Indoor Plants - Low Cost Solution For Better Air Quality In Your Homes

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Jamille • Aug 12, 2017.

1. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Buying a purifier or ionizer for your home can make a dent in your budget and add to your electricity consumption. You can save some money by bringing home some superhero plants that do triple duty: they clean the air, provide green indoor decor, and do not consume electricity to do their job.

Here are some low maintenance indoor plants that can help fight against common volatile organic compounds (VOCs):

Peace lily (Spathiphyllum) - This plant just need weekly watering and shade and is quite effective for fighting air pollutants such as ammonia, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, and benzene.

Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum morifolium) - This air-purifying plant is great for removing xylene, formaldehyde, ammonia, and benzene.

Aloe vera - This wonder shrub helps clear the air of formaldehyde and benzene and contains gel that can help heal cuts and burns.

English ivy (Hedera helix) - This is known to filter out formaldehyde and lessen airborne fecal matter particles.

Spider plant
    snake plant
    Sansevieria bacularis
    Warneck dracaena
    Chinese evergreen
    Bamboo palm

Having these indoor plants in your home is one of the best low cost ways to go green.

2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tip I know that plants do have the freshening effect when indoors. The important thing is to know the best types of plants to place indoors that may help to purify the atmosphere within. I see that you have suggested a few plants that would help, thanks. I will have to check for the availability of these plants in my locale with a view to trying them.

3. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have never really thought too much about them as a means of air quality, but it makes a lot of sense and I might have to rethink my approach here. Looks and function is always a plus.

4. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a farm, I have a garden where I grow various species of plants, including flowers, vegetables, even trees. However, I don't have indoor plants in my farm house. When I open my windows I get fresh country air. I never thought about having indoor plants to improve air quality in the rooms. However, I believe this is a great idea.

5. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for this wonderful information. I planned to add some plants to my garden and I will buy these indoor plants. Having plants indoor is natural and we don't have to worry about fresh air. Great idea. :)

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with the indoor plants to provide fresh air. And although the fresh air produced by the plants is just a meager amount, the aesthetic appeal gives the living room an atmosphere of green. And why use ionizers or any other gadget for purified air when we can use potted plants for the purpose. It is cheap and natural too.

7. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I have a purifier in my son room, he really needs it, but in the rest of the house, we have a lot of plants. I heard that Aloe Vera it absorbs the bad smells from the house and releases very much fresh oxygen and that this plant is the best natural purifier!

8. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the information. I too think that plants can be a good substitute to clear the air at home. I have started planting at home. I really need plants which are low maintenance, since I am not at home the whole day and in the morning before going to the office I am so busy that I often forget to water the plants. Please tell me some plants which will need minimum care and will still flourish. Thanks.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aloe vera is so easy to care for too though it loves lots of water. I use run off water from washing dishes or veggies and fruits, catch it and give the run off to my plants. I have aloe vera, red ti leaf and ferns. My polka dot plant died. These plants are outside plants for now. I have bought bamboo for indoor plant. Just put my bamboo in a holder with water, it' thrives and brings good luck for your home too. I love aloe vera. I have an herb called broad leaf plantain too which I use for teas after I dry it in my fridge. Thanks for the tip!