Improving Ramen

Discussion in Food & Drink started by joshc428 • Aug 25, 2015.

1. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    When I have time, I'll throw some eggs or some cheap meat into my instant noodles to give them an extra pack of flavor. Every now and then, I'll throw in a dash of pepper or lemon but I don't really taste that much of a difference. It's really easy to get sick of eating Ramen day in and day out. Any tips or suggestions as to how I can step up my Ramen game?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do like my ramen, but I poach an egg in and use some toasted sesame seed oil or chili flakes after to spice it up. Another way is the saute onions, mushrooms, garlic and spinach and add them and that makes it a meal. Use less broth and don't soak the noodles for too long.

3. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    To improve Ramen use seasonings, veggies, maybe add some cut up chicken breast. BUT, if you're going to do all that for Ramen then you're better off making pasta. Same work, but somewhat healthier. :)

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Fresh herbs will add instant flavour to your noodles. You can always chop up some basil, parsley, cilantro or green onions to give your noodles a little boost. My husband likes to add siracha to his ramen noodles to give it a spicy flavour.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I love adding chicken, green onions, and an egg or two.

Personally, I soft-boil my egg usually. I know other people who prefer to fry it, though, and let the yolk get mixed into the soup afterward.

6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I eat ramen on daily basis, an never get tired of it because I use it as ingredient for my recipes, not as an instant meal.

First off, I prefer packet noodles over cup noodles because you can put aside the flavoring/seasoning/dried vegetables bags, and you can then boil the whole block or break it into small pieces for a different presentation.

Now, for a varied noodle menu you can consider:
    • Boil in water, stir and drain without rinsing. Serve immediately with sour cream, cubed ham and finely chopped onion. Season to taste.
    Variables; cubed cheese, from Philadelphia to Edam, the choice is yours
    Crushed red pepper instead of onion, diced vegetables variety, shrimp, dice fish, chicken, pork or beef.​
    • Boil in broth whether chicken, meat or fish; season to taste and serve hot with croutons
    • Boil in tomato or clamato juice, serve hot with finely diced potatoes and onions
    • Boil in water, stir and drain. Put noodles into a baking pan, season to taste, sprinkle grated cheese and top with chopped bacon. Broil for 5 minutes
    And so on ;)

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If you have the time and effort to do it, try making a cream sauce and just use the noodles and save the broth packs for next time. It sounds weird, but it actually works well if you do it right. Just put in some of your favorite ingredients like mushrooms and bacon, sausage, or tuna. Personally, sometimes I prefer this to regular pasta. Another thing you could do is to stir fry some vegetables in some garlic and oyster sauce and use that to make Chinese dry noodles. I'm sure there are lots more better recipes out there but these are my personal favorites.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would keep track of how much you are spending to doctor up the ramen noodles - to make sure you aren't spending so much that you could have just prepared an entirely different meal for less. For example, eggs are super cheap - those vegetables and cheese you were going to use to spruce up your ramen noodles could have been a filling for an omelette, and would have been much healthier vs. some rancid fried processed noodles and a packet full of MSG and salt.

Even many varieties of regular pasta are dirt cheap too and cook up just as fast as ramen do - think Angel Hair pasta. You can easily dress it up with a can of tuna packed in oil, some chli flakes, fresh garlic and parsley, salt and pepper. Then hit it with some parmesan cheese. Or just simply a can of tuna and a small can of tomato sauce. Sauteed zucchini and pasta in olive oil and garlic is also great, and this time of year if you have any friends of neighbors who garden, they are probably begging you to take some of their zucchini.

Even a baked potato would go great with many of the things you might be considering throwing into your ramen,

9. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I also like soft-boiled egg on my ramen plus a small teaspoon of fried garlic and peppers. I also like adding cabbage, especially to instant ramen, I feel the veggies make it a bit healthier despite the heavy seasoning that goes with it. :)

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to work in a school that had many students that came from an impoverished background. SOme of them ate ramen or like oodles of noodles every day for lunch. They would put hot sauce in it. I do that from time to time if I am eating ramen. It cuts the salt a bit and adds something different to the flavor.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Excellent tips, Ohio. I think you nailed it. Other types of pasta can be just as cheap, especially if you catch them on sale. I find them to be heartier and tastier than Ramen for the most part. I think what I really dislike is the salty little packets of seasoning, so I guess if you're doctoring up the noodles without it, it might not be so bad (taste wise). Still, it might not be any cheaper, as noted.

I get that Ramen is handy, but yeah, I'd have to add other stuff. I guess I just overdid it when I was younger, because I can barely stomach the stuff these days.

I'd probably leave out the packet and add some cream sauce or a little melted cheese. Otherwise, I'd probably mix in tuna, which works for both hot and cold dishes. You could always add some bits of leftover veggies and some dressing like Italian for a pasta salad too.

12. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Pasta or soba may be the healthier noodle options, but every once in a great while I crave some ramen and egg. It’s a nostalgia thing for me, I think. I always add veggies as well, usually broccoli, spinach, peas and carrots. Sometimes mung bean sprouts if I have them. And sriracha is a nice addition when I want to spice it up. I use less broth and water since the noodles were always my favorite bit anyway.

13. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I'm kinda weird with what I usually put in my ramen. In the past I use to simply put hot sauce and ketchup in it. Then I upgraded to honey bbq sauce simply because it was sweet. Then I added cheese to the mix and that changed the game for me. After that I got a little bit crazy and decided to add in some lunch meet. There was even times that I experimented with using mayo in.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is this ramen shop called Shiro's Saimin Haven on the island of Oahu. th?id=A9g+1RzrMYaXKSQ480x360&w=95&h=87&c=7&rs=1&pid=3.1&rm=2.r7BoWkA&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0. Green leafy veggies, wombok or Chinese cabbage too can be added to let simmer in hot soup. Mustard cabbage is another green leafy vegetable great to add to hot ramen to let simmer and eat.
    agOaQmbdLMyNBA&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0. This has lots of green onions.
    Kauai Hawaii Food shop:
    th?&id=JN.lqqLLwO7n04mTJ6bqbNl2A&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0. The one ton added is made with one ton pi or square noodles that you fill with usually pork. I like my one ton filled with veggie burger crumble adding your flavor. Soy sauce is good flavor to add too and tobacco to the hotness you like!
    You can dress up your ramen with anything you like to eat with your ramen and soup! Enjoy!

15. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe I’m on another island but we have a similar noodle and sushi place downtown. It’s actually one of my favorite places for dates and such because it’s reasonably priced, it has a great selection for vegetarians, and it’s excellent inspiration for when I’m making my own nostalgic noodle dishes. Honestly, this whole thread makes me want to take myself out on a date there posthaste, haha.

#15Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  16. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I have added carrots to my ramen noodles. I have also eaten with bell pepper, onions, and smoked sausage. You can't tell me, when I make it that way, that I don't have a gourmet meal. I do not eat them as regularly now since I have come across some information recently about how long it takes for instant noodles to digest.

17. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I like all of the ideas here. I think I might have mentioned it on a different post but what I like to do is add frozen vegetables to it. If it's the kind that has mixed vegetables in it then that is even better. Left over meat like chicken is good to add. Sometimes if we have any hot sauce I will use that as well. I know someone who likes to add a slice of cheese and let it melt in the noodles. The thought, let alone the sight of it makes me want to barf.

18. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like to add chicken to my ramen and some good teriyaki sauce. I fry it all up in a pan and have a good time. It is a very affordable lunch option if you have meat in your home.