Increase Your Serotonin Naturally

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Diane Lane • Nov 9, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think we're all aware by now that Serotonin is a neurotransmitter in our brains that affects our sense of well being. If it's low, we often feel depressed, and if it's high, we feel a lot better. When Fall and Winter come along, many times, people will start to feel somewhat sad, or at least less perky than they were during the Spring and Summer. Rather than turning to medication, I prefer to get my fix through nature and natural methods. Doing this not only saves money, but is healthier.

Here's an article from Mother Nature Network that talks about some natural methods we can use to increase our Serotonin.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, recent (I believe) studies suggest it's too much serotonin that causes anxiety.. not too little, like previously thought. So as with anything else, we should always be careful with tweaking aspects of our health without knowing for sure if it's the answer or not..
    That said, nature is my go-to for pretty much everything.. works like a charm, you can't go wrong :)

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for posting, Diane Lane! I wish I'd seen this a couple of years ago when I was living in in the UK. I could really have done with it. I have heard that boosting your serotonin levels can help you sleep better, and I used to suffer very badly with insomnia in the UK. I suppose as with everything else, you don't want to go OTT with it because everything works well or for the best in moderation.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That could explain why SSRIs work initially but the more someone takes them, the less effective they get to be. I had a look at article and I do think what's recommended is much better because something like getting more sunlight won't cause your serotonin levels to spike too high.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Not exactly - as apart from the fact that the answer as to why that may happen in some patients is already known - the average person would not have to worry about spikes in serotonin levels either.

For the simple reason that - although JosieP is correct in saying that a recent study did suggest that too much serotonin may increase anxiety levels in some patients.
    As it was a small scale study conducted in order to research serotonin levels in a small group of patients suffering from social phobia - whose bodies naturally produced high levels of serotonin - the findings of that study are not in any way conclusive - particularly as - not only do the results only suggest that this may be the case in that small group of patients whose serotonin levels are naturally elevated - but more importantly as serotonin levels vary from person to person - it does not mean that it would be the case for everyone.

I would also just add that - although this new finding doesn't exactly challenge past research and further investigation is still very much needed - especially as - even after countless years of clinical studies - there is as yet no conclusive evidence - to say one way or the other - or even whether decreased levels of serotonin contribute to depression or depression causes a decrease in serotonin levels - these new findings will aid future investigations and hopefully improve how anxiety is treated

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't actually read the study.. I'd pick it apart to death lol. I'm not a fan of the "chemical imbalance" card and I think the answers to our depression and anxieties are right in front of us (society and what it makes us ignore in ourselves) and not IN us. So when it comes to the chicken or the egg (depression/anxiety causing the "imbalances" or vice versa) it's definitely the chicken imo. Our brains are too powerful.. our thoughts become everything. That's why I do believe nature should be a part of us all.. a place where we can ground ourselves again and catch a glimpse of what we really are. Because as we get further and further from what and who we really are, the more depressed and anxious the world becomes.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shoot, forgot my point lol.. regardless of any study or what medicine is available or what society tells you or what you THINK you know about anxiety/depression etc.. know what's going on in your body before trying to tweak things, naturally or not. People die every day from making assumptions about their health and natural doesn't always mean better.. especially if the body doesn't need it.

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Well here's the thing - you are totally right not believing in the " chemical imbalance " theory - particularly as the chemistry of the brain is so incredibly complex - that even after decades and decades of research - scientists themselves don't even agree with the “ chemical imbalance “ theory or any other theory for that matter - as not only are the causes of depression far more complex than a simple deficiency in neurotransmitters - but how the brain works let alone the chemistry is still not yet fully understood.

That said - although I would agree that - the term “ I'm depressed “ is a common and very often misused phrase these days and possibly symptomatic of living in the ailing, self-centered, materialistic world of today - it is very easy to lose sight of the fact that - not only is everyone unique in their own way - as are their capabilities of dealing depression - but that there is huge difference between clinical depression and the normal everyday blues - especially as the former is a very real and serious disease that can have devastating effects on a person's life - both physically and mentally.

Its also worth bearing in mind - that as depression is generally associated with the mind - its all too easy to assume that the cause of depression is purely psychological - when in actual fact - as there are numerous medical conditions as well as many medications that can also trigger severe depression - many people could in reality - get far greater benefit from having a thorough medical check up to deal with a possible physical cause - rather than go down the psychological route.

Either way - as depression is a very complex disease that is not yet fully understood and also one that involves treatment on an individual basis - as there is no one size fits all solution to the problem - all the more reason why symptoms of depression should never be ignored - especially as the sooner it is recognized the better the outcome and yes - the natural approach is very definitely always the better option - preferably on an individual basis with the support of someone qualified in that field - in fact drugs should only ever be a last resort - particularly as - there are no medications that have the capability to either cure depression or change a person's circumstances - as they are in reality - nothing more than a crutch with unpleasant side effects.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I absolutely would never suggest someone ignore depression. I suffered for many years and I still believe what I believe. But I'm also aware of those who are deepest in and aware it's not all so simple. I'm just writing posts in a forum, as quickly as possible, throwing out my opinions as summarized as possible, so it's hard to cover every aspect of each topic I throw a strong opinion at. Irresponsible, but will only change if given a living wage to do so lol. There are many causes of depression.. my own personal not-pushing-on-anyone belief is that if we all dig deep enough, it all reaches back to what we're depriving ourselves of.. and most of us are depriving ourselves whether we believe so or not (depriving ourselves of health, of nature, of who and what we are, of knowledge, of nutrition, of self respect, of of of of of).. we are far from our roots now and getting further away faster than any point in our history here. But yes, there are large differences in levels of depression and obviously those who can't figure out how to get out of it or, in many cases, refuse to believe they can, should seek help in finding their way. I may not believe in the depression everyone else does and may give us humans and our amazing brains far more credit than most, but I do know the only help offered at this time should be considered, most definitely. I got out of it on my own once I truly faced myself, but not many can even find the mirror, let alone inspect what's inside. I was there too at one point; I get it...

#9Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I hear you JosieP - but have to say that your response has made me think - that we maybe need to clear the air - especially as - although its very definitely not the case - I get the feeling that you seem to think I am knocking you in some way - when in fact its quite the opposite - as I very much admire your way of thinking and respect your opinions too - particularly as my beliefs and my way of thinking is very much along the same lines as you.

That said - as I also think we are both looking toward the same goal - I will just say that in future if you notice that I'm being a bit nit picky with facts - please be assured that I'm not knocking you personally - but merely presenting the actual facts - which are especially important to me where people's health is concerned - for the simple reason - that millions of people die unnecessary deaths or suffer hazardous consequences each year - as a result of inaccurate, misleading and misconstrued medical/health information - obtained via the internet - mainly due to the majority of that information being based on unqualified opinions and assumptions rather than actual fact.

11. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Are we counting 5-htp as natural? I'd say that's the best and fastest way, second to that getting qualiy sleep, and maximising daylight hours is the next best method. However without adequate precursors, and cofactors, nothing will help much.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing the article. Living in Canada we have winter 5 months of the year and as the days get shorter you can really see how some people are affected by this. I have noticed that more stores are selling "natural light therapy" to offset the affects of Seasonal Affective Disorder. I think they range anywhere from $ $75 - 250. Following some of the ideas in the article could definitely save you money.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No no no.. no clearing the air. I do the same thing when it comes to conversations on nutrition and health etc.

Conversation until proven argument lol, I appreciate that you seem to see things that way as well. Until someone starts getting personal or immature, I'm just discussing. I don't get offended when someone sees things differently, rather, I enjoy digging in that way.. we learn so much more from each other when we allow a discussion to stay a discussion lol. I do get misread a lot since I do need to summarize and can't say absolutely everything I need to to be as clear as possible. I'm not so great at this forum writing thing and I do worry about those quietly reading taking any of my messages the wrong way and being hurt by them.

The thing is, fact isn't fact.. every single day things change and we learn and we discover and I'm pretty clear (I thought so anyway, but maybe not lol) about what I THINK instead of what I know, when it comes to depression etc. Even food and health isn't concrete.. give me any study.. even one that backs my own ideas.. and I'll show you how it could be wrong and what it's missing and how it could be improved to be more relevant. Like, how about more studies including people eating healthy diets??? lol. bet a lot of what they "KNOW" about illness would change. We need all sides to get better pictures of almost everything we think we know right now and sadly, that's not happening. Slowly but surely, but right now, much of what we know isn't thorough enough.. especially when it comes to health, so I see no fact, just lots of discussion.. which I, in my unqualified way, enjoy adding to :)

But yes, if you catch me throwing out anything as absolute fact, please correct me.. I was thinking of adding a disclaimer to my signature so I wouldn't have to keep reminding people in every single post that I'm just a nobody with a strong opinion lol. I mean, I know they know, but I don't want anyone thinking I'm imagining myself some sort of doctor or scientist or something lol.

#13Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad people are interested enough in the topic to post and share information and ideas. Nature is also where I go for healing, and that's much easier to do down here than it was in Massachusetts, especially in the middle of Winter. Eating good foods as much as possible, spending time outside, letting go of 'the things of man' while I spend time outdoors, and focusing on my breathing and the natural elements around me, do wonders.

15. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I increase my serotonin levels by using a medically certified sun lamp, which I use for an hour when I first wake up in the morning. It is great, and I find that my sleeping patterns have improved, and I always feel a lot better for the rest of the day when I have used it. It wasn't too expensive either, so I do think that it is something that everybody should try if they can.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for that Diane Lane. I signed up for that newsletter. I prefer the colder months myself because that is what I grew up with and I like to be ensconced in my house when the weather is bad. There is something comforting about the dark and yes even the cold and snow. I enjoy pleasant sunny weather as well. However, yes, we have a pill popping society in the US and it is far from the answer for everything.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My go-to and I'm currently far from it at the moment and feeling the effects. People don't realize just how much they need nature, whether they grew up hating it or not. The minute I step into the trees I feel at home and completely zenned out lol. The minute I hear water and can sit with it and watch it do it's thing, I'm drawn back to myself and can think clearly again. I think everyone should try a good hike before they try the latest pill lol...

18. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lots of good stuff in this thread. Thanks for bringing it up, Diane.

I have to agree that nature does instill its own healing properties. For me, it makes me feel closer to God and more at peace with the world. The fresh air, the beauty, all of it, has a calming influence on me that lends itself to better relaxation. I love to sit and listen to a stream. I'm also like a plant and need my sunshine, ha ha. It's also free to take a walk. Can't get any cheaper than that.

I'm also all for avoiding the latest pill...