Indie films

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Mayvin • Aug 30, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Some Indie films I find are better the bigger budget movies you find in the thearter today. One of my altime favorites was "boys don't cry." Granted it was a bit heavy in terms of subject matter buy Hillary Swank did such a good job playing that part and and she ended up winning an Oscar for the role. I was amazed to find out that she was only paid $3,000 dollars for that role but it paid off big for her in the end.

What are some of your favorite Indie films?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sure there are thousands of movies most people don't know were released as Indie films but so much money that one would think a major studio was behind them. Take Terminator for example. How many people know it's an Indie film?

Most Indie film-makers have little money for special effects so must rely on the story to entertain their target audience. That's probably the reason why most Indie films are so much better than big-budget films [because the stories always are at worst, OK].

The best Indie film I've watched has to be The Blair Witch project.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I remember Boys Don't Cry. I just started high school when that film came out. I didn't see the movie until a few years later and it was great. I've always had a preference for Indie films. The storytelling is so much better and production is not bother with stress from major studios or A List stars' egos. It's about the craft. Two of my favorite Indie films are Ordinary People and In The Bedroom. I can't get enough of these 2 films. I was a teenager when I saw them for the first time. I watched Ordinary People during my junior year in high school when my teacher showed the film to the class and In The Bedroom a few years later on DVD.

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that Boys Don't Cry was an Indie film. :confused: Anyway, I guess Indie films are getting popular these days that even big celebrities in our country are taking part in it. I have lots of favorite Indie films in our country but when it comes to foreign indie films, my favorite is also The Blair Witch Project. So simple yet so scary. :eek:

5. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    This:

One of the most talked-about of recent memory is the Human-Centipede :D
    More because of the nastiness, than the actual quality of the movie though...
    The movie in itself was ok... I thought the guy who played the Doc was brilliant.

6. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Indie movies are not a thing here in my country, no one publishes or manages the indie movie industry although I'd like to watch a few of the good ones. I'm trying to get my hands on Angry Video Game Nerd The Movie :p , just waiting for it to get released.

Lol, Human Centipede is sick and not the good kind. I didn't watch the movies but just reading about it made me want to throw up.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Man, I just noticed how I misspelled alot of words on this post, opps.... But on a separate note, I still can't believe that she only made $3,000 dollars for that movie. But she shined a light on the emotional as well as physical struggles people living transgender endure. She really earned and deserved the Oscar she received.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Better Luck Tomorrow is a great indie film, and the movie was the jump start to director, Justin Lin's directing career. It had an all Asian cast. It was about an overachieving highschooler named Ben Manibag, who was on course to go to the university of his choice, but for thrills and extra money, got involved with drugs, along with his friends. So, he has to try and maintain a double life.

9. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    Indie movies are the best experiences sometimes. Most of the time, they don't get it right, but when they do, they ace it! I still remember watching the Left 4 Dead fan made movie. It still haunts me!