Instant coffee - all the same or . .

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Ryder13 • Jan 21, 2013.

1. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I am a coffee drinker and I drink it black. I am also into instant coffee and generally pick a brand as opposed to generic but I pick the one that is on sale.
    For instant coffee users, is it worth the extra money to buy the higher priced choices?
    Ryder13

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is if you ask me it all taste the same to me genric taste just as good it's only cheaper and isn't a famous brand.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had some inexpensive instant coffee and it was horrible. I got some good instant coffee which I did enjoy a lot better, it is worth the extra money to enjoy the drink, if it is not good it will be thrown out which is a waste of money.

4. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I agree! They taste the same to me i can't really tell the difference. I don't think it's worth to spend a lot of money on high end coffee. Non branded items sometimes are better.

5. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, not for me.. not all instant coffee is made equal nor do they taste the same. I always buy the same brand of coffee, pricey as it is. I have limited my coffee drinking to once a day and now I don't mind having to spend that money for something I really enjoy. I will always pay a little more if I have to but get the coffee I love.

6. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    There are differences between brands. I don't drink much coffee, but usually I buy three different brands. Each of them has particular characteristics of flavor. For example, one such brand of instant coffee (Dolca) is noticeably stronger and aggressive in taste. Another (Arlistan) has a pretty noticeable softness and generates more foam in the smoothie. Perhaps are imperceptible details, but long term, it makes a difference.

7. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I can definitely taste the difference between instant coffee brands. Granted, I can live with an inexpensive brand if I have to (provided I add vanilla and/or cinnamon every time I drink it) but I can definitely taste the difference.

8. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of instant coffees but I would think that there would be a difference in taste betweens the brands, just like there is in other coffees. I would be willing to pay more for a coffee I enjoy drinking rather than saving money by purchasing a cheaper brand and not liking it.

9. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    Maxwell House is the only brand of instant I've ever tried. I like it. I also tried a sort of instant coffee, but it was like a tea bag version. It was Folgers, and I thought it was awful. It didn't even taste like coffee.

10. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Wow a tea bag version of instant coffee. Never knew about this. Of course after what you wrote I am not running to the store to get some. Maxwell House is btw one of the brands I pick up regularly. Not decafe just regular.
    Ryder13

11. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I have never noticed the difference between coffees. However, my stomach knows the difference. For instance, if I drink anything other than Tim Hortons I get terrible heartburn and GERD. Therefore, I skip buying coffee entirely unless I'm aching for a delicious Tim's double-double!

12. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    That's probably the best solution... but I don't think I could ever live without coffee, haha!

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends if you are the finicky type when it comes to coffee. They all taste the same to me, regardless of their price.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All instant coffee tastes identical to me, even the Starbucks instant coffee. I only notice a difference in brewed coffee and coffee beans. I don't know what process they do to instant coffee but it all tastes generic, so you might as well buy the lower priced instant coffee.

15. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I seldom drink instant coffee, I prefer it from the coffee maker. But I do know this that all brands of coffee be it the kind for the coffee maker or the instant kind can be different given the brand. I have had coffee that is very strong and bitter in flavor, word of advice if you don't like this stay away from Yuban. I have also had coffee that is smooth in flavor with little bitterness, if you like this like I do I can strongly recommend MJB, although this one can be pricey. I have also had coffee that falls somewhere in between such as Folgers and Maxwell house, these are the ones I tend to buy the most. So, as you can see for me all coffee doesn't taste the same. There are differences depending on the brand, at least there is for me.