Inexpensive Trimmer/edger String?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • May 17, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still have a little of the string that came with my stringer/trimmer, but I would like to purchase at least another spool, if not a few more. I know the size and obviously have the brand name and model number, but it seems to be difficult to find the actual brand name string that fits this model.

Does anyone have experience with using generic string or using a different brand name string on an edger/trimmer? I would prefer to get spools, since I do have some hand and wrist issues, but if I have to, I can probably wind it myself.

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've used the stuff from dollar store type places before with trimmers I've had and it seemed to work just fine when I tried it. As long as it seems to match and be the right size, etc, then it should be okay. I never had any issue anyway. I'm not sure if they still sell it in those sorts of shops any more though. It might be worth looking anyway!

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have purchased from Ebay for my trimmer. The spool had cracked and was no longer useful and being an older model trimmer it was difficult to find at hardware and home improvement stores. It came with the string on the spool and was a 2 pack. Once both have been depleted I'm going to buy the string and wrap it on the spool myself.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @cocolgooh@cocolgooh I was at Dollar Tree the other day, but didn't think to look to see if they had any trimmer string. Last year, I had some in my eBay watch list, but it seems to have disappeared somehow. I found one on Amazon, but the reviews aren't that great, although they are mixed, and some people just seem inclined to enjoy complaining. Most of the complaints stated that the string had fused together, which is the issue I had just the other day, but that was after a season of using it, so perhaps that's understandable. I might end up buying the string and winding it myself, although that wouldn't be my first choice @MrsJones@MrsJones, I have read that they tend to mess up more when hand wound, because they're not as tight or uniformly loaded, but I'll definitely do that if I have to.