Innovative ways to keep your mind from feeling tired during workouts

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by maddie • Oct 18, 2012.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Keeping you mind in check is the biggest part of the workout, not the workout itself. I keep looking at the timer and feeling more and more drained out towards the end. Have you had similar issues - what do you do to keep your mind off the tiredness? Please share your tips here.

2. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I do remember one of the worst pains I have gone through and tell myself that what I'm going though during the workout doesn't even compare to it. I then train as if I was going to be 'canceled' if I didn't reach a certain goal:)

3. untitled

untitledMember

Threads:
    Personally I just ignore anything related to not finishing my workout. It's easier to make really specific goals that you know you can achieve that day so that you can stay focused.

4. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I drink a tea called Yogi Energy Tea before working out. I'm not a coffee drinker, so this tea gives me a little more energy to get going. I also like to read fitness magazines and books for about 15-20 minutes before my workout to get me motivated. I also have what I call my motivation board that I set up right in front of where I workout. On this board I have pictures of women in fitness (plus a couple of me when I was in the best shape ever at 43) whose bodies inspire me to push harder. I also have a picture of my daughters on there, because they are a big reason I want to stay in shape.

It's hard to be tired when I have all these energy motivators in line. I'm anxious to read other peoples tips, too.

5. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    I love listening to music when I have my workout. They keep my mind alive while I am performing my exercise routines. With the upbeat tune of the music, your mind can't really go wandering.

6. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Another good thing to do is work out with a friend. A workout buddy is really a great way to stay motivated. Plus, you can get to know each other or catch up. The more you laugh and have fun, the less "working out" seems like a chore. If you have a lot of fun, you'll look forward to hanging out by working out - and pretty soon, it'll become habit. It'll be weird to not be active or not see a particular friend.

If you get tired, then just slow down. Take it easy. You can walk the rest of of your work out instead of huffing and puffing and getting yourself hurt. The most important thing is to realize that every thing you do takes you one step closer to your goal - whether it's to be more active, gain more muscle, lose weight, etc.

7. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Sandooch, I love your tips. I am going to try these. I don't know about the tea but I will read fitness magazines or watch a video and try the motivation board. I know the motivation board has always helped me achieve my goals. Thanks for reminding me.
    @ vida I love music and listen to it during workouts. I may need to change to something more energetic.

8. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I usually do my limited exercises in the morning. It is more stimulating to me. When I feel myself drifting during the day,, I will do what I call, my blowfish, because of looking like a blowfish when you do it. It stimulates your brain. You close your mouth, hold your nose if you need too, then blow several times, to allow oxygen to flow into your brain. This stimulates your brain. It can also be used if you need to stay awake and you do not want to sleep.. This will wake you up. Doing this will also stop headaches. Do several sessions, blowing softly. I never use or take headache pills, I do the blowfish, It works.

9. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I arrange the music I listen to so that it gives me a boost when I need it. I usually listen to slow music as I start on the treadmill and then more upbeat ones later on to pick up the pace. 75% into the workout I start to tire out so I make sure I listen to my favorite dance music songs to boost my energy. Then near the end I have a couple of slow songs for a cool down. It really works!

10. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I actually put my Ipod on when I work out. I have wireless earphones and basically that's what I do. I listen to music and through this I keep myself on pace. THis also prevents me from looking to the clock over and over again because my attention is on my workout and the songs I am listening to. I just don't know if this works on everybody else.

11. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with many of the comments on this topic. While we realize exercise is important to maintain a balance between body and mind. If we feel uncomfortable or tired thoughts, it is important to breathe deeply and try to return to our axis. Anyway, it is normal that those thoughts appear. With the passage of time and a lot of practice, concentration becomes commonplace and feelings to be extremely pleasurable exercise. Constancy and enjoyment are essential in physical work, even in all sports. :D

12. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Music, however, doesn't work for everyone. I think people who are running will really benefit from music - there are a lot of great mixes and playlists on the internet. I know many friends who go to the gym to work out and they'll bring along their iPads (or use a machine with a television) and watch a show or movie. When we are watching a show at home, we can easily sit on the couch for 30-60 minutes. The time goes by so quickly; so my friends and I have resorted to watching TV while working out. It means that when the show is over, we've worked out (please note: this is usually on a treadmill, a stationary bike, an elliptical, etc.) 30-60 minutes depending on the length of the show without once thinking about the time, wanting to do something else, or being bored. Honestly, you kill two birds with one stone!

13. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't watch TV at all except for the news. I am sure this will really work for those who love certain shows. I think music and some youtube video on weight-loss will keep me motivated enough from a personal standpoint. I have been doging this the last couple of days and I am able to go till the end of the 40 minutes that I have scheduled for my exercises. Thanks for adding your inputs. I am sure they will help a lot of people.

14. marciana

marcianaMember

Threads:
    Get a picture of yourself when you were still slim, and look at that every now and then instead of the timer. Or if you have not been slim in your life, then just cut a pihoto of the supermodel you wish you have the kind of body and hang it in the timer. Visuals always work in keeping up with the work out. With that photo as your inspiration, it is not hard to reach for your goal.

15. harryca

harrycaNew Member

Threads:
    Well if you keep on looking at the timer every few seconds you will be having a hard time, as time will seem to pass at a much slower rate. What I do when I use the treadmill in order to keep my motivation levels high is to start at a low level of intensity and increase the incline every 2 minutes. When I reach the middle of my workout I start lowering the intensity. That way you will challenge yourself at the start, when your energy levels are high, and by the time you are close to the finish the exercise will get easier so you will be more eager to complete it! I hope this helps!