International Flights - Do You Take Two Separate Flights?

Discussion in Travel started by H.C. Heartland • Aug 18, 2016.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to international travel, two things weigh heavy in the decision making: luggage allowance and ticket price. These two things can affect the other. For example, you might be able to get a cheaper flight if you divide the ticket up between two different airlines. The downside to this is that you will most likely loose your luggage allowance. For those who are traveling for a short period of time, this might not be an issue. But for a longer stay, luggage might not be something you can afford to leave behind. What do you usually do? Do you purchase a round trip ticket with luggage included, or do you split up the flights for a cheaper price?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Always the cheaper flight in my case because luggage allowances vary from airline and to which country you are going to. What I have learned from traveling is that you can find what you need wherever you go unless it is a Third World country.

You also learn to live with less when you travel and too much luggage is more of a burden. I always find a way to reduce my luggage wherever I can, because you really don't need as much as you think.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree about limiting what you pack. I haven't traveled internationally for years, and when I did, they didn't charge that I know of for overweight luggage, or if they did, mine didn't weigh over the limit. I miss the days when travel was easier, and there weren't so many individual charges for each little supposed amenity. If I were to travel internationally these days, I would probably plan to pick up toiletries at my destination, other than the very basics, since they're easy enough to find and usually pretty reasonably priced.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't know people did this! I personally wouldn't go down this route because I want to be where my precious luggage is LOL I know your luggage can still get lost, but it gives me comfort to know or think it's with me all through the journey. I'm one of those people who really can't travel light, but when it comes to long haul plane journeys, I have to discipline myself and pack smart to ensure that I stay within the limit. -especially after once being charged over £200 for excess. That seriously hurt!

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Luggage allowance is certainly a big issue for me usually, and a big factor for me to get a “married” air ticket with all destinations connected to my international flight.

Thankfully, from my country luggage allowance is usually decent, so as long as the connections are aligned with the international ticket I have a good enough allowance. For example, for domestic US flights, the allowance is too low and I would end up spending way more with excess baggage alone.