Instant Rice, Boil In Bag, Or "regular" Rice?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by thisnthat • Jun 30, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Which type of rice do you buy?

I know someone who will only buy the boil in bag style. It's quick and easy, and it turns out well, but I find it to be a bit higher in price. The instant kind is quick and easy too, but it always costs more by volume than a plain bag of rice, the kind that you simmer on the stove.

I recently bought a regular bag of rice for about half what the instant stuff cost. I got more in the bag than I would have in the box as well, so it's definitely a better value as far as cost goes. Some people say that saving time is as good as saving money though, and thus opt for the quicker varieties.

What do you think?

2. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    There are some things I buy for convenience (and I know it's lazy) and pouches of rice are one of those things. I just love the fact they take 2 minutes in the microwave although I know it would be more economical to buy a bigger bag which I can use over and over.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even consider the Instant rice when buying I go for Regular rice. I trust the regular rice in terms of the grain quality and preparation. Come to think of it doesn't take all that time to cook rice. Under 30 minutes I am through cooking the regular rice and it's more economical you get far larger quantities for same amount as the instant rice.

4. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    This is the first time I am hearing about instant rice and to be honest I have never known like there is instant rice available like instant noodles. Just now googled it and came to know that the instant rice practically has no nutrients and even they cost much higher than the regular rice. I appreciate you @thisnthat@thisnthat that you have done a great job in buying a bag of regular rice. Well done. :)

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I guess we can all learn some new things from each other. :)

I have to admit that I have bought instant rice in the past, especially when it could be found on sale for a cheap price. I rarely eat rice but do prepare some occasionally for other family members. It's handy stuff, but if one is cooking anyway, we might as well put a pot on.

There is quite a difference in how much you get for the money, and it does seem to be of better quality as well.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind microwave rice, or packets that you add water to and boil as they have all the added seasoning already in them. It's not as healthy, but if you want a small portion it's better and more economical. It's because with rice you have to cool it down and if you reheat you have to make sure it's done properly.

I can make rice from scratch, but you do have to watch it and make sure you add enough water and make sure it doesn't burn.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy the boil in the bag and the instant rice for convenience but since I am watching my money closer than before I have switched to the bagged rice. It has more substance to it versus the instant rice anyway and better flavor. Of course, it is cheaper than the other types of rice so that makes all the difference in the world. It really does not take that much more effort to cook it than using the other types.