computer other than work on my website/forum. I have google chrome and IE8. And a 70+ GB harddrive. I don't game on my computer, run photoshop or anything. I have a screen-writing program called celtx that I run a lot. Hardly resource intensive.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Prices on computers have come down so much over the past several years, that I'm more in the frame of mind of just saving the money for hardware upgrades and just put it towards a new computer. If you've got a laptop from say 2005 that you paid $2500 for, you could buy a new computer for less than $500 today that blows it away in specs. Id think, why bother putting more memory or a bigger hard drive in it, when the computer itself is old and other parts are going to start wearing out and breaking down soon anyhow.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Very good tips on making your computer run faster. One poster said their computer was 10 years old. I wish in 10 years I am getting ready to purchase 4th computer.

4. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    I upgraded my old computer a while back so that it could be at least somewhat useable by my younger brother. I added some more RAM, bought an old AGP graphics card (PC didn't support PCI) to replace the onboard graphics and now he can play games like minecraft without a hitch :)