Impulse Buys?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Aug 29, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's relatively easy for someone who is out shopping for clothes to spot something which probably is trendy and since you have the money, you buy it anyway even though it wasn't on your budget or you didn't need it at all. Ever had that feeling of, "I just need to have that?"

Since in such a case going out with a shopping list doesn't help, how can you avoid getting caught in such snares? Leave your credit card at home or something?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that applying the rule that says "Wait X amount of time" before making a purchase works quite well in this case. That or teaching yourself to spend money on things that you truly need or matter - but this one's harder. Hiding from your impulse doesn't really help imo. One should try and rationalize the impulse, simply hiding credit cards is a temporary solution that will keep you forever wanting stuff that you'll later feel guilty for buying.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to impulse buy if I needed cheering up, I would put it in my basket and then think when will I realistically wear it and 'Do I need another black sweater?'
    I put things back because I don't need them if they are an addition to what I have. I have countless black dresses/sweaters, but will still look at them!
    I am more impulsive buying chocolate though as I can eat that instantly, so not much thought or deliberation needs to go into that and once eaten, then no need to think anymore! I did that once with a Godiva bar at CVS, it was good though.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really have particular products in my mind that I have to buy every time but I find myself obsessed when I see one that really peaked my interest. For example, just the other I saw this really cheap and cool computer up for sale and I was so obsessed by it that I wanted to buy so bad. Thank heavens I didn't' have my wallet on me that day otherwise I could've gone home with another computer that I would probably not use anyways.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right now I am buying pouches, wallets, earphones and headphones by impulse on Ebay, I actually bought 5 earphones and 1 headphone already since late August. I don't need them at all, but I want to collect them. They're quite cheap, so that helps me waste my money, lol.

I think we can avoid this pocket-draining habit by just not going inside the store at all. In the physical malls, since it requires effort to go there in the 1st place then it is more likely not to go into the stores that you know you can't help but buy something from. But online, where the items are visible by just 1 click, you must have zero Paypal balance to not be tempted into buying things you don't need.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    One way to avoid impulse buys is by shopping with a friend. Of course, this person has to be thrifty too - someone who will speak up if he or she sees you going for an item you don't need. Another method is by adopting a 'wait and see' policy. When I am unsure about purchasing a clothing item, I wait 24 hours and then see if I feel the same way. Ninety-nine percent of the time, I don't return to the store and buy it.