Insect Repellent Lotion

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by gracer • Jul 28, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    For my family's protection, I make sure that we always have insect repellent lotion at home. I do this most especially during the rainy season when mosquitoes increase in number. Sometimes I would use "Off Lotion" but sometimes I use lotions with natural ingredients such as citronella and eucalyptus.

What brand of insect repellent lotion do you use?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OFF is also the insect repellent that I use. Ever since I was a child, I was already a magnet for mosquitoes that's why I have learned to live with OFF lotion even here at home. Sometimes mosquitoes are able to come in even if we have screen doors (although occasionally only) and when I feel a mosquito bite, it is automatic for me to apply OFF lotion to my skin. Especially now that there is a prevalence of dengue here, Off lotion will keep me safe.

3. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    We've always used Off! insect repellant lotion. I've used it as a kid and now my son is using it. The thing is, I still find mosquito bites on him. The formula must've been changed a lot because it's not as effective as it used to. We're better off with indoor plants that mosquitos would hate.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I have also been propagating citronella in our backyard. I have tried putting some in vases and placed them near our front door so we could avoid mosquitoes from entering the house. I'm quiet paranoid these days since a lot of Dengue cases have been reported here in our place. I also tried putting mosquito repellent patches on my child's clothing aside from the "Off" lotion that I apply on his skin.

5. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Green Cross Active Protection is a cheaper alternative but just as effective. While Off Overtime promises protection against mosquitoes for 8 hours, Green Cross offers 10 hours of protection. I would be careful about using insect repellent on very young kids as they might accidentally ingest it. I've used citronella patches, too, but they're not as effective as they only cover a small area.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I always get insects repellent too in my home. I use this substance mostly in the wet places like my convenience, the kitchen, these are places where mosquitoes and other insects may breed or hide more. I use the insect repellent especially the Off lotion often during the rainy or wet seasons.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer liquid mosquito replant for my my rooms. I generally use them in my sitting room and bedroom during night hours. We have certain reputed brands like 'Allout' and 'Goodnight' to name a few but my favorite brand is 'Goodnight' for a long time. I buy refill packs which is generally good for 45 night if used for 8-9 hours a night.

8. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I use any lotion with a strong mint odor to it. Mint is well-known to repel mosquitos so not only do I use lotion with mint odor but I also use mint plants around my home to keep them away. Actually, most insects despise mint for some reason so they're good for keeping out most common insect pests. It's a cheap and effective solution to that issue.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    To be very frank, more the greenery around your home more the insects and mosquito. I live in a very open area with lots of greenery around my home. I have my own garden, plants and flowers which is the main cause of mosquito in my area but I keep my home closed having wire meshed doors and airtight as much as possible so get lesser effected but still use mosquito repellent just in case.

10. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    We apply Odomos lotion on skin. For the kids, I prefer to apply the organic version as chemicals in other varieties could harm the skin health. However, at night we use All-out refills as mosquito repellent. I cannot stand the smell of other products. We, being in a high rise, do not need to use repellent all the time except for some typical seasons when the menace is at peak.

11. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I use Odomos cream and lotion. I also use Allout and Goodnight for the rooms.

I have reinforced wire meshes on all windows. Keeping the environment clear around us helps cut down cost for treatment for diseases too.

I believe in prevention is better than cure.

12. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Mosquitos absolutely love my blood and I used to use the product OFF which worked very well. I didn't like using a chemical on my skin very much so I looked around for something better.

I then saw an ad and decided to try out what it said. It was brilliant! Listermint, mixed with water and sprayed around the floor, windows or on myself makes them just disappear. I don't know where they go, if they die or just fly away. It works outdoors as well, so if you are having a BBQ, you can just spray it on the ground and hey presto, no mossies!

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure that I have tried the lotion, but for some reason it sounds a little more uncomfortable. If it works though, that might really works towards saving some money and combining those two.

14. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have tried the herbal insect repellent. I think it is citronella scented. It looked okay but we are turned off by the scent. Even our dogs are not comfortable when we use it on our skin, the dogs wouldn’t come near us. And so we conclude that it is the odor that turns off the insects… and animals as well. Now, we are back to the good old Off Lotion which is more expensive but more effective when it comes to repelling insects only. We cannot survive without the Off Lotion when there are moquitoes around (they appear in hordes during the summer months and become scarce during the cold months).

15. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I keep my home mosquito free buy putting mint plants in every corner of the house especially in the kitchen area, most importantly in summer. I have noticed that the most mosquitos I've seen around my house are two or three now as of before having such plants I had so many flying around. I don't like such lotions as they have chemicals that can be dangerous for my daughter even though some might claim that they are not.

16. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have mint plants as well, and I think that they do help some with insect control; but we still get mosquitoes throughout the spring and summer months, and even in fall until it turns chilly. I have been putting out starts of the mint plants around the yard as well as the house, and hopefully, once we have enough of them, it will do a better job of repelling the mosquitoes.
    We also use a citronella candle when we want to sit out on the front deck, and this seems to help deter the bugs much better than the mint does. If I am working out in the yard, however; I always have to spray a good liquid repellant like OFF to keep the mosquitoes at bay while I am working in the yard or watering the garden.
    The Avon product "Skin-so-soft" does seem to help also and it is also good for the skin since it is an oil based product; so I buy either that or a similar product to use sometimes , too.

17. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am just thinking about getting a good and effective killer or repellent for bugs. Bugs are such an embarrassing nuisance of tiny insects that it's extremely difficult to understand how they find their ways to homes. I'd like a real powerful insect repellent for these kind of insects. Tired of the so many low quality and counterfeit substances.

18. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    We use Odomos. This is a very old brand. We have been using this since we were kids. Now they have launched a herbal version of it. This is also very effective.

19. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Insect repellent is a must, especially when we are sleeping at my in-laws that live in the country. I don't wear a lotion or spray though, we have bought a stick that is really easy to apply and very effective, so when we don't forget to use it, we never have problems with insects. :)