Individual services better than cable/ satellite?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by micromachne • Jul 14, 2012.

1. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    Most of us here that pay our own bills know how draining cable/satellite bills can be. This is only magnified by the fact that more often that not, there is nothing worth watching. And when there is something worth watching, they have a habit of putting all the good stuff on at once. Right now, My T.V. bills comes in at about $100.

I've started to use my Playstation 3 more with Netflix and Hulu Plus. When Neon Alley and Crunchyroll come out, that'll be a total of four services I'll be paying for. But in total the four combined come out to $30 a month. And with those four, all my needs are met outside of actually watching the news, which I can do on the internet.

So, I'm seriously considering just purchasing individual services that I have at least some control over what I watch and when I want to watch it rather than pay $100 for something that almost never has what I want on.

2. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    Based on what you have said, I think you should go for the individual services. You are right that satellite/cable have sooo many pointless things on it that just work to hack up the price you have to pay. I am thinking about switching to the individual things as well.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    If you can truly limit what you want to watch to $30, then I agree, stick with that. However, I'm seeing more and more people add this streaming service and that service to the point where they are almost paying the same amount, if not more than they would for cable. When I have to use more than two, three services in streaming and then two or three items in the computer, console and TV, just to watch TV, then I think I'd rather just stick with my dish and that is not even counting what I would need for sports.

4. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:

If they're paying equal or more than cable with having various services, then they're overpaying and bought more than they needed to. Plain and simple.

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I won't say that they bought more than they needed. Who am I to tell them that they should cut out one of the services? If they feel they want or need all of them, that is on them. I'm just saying that quite a few people are on that track and I doubt if they completely realize it because all they are looking at is $7.00 here, $8.00 there, $5.00 for this and something else for that. But, if they feel like they have all of their viewing needs in order, cool. I'd rather just pay for my satellite dish and go from there.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been largely pleased with services like Netflix and such. But I have several, and by the time you add these all up, it's pretty much as expensive as cable.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for confirming my previous point. Not all of these services have the same thing, so you buy one for this show and that one for that show and the next thing you know, you have a cable bill spread out over a bunch of providers. Then, on top of that, you'll eventually start getting hit with some fee from the cable company about your usage or will be strongly encouraged to step up to the next package.

8. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    That doesn't confirm anything.

All that could very well show is that he simply paid for too many things.

Like I myself I have Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and KSP online (recently bought into). Together, I pay about $25 bucks a month for the four of them. My Cable bill would come up as just under $100. So you pick and choose.

Right now with the four combined I have, now EVERYTHING is covered. Because when I didn't have KSP online I was missing sports and news. But now with that, between those four, I get EVERYTHING needed.

9. HughIvar

HughIvarBanned

Threads:
    You are right that satellite/cable have sooo many pointless things on it that just work to hack up the price you have to pay. I am thinking about switching to the individual things as well.