Impulse Thrift Shop Treasures And Purchases

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by LordAndSaver • May 22, 2016.

1. LordAndSaver

LordAndSaverMember

Threads:
    As a college student in Western New York, I went into the school year underestimating the amount of warm clothes I would need for the winter. Ordering things online was convenient, and the I like the products that I received, but the pricing was a little too steep to have a good amount of choices in what I could wear; I need variety in my life. The first time I went to AMVETS, outside of Buffalo, I was flabbergasted by the shear amount of choices that were available, especially in terms of men's clothing. I ended up picking up a bunch of sweaters, far more than what I intended to buy, just because the prices were so agreeable. I found this to be far more satisfying than shopping in my typical stores, just because how much more I got for less. Have you ever accidentally went on a shopping spree on cheap goods? I found an amazing navy fisherman's sweater, which was already soft from many washes. What sorts of treasures have you picked up?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't always shop in thrift shops, but once in a while I don't mind nipping for a quick look. I remember a few years ago I was very fortunate to pick up a gorgeous genuine Italian leather satchel for about £10! I just couldn't believe my luck. I still have that satchel, and yes I have a thing for satchels, and I treasure it as though it cost me a small fortune LOL -and I bet it cost a lot when it was first bought. It also seems to get better and better the older it gets. I LOVE it! People always ask me where I got it, and they never believe me when I tell them where it's from :)

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to go to the thrift shop to stretch my budget when I need something as opposed to wanting something. When I want a new sweater I will go to the regular store but when I need something to keep me warm on short notice and it maybe something I will not wear often I will go to the second hand store. I like to look for the you can find at the second hand store.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So far I have not yet stumbled upon a "thrift store treasure" item, but I sure have found a lot of value items for such a low price. Some clothes that I have bought in thrift stores are good as new!

5. LordAndSaver

LordAndSaverMember

Threads:
    I've found that I never find any treasures unless I'm specifically not actively looking for them. The treasures tend to find me, unless I'm looking through a giant rack with a lot of potential choices; it really varies. I've found going to better areas where people are giving their stuff away just to make room the that season's newest styles leads to a big hike in potential findings. I've found things that still had their tags on them! This is especially true once the weather starts to warm up and people are doing their spring cleaning!

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thrift stores often remind me of those one dollar or one pound stores. The things are a lot cheaper, and sue to that people often end up spending a lot more money there than they would like to admit, especially because a lot of the items are rare one-offs that you might not happen upon again.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good for you that you have found some clothing items that still have their tags in them. I still haven't stumbled upon such an item yet, but some clothes look really good as new.

8. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    I always love to browse the thrift stores and I have found some amazing treasures. I try not to buy what I don't need, but you can't have too narrow an idea of what you want either.

Generally I keep a list of things I am looking for when I go to thrift shops, and I'll see what they have that might work. Things like, long sleeved tee shirts, scarves, an end table, etc.

Last time I went, I found a really lovely long sleeved tee with my university's logo on it with the tags still on! :D

9. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've been able to pick up a few bargains in thrift stores. I was able to pick up some walking boots for an upcoming camping trip for £1. The same shoes I'd been looking for in a shop a few days prior to that would've cost me £45. It was an absolute bargain and they looked brand new.

I was also able to pick up some flip flops one time from a thrift store for £0.10 that were brand new as well, just because the football season was over and they had a football logo on them. They had boxes of them! I don't often wear flip flops but they made for great shoes to wear out in the yard in the summer and enabled me to keep the shoes I'd normally wear out there for longer as well!

I've also been able to pick up shirts and shorts for less than £1 before when it was the wrong time of year to wear them. I think it's all about the timing personally.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I go to thrift shops, I only have one goal: books. I do not really care for trinkets, bags and furniture since I'm not so big on fashion nor do I have my own place to use as I see fit. So it's basically just books - and tons of them, mind you. In fact, some of the rare novels I could no longer find at bookstores are surprisingly available at thrift shops. They are what I call "my treasures."

11. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to a thrift shop in forever, but I love exploring them and seeing all that I can find. I often find cute skirts there, I bought a blue one that looked just like new. I also like buying some of the cheap bracelets they have on sale and of course, as xTinx mentioned, books. I'm a huge historical fiction fan and once I got like four books for about two dollars. I have too many books as is so I've purposely been trying to avoid visiting thrift stores.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too like thrift shops for like most you can find just what you wanted for a big bargain! Saw a Gucci bad too, but I was looking for other things and wondered if I should get an ebay acct. to sell these things like the Gucci bad I found at the thrift shop? Love window shopping and I have a membership card for Saver's that has tremendous sales for card holders we get through e-mail!

13. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have to say I do enjoy going to Value Village to see what treasures I can find. When I have the time and patience to hunt I like to go through the clothing racks. They had a 50% off sale on all jeans the other day and I found a brand new pair of Levis that looked like they hadn't been worn in my size and got them for $10. It was a great deal. I have found so many great tops that I just love. I've almost doubled my wardrobe now and have spent under $100 doing so. I only wished I had started shopping there sooner. I love getting a good deal and I don't mind wearing used clothing so long as they don't appear already worn. Blouses are great since the fabric doesn't show wear and tear. I also love finding clothes with the tags still on them too.