"Integrated" computers

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Peninha • Mar 3, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's my point too mike, I think those are computers for special situations and to concur with iMacs for example, because for the day-to-day most people uses a laptop or a desktop at work, not these integrated machines.

2. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Mike makes a good point, if something breaks in your integrated computer, you need to take the whole computer to the store to get it fixed, you might even need to replace the whole thing.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a fact that the repair will be way more expensive, that is why the advantages of these machines are not for the common user, but for a specific niche market with specific needs, at least this is the conclusion I've reached.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really a fan of this types of computers I mean, if the webcam went dead then I have to take the whole thing to a repair store? Seems inconvenient . And also, the upgrades for this integrated computers might be a pain in the butt, I mean I see this things would cost a great deal of money for repairs let alone an upgrade. It these things would be upgrade friendly then I wouldn't mind them.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's pretty much the down side of it, on the other hand deathbyprayer, the same thing can happen with a laptop with a built-in webcam. What do you mean about upgrading it? Putting more memory in for example?

6. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    I always advise people to avoid these types of computers like the plague. Yeah, it's nice having everything built into one case, but if something goes bad, it's likely toast. Next to impossible to upgrade too, meaning obsolence will come on sooner for them.

7. thephantom638

thephantom638New Member

Threads:
    I agree. Integrated computers resemble tablets more than they do desktop PCs in the sense that it is very difficult, and most times impossible to repair/replace parts that malfunction/ become redundant. I'm sure they are popular amongst some people but again, it is a very niche market. In most, if not all cases, these PCs will lack a discrete graphics card, hindering performance greatly, and the form factor tends to produce quite a bit of heat compared to properly cooled desktops.

8. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    If you have a "regular" desktop instead of an integrated one, you can do all sorts of upgrades to it to increase the performance, you could put more memory like you said, or change your graphics card, get a new HDD, you could even change the fans for quieter ones :)

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OK, so basically you open up the computer and you change the cards or add them and with those integrated ones you open them and you just stare because they are too complicated? That's tricky, that is why I don't think it's a mass consumption product.

10. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Well thats essentially what a tablet is, and that why I don't like them. The screens are not big enough, and at best with an attachable keyboard they function like a laptop. I just can't relax when using them as they often make my neck ache and are generally just uncomfortable. I will always prefer a desktop PC.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a good comparison Hedonologist, a tablet is pretty much a small integrated computer, therefore a smaller investment too. Than again, that is why there are so many products because there are consumers for everything and these specific consumers probably can afford to send their computer to repair.

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely Peninha, if it's being sold it's because there is a market for it.
    In an integrated computer, when yu open it up you can't really change anything up, because like the name says, it's all integrated into the motherboard, it's all a single piece.

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, so that's a good technical explanation Strykstar lol, I thought integrated because it was just one piece monitor and CPU, I had no idea everything inside was integrated in the motherboard. Yes, in this case it's impossible to customize, not even if we have knowledge how to do it.

14. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that the imacs are great intergrated computers and the major reason for getting one of these in my opinion is that they are pretty much better than what you would get in term of performance from a laptop, and yet they are not as cumbersome as a desktop would be. So i would say that they have their place in the world for the people who are in between. Those that need a bit of performance and a bit of portability.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    iMacs are in another level, I was saying about the Windows integrated computer that I think that aren't quite as good. Either cases, I think these machines serve specific needs and are not for the general public.