In Store Pick Up

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by thisnthat • May 28, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I have used this service to get something online and have it sent to a store, to be picked up later. It's one way to save on shipping, so it can be a useful service.

I've also learned that you can order other things like groceries, which someone will go and gather for you and have them ready for pick up when you arrive. Walmart will even load them into your vehicle,, and they offer all this free (in certain locations). There's even an app.

I haven't tried it, since I generally prefer to select my own groceries, but it certainly sounds useful. There are days that I can't shop on my own, so this would be pretty Handy.

Have you tried this service at Walmart or any other store? If so, what was your experience with it?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Here where I am currently living there is a store that I buy groceries from and I always chose the in store pick up option and I have no complaints. At first I was worried since I like to pick my own items especially when it comes to the fruits and vegetables, of course I like to pick the best ones. To my surprise the employees always chose good products for me, I have not recieved a single rotting fruit or vegetable and all products are in good shape. I save time and money as this is a free service.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried the service where you can rider online and then pick the item up at the store, and Walmart offered this service for most of the items they sell online. It does take a few days for the item to get to the store; but there is no shipping charge. We have one of the Walmart neighborhood groceries not very far from where we live, and I can have items sent there instead of to one of the large Walmart stores, which are much further away.
    I have not tried the online grocery shopping; but I can see that this could be a very handy thing for handicapped people, or even those without a vehicle and had to get a ride somewhere to shop. If all the driver had to do was take them through the checkout window to have the groceries loaded up, that would be a much faster trip than if they had to wait while the person shopped.
    I buy mostly fresh fruits and vegetables, and I like to pick them out myself, and also watch for bargains; so it is unlikely that i would use this service.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like online buying and store pickup. So far I've done that with OfficeDepot.com and it works like a charm With Walmart, every item I try to buy no store pickup. One of my favorite Walmart that I shop at all the time is beginning to have store pickup too, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for in-store pickup for items I buy. Having ebates.com that you get paid for buying online with Walmart is one of the stores to get money shopping online with is superb too! Saving money shopping at Walmart and getting money back from ebates.com is fantastic!

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do have this order and collect service in the UK, it's generally called click n' collect and is useful for people who don't have time to shop, or maybe are disabled and can't physically go around the store. They could order and then get someone to pick it up, or go in a taxi to collect it which can be more convenient that a delivery.

I do understand it's better to pick your own items, but for can, packets, and things that aren't fresh it should be fine. The only thing I would be concerned with is substitutes, but you can choose whether to accept them in the order or not. TK Maxx also offer a collect service, but you do have to pay for it, and other stores offer a free collection and returns service.

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's really cool that the option is free. I was expecting to be a bit pricey for such a service. I didn't want to add to the grocery budget in order to take advantage of it, but for free, I just might do it.

I would be a little concerned about produce, but @kamai@kamai seems to have had a good experience with that. It does make sense that they'd want to give you good stuff, so they don't get bad reviews. I think my biggest concern would be with choosing meats. That I would need to do on my own, but I can buy meat at a nearby store that has a good butcher (whom I have known for many years).

I hope your local Walmart stoes get with it soon, @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe.

We have TJ Maxx here, @Theo@Theo. Are they the same thing? I'd want to go in there and get my own stuff, because I love looking around in there. They have so many cute things for decent prices.

7. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am pretty sure that I have had times when this option ended up taking longer than it would have just to go in a and get the thing. Not often, hopefully at least, but something to keep in mind.

8. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @larryl332@larryl332 Oh, really? I figured they'd have everything ready by a set time and ready to go when you got there. That could be a bit frustrating and kind of defeats the purpose of engaging the service. I hate to wait. Time is money, right?

I think it would be okay for me, since I don't live really close to any of the stores that offer it. The closest one is a good 20 miles away, so it would take me a little while to get there. They should certainly be ready for me by the time I arrive. Maybe if I try it, I'll call when I'm on my way to make sure.

I guess it could be an issue if you live right around the corner or something. I guess you could just give them a time and ask them to make sure it's ready by then. Do they do that?

#8May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2017
  9. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    I am one of the (few?) people who actually enjoy doing their grocery shopping, and so I wouldn't use a service like the one you described where someone at the shop gathers everything for you and you just walk in and collect. Where's the fun in that? I like to walk around and select my own products. I guess that service could come in handy for people who are super-busy, though.

10. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy doing my own shopping as well, especially for groceries, and we usually buy from the fresh foods area of the store so picking out the best items is important. One good example might be lettuce. It is usually about $1 per head of lettuce here; but when you pick up the heads of lettuce, you can see that they come in all sizes and weights. I always look for a large heavy head of lettuce, because you get more for your money that way.
    Having the store pickup if great when you do not need the item for a few days, and it is something that the store does not have in stock, so you can't just buy it while you are there.
    Walmart often has online specials, and you can't get them in the store, you have to order it online; but you can do the store pick-up option and save on shipping costs.

11. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have ordered something from Walmart online and picked it up in store before. I have not ordered groceries or anything like that but I do see the convenience of it. I have also seen that they are offering a discount if you pick it up in store instead of having it shipped to your home. Usually I like to just have the things delivered to me since that is one of the things that I like about shopping online. I always look for deals on free shipping.

12. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    I've never used the Walmart In Store Pick Up service as I am in the UK. But I have used several of the Click & Collect services (this is what it is called in the UK) for several stores. It's extremely easy and convenient because usually the products are delivered to your local stores the next day which is perfect. You don't have to wait for delivery and you can go and pick your item up at a convenient location and at a convenient time. This is perfect for someone who is working or if you forgot about a special occasion like a birthday. The fact it is free is also amazing!

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have had some no so convenient experiences with this one so I really like to go in with an open mind and not really expect anything too much. When it is done right though it can save a lot of time.