International cruise, a cheap version?

Discussion in Travel started by violatoR • Oct 31, 2013.

1. violatoR

violatoRNew Member

Threads:
    Hey, so I've been browsing all around recently and something that really catches my eye are the cruises. I've never been on a cruise myself so I really wonder what's it like and how much do you get to experience out of it in general. The prices, however, seem to be high, at least for me. I don't know why but I find them very expensive and I was wondering whether there was some cheaper alternative. (If we add the costs on the actual ship it really goes high) Have you ever been on one, what was the experience and how much did it cost you? Do you have any tips that can help me save money?

2. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    My wife always wanted to be on a cruise, but after we made the trip by boat from Peniche to Berlengas and from Madeira to Porto Santo and she got seasick and she changed her mind... :)

My best tip would be look for online discount sites, you can actually get 50% off the original price. Here in Portugal we have all sites together in forretas.com, don't know if there is anything for your area.

3. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    I know a guy that we call Violator, i wonder if youre him.

Cruises can end up very cheap, especially for all you get. Recently we went on a cruise and were shocked to find out one guy paid $180 for the same cruise we were on, 5 days to the Bahamas. He gave me the website he used but i cant seem to remember it at all.

As far as the experiences, they can break your wallet if you let them, but they do add to the fun of it all. We spend 170 on the boat in 5 days, which i think is very good. We also ended up spending maybe 230-ish on land, but 100 of that was buying 2 bottles of cologne, 1 for 60 1 for 40.

Food is EVERYWHERE on the boat. All you can eat, for free. You have the option to eat at the "formal" dining room, which is very nice, has a semi-fancy restaurant feel. Seating is assigned in this room and never changes. The good thing about this is you end up getting to know the people you sit with, and sharing your stories from that days activities. On top of that, if you eat in the formal dining room every night, youll more than likely end up feeling like the money you spent for the cruise was well worth it.

If youre not shy, or capable of being less shy (youre a stranger and will probably never see anyone from the boat again) try to participate in as many of the events as you can. The "fun" cre, at least on carnival lines, will always have something going on to try to get guests involved. I won a bottle of champagne from participating in a couple of the events. Cant beat free alcohol, especially when the alcohol on the boat is so expensive.

Other than that, enjoy yourself and allow yourself to let go. You have no responsibilities, no need to drive or be anywhere. Relax, go nuts!

4. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    I sure that cruise is most expensive travel in all of them but upper class peoples like cruise travel I did travel through the cruise once time in my life..