In the office during the holidays...

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by alc89 • Nov 5, 2012.

1. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Do any of you give gifts to your office and/or your co-workers during the holidays? I was still new during the last holidays, so I did not feel inclined to do so. But this year, I feel a little differently. I don't think I need to give individualized gifts for each person, nor do I have the finances to do so. Should I bake cookies or bring in cupcakes?

2. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I think something baked should be fine. When I was a teacher, we would buy each other a small gift within our grade levels. Sometimes there were baked goods and sometimes they were little trinkets like a nice set of notepads. I don't think any of us spent over $15 total.

3. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Why not bake cupcakes or even a cake for them. They will really appreciate that more than a gift from the store. I would love to even have a potluck lunch for a present so everyone can enjoy themselves together. That's better than a store bought gift anyday for me. You don't always have to spend a lot of money on something because you took the time to put love in it also.

4. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Baked goods or store-bought cupcakes, either choice is fine. If you are someone who likes to cook, and you feel comfortable baking the cookies, then I think you should go for it. Share your baking talent with your co-workers. If you have just recently taken up baking as a new hobby, then I would probably go for the store bought cupcakes, lol.

Either way, it is the thought that counts. Mostly everyone appreciates 'sweets' that are brought into the office during the holidays.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    You can also make cookies or cupcakes and then give each person their own. One of my co-workers at a previous job would make these large sized Santa cookies and give each one of us one along with a card. Another idea would be to make a gift bag for each person with 4-6 cookies in each bag. This would be a way of making it easier and more affordable for you but still giving each person a gift.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Wow I think that you are thoughtful. Well if I were your office mate, I would prefer cupcakes. It's just that I am not really a fan of cookies. :D But I am sure that whatever you will give them, they will appreciate it.

7. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddyMember

Threads:
    Bake some cookies and make sure to have extras. Employees love extras!

8. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    That is a great idea. It makes it personalized, but it doesn't take any more effort. Like I said, my office is very small so it really won't be a problem to set aside bags for each person. I can probably make a few different kinds of cookies - just a batch of each so it looks like more variety. Thanks everyone for all of your great input. I think that I will definitely make some cookies or cupcakes, as I am comfortable with baking!

9. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    My coworkers and I don't do gifts, but we do all bring goodies to share throughout the month. No one really plans anything. It's just if you feel like it. It works nicely, but we all probably gain ten pounds eating everything. We also share a holiday meal. Everyone pays their own way. It's just a fun time together.

10. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I think bringing in baked cookies or cupcakes is a great idea and a lot easier on the pockets too. I did that one Christmas season in the office and it was a great success. It's not the amount but the thought that counts. A little goes a long way.

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Cupcakes always works and is easier than slicing a cake and having to bring in plates and utensils. It's a nice gesture and you can go to the dollar store and buy a box of cards. A card and a cupcake is always sweet and welcomed.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think baked goods are a really good way to go. It's much cheaper and it's still personal, but it doesn't require you to get something for every single person in the office. You could do a couple different kinds and just set them up in the breakroom as a gift to the whole office even.

13. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Sure that is the way to go for the people at work. I would appreciate that more than anything. I love the homebaked goods that different people bake as long as they are clean while doing it. Sometimes you have to watch out for the person that cooks the food, sometimes you will get food poisoning like I did on a job and was sick for days.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oy, yeah. I really hate when I have to turn down food because I know the person doesn't exactly have the greatest cleanliness habits...and I'm afraid that they may not have been that sanitary when they were baking either. I appreciate the offer, but I just don't want to have to think about what might be in that food. *shudders*