"Integrated" computers

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Peninha • Mar 3, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have laptops and desktops and more recently a computer that seems more like a monitor and everything is inside of it. I do wonder if there is market for such a machine because it's not as practical as a laptop and what are the advantages comparing to a desktop?

2. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I've seen them around for a while. My initial thoughts was whether it'd be a pain to upgrade as old tech becomes obsolete - so over the course of several years, you may have a perfectly functional system with a nice screen but then the motherboard will fast become obsolete. Additionally, I imagine repairs would be even more tricky.

I recommend either a laptop or desktop rather than one of these things; a desktop tends to be generic allowing you to switch components for upgrades while laptops offer portability.

3. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    There is definitely a market for integrated computer, but personally i would never purchase one. I think integrating a CPU with the monitor is a recipe for disaster.
    Those types of devices experience a lot of over-heating issues, and they are extremely difficult to to repair. Integrated computers are not stable enough for me to invest my money in them.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good point there with the overheating Eagle, what sort of cooling device will they stuck in there is a great question. I guess I will never know until I try it, but it doesn't seem too promising, I don't get if they are creating a third category or if they plan to replace desktops...

5. Guru

GuruMember

Threads:
    They have been around for some time now but they were never really a hit. Desktops are better because they are upgrade-able.. Integrated computers tend to have cheap parts. You also then can't upgrade your monitor and you don;t have a lot of control of the input and outputs.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, that is what I think too Guru, they are pretty much a solid piece that doesn't make much sense because we can't move in it. I think that the concept will just slowly die with time, nothing revolutionary there.

7. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    iMac's are integrated systems like this and I always hear that they are very reliable, I've never heard about massive heating problems with them, are these the kind of integrated computers you mean?

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    iMac's are a special brand of integrated computers, they don't give as much trouble as a regular computer because they are premium computers usually used by designers or users with specific needs. I was referring probably to the copy that Microsoft wanted to do from iMacs, I think they didn't do well...

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    So.. basically a large tablet? Haven't even noticed the point in having a tablet so I don't know why I'd get a huge version of it either.

I guess it's just one of those things that doesn't really make sense to those not using one. I guess it might be alright for the average user who doesn't really care how it works as long as it does, it takes less space, looks more slick and doesn't have wires everywhere.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, not a large tablet, but a really large tablet, it's pretty much like the monitors we have with the desktops, but even larger because the CPU is integrated inside. It takes less space than a desktop, so it might make sense for some offices, but I think that maintenance will be harder.

11. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    0023ae71ee1d0c9288050b.

This is what you mean, right?

If it's limited in terms of what you can do, I think I'd rather get a laptop than this, it would take up even less space and I could carry it elsewhere if needed. Does this have any advantage over a laptop?

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Something like that yes Oakster, it's a concept that really doesn't make much sense, it makes no competition to a laptop and the only competition that makes to a desktop is that occupies less space, but at the same time I am sure it's not as reliable as a desktop.

13. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    If you only need to browse the web and write some emails and documents, such a PC is ideal. If you want to play games, stay far away from them. They are by no means powerful.

14. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Are they much cheaper than a laptop? The laptop still seems much better to me, that way you can send emails and browse the web when you are outside your home too...

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that the question is not even the price Oakster, the laptop you can carry easily in a bag while these computer are not meant to be transported. I am not surprised with what delusional says, to me it's a mystery why these computers were made, I see no market for them.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It sounds like you are referring to "All In One" systems as opposed to tablets. I have one currently, and love it. There are some definite advantages to them over laptop system as well as desktop systems. Although a laptop is more portable, they are less comfortable to use for extended periods of time. Fumbling around with a track pad sucks, as opposed to having a dedicated mouse and keyboard. With an AIO system, you can place the monitor anywhere you want, or even raise it up higher so you can sit more comfortably, then have your wireless mouse and keyboard closer to you. AIO systems have much larger monitors than laptops, so you are getting a much better bang for your buck in terms of the screen itself. It's much less eye strain working on a nice large screen, plus your applications aren't as cluttered - particularly if you are doing design work in programs such as Photoshop or Dreamweaver, or even video editing in applications like Premiere.

That AIO pictured above is not a good example of what is on the market today, you can get a very sleek, thin, screaming fast system with Core i7 processors and tons of hard drive space and memory in these style units. If anything, a laptop with comparable specs stands a better chance of overheating due to poor design and a lack of ventilation since they are much more compact in general.

These systems can also easily double as an additional television if they have a tuner built in to them. The monitors are large enough that you can enjoy watching shows and movies on them from a distance too, on the comfort of your couch. You can't really do that with a laptop.

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OK, great post there tom, finally someone that is using it and can show us their advantages. Why have you decided to buy one, you use it as a TV as well? As for the wireless mouse and keyboard, I am under the impression we need to change their batteries really fast, is that true?

18. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    What you are saying are the all in one PC. I must say they are great and have better processing power. iMacs were the first computers that had such a processing power and were all in one PCs. Now more companies have adopted the same idea and are creating some amazing products.

19. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not talking about iMacs, I just just talking about pc that look like iMacs and apparently they pretend to be the iMac, but I don't think they had the same success as iMacs. Now that I think of it, it's the only reason why they done it probably to compete with iMacs.

20. mikerossuk

mikerossukNew Member

Threads:
    My friends keep telling me I'm negative but I prefer to see myself as cautious. I don't like the integrated computers for the very simple reason that should something go wrong they are very expensive to repair. I like my PC because the fittings are standard and there's a lot of competition which keeps prices competitive, when you start having limited availability as is the case here upgrading is a nightmare as no one really knwos if its going to take off so not many people make parts for these systems etc.

On the plus side they look fantastic! I can't fault them on there visual appeal but everyone can make up their own mind!