Insulated Shopping Bags

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Jul 7, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you use insulated shopping bags or maybe even a cooler to transport cold items when you go shopping? I never used to bother much about it, but where I live now, things aren't as close by. Also, it gets extremely hot here. The inside of the car can get crazy hot very quickly. The seat Buckle can burn you.

So, I don't want the foods I just bought to fall below an acceptable temperature on the way home. I put everything in insulated bags, and add a few of the frozen items to each bag to help keep stuff colder (and of course, keep those from thawing out).

This simple process helps me save money by avoiding waste that could result from high temps.

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've done this before in the summer when it's really hot outside. I've also used cool bags to keep food cool in the cupboards at home, such as cans of coconut milk that seem to separate out more nicely into solids and liquids when they're kept cooler. I find that it helps to make the most of those sorts of items.

I initially didn't think insulated shopping bags would be worth it but they definitely are, even if the cost of them is higher than the cost of smaller regular plastic bags. The fact they're reusable and don't break as often as the thinner plastic ones means they're worth that cost to me.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use them whenever I can because they tend to be stronger if you have heavy items. I have a great one from Trader Joe's that doubles up as a travel bag which is stylish with shoulder straps. They are worth investing in especially as plastic bags are phased out and ones stores give you are really flimsy.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Sure do - as a cooler and a huge bunch of ice packs are something I've been using to transport my groceries back from the store for as long as I can remember - simply because - living in a country where summer temperatures generally hover around 48 to 50C - they are an absolute necessity - as it would be virtually impossible to get everything home from the store in an edible state without them - as the majority of it would either have melted, turned to mush or started to cook in the intense heat - long before I even got anywhere near home.

So yes - although a little more costly initially they are - without a doubt - very definitely worth every cent.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, my, that is hot @gata montes@gata montes. Our temps are not that high, but our heat index can get close sometimes. I can definitely see why you'd have no choice in using such tools. It's kind of shocking to think that the food could actually start to cook in your vehicle!

Wow, that is something that I have never thought to do. Interesting.

@Theo@Theo that's another good point. They are quite strong and hold up well. Mine aren't what I would call stylish, but they certainly are sturdy.

6. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    I've never used insulated shopping bags because I always remember the stuff I learned in physics. ( School is important kids, you'll use it all later on ) If the distance from my house to the shop isn't that long, then simply keeping all the cold stuff together while not letting the bags sit will keep the food items cold. The only problem is if you're going to let your bags sit somewhere while you go do something else, which is what I rarely do as I manage my shop stops accordingly.

7. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJMember

Threads:
    I have a few insulated shopping bags that I use for shopping on hot days to transport frozen foods from the supermarket to my house and it works quite well. On longer drives, I'll fill the bag with a few pounds of ice or a few ice packs to help preserve the food that requires refrigeration. In the absence of these bags, the temperature in a car will easily exceed 100 degrees in summer so there will be rapid warming of the refrigerated/frozen food to the point that its shell life is noticeably reduced.
    I can safely say that my insulated bags have paid for themselves ten times over by this point since food remains unspoiled through its 'sell-by-date' whereas, in the absence of insulated bags, the food would be spoiled a day or two before this date.

8. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I live in Texas and it gets very hot in summer. I also live 40 miles from the grocery store. I have a couple of really good quality cold food bags. I save these for ice cream and I can transport it all the way home and it doesn't even really get very soft. I have several lesser quality cold food bags that I use for the other cold stuff. We never have a problem getting the food home safely. They are worth it!