Internet police

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Peninha • May 29, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly, I don't think many doubt that the governments act on the margins of the law, we all remember the Echelon or Wikileaks, just to number a few examples. From the consumer point of view it would be great though because we could buy scam free online.

2. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    I think they do have a some sort of internet police. But they investigate things like chatting online with a minor and age restricted crimes. The same kind of crimes people have been accused for on the Dateline NBC Show called How To Catch A Predetor. The police are all over those types of crimes but never the ones that actually effect a normal tax paying citizen. I think some type of orginization should be formed to stop scams and fraud. Because if I am correct, fraud and stealing others credit card imformation ins a federal offense. So why aren't they all over this one. It would make sense. And it would make it alot easier to shop and browse without the worry of someone hacking your computer and stealing your whole entire identity.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too wish that they had an organization that would stop scams and fraud especially since I've been scammed a few times myself. However, I'm pretty sure that sadly it may not be possible. There are just so many out there and they're harder to trace so that's why you have to report them yourself.

4. MomFirst

MomFirstNew Member

Threads:
    I think you have made a very interesting point. In my opinion, anything the government wants to control, police, or change: they indeed do so. I think they are allowing all of these scams to be able to impose a threat on our rights in the future. An internet threat. Maybe this will bring on the the enforcing of the microchip.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The problem is the jurisdiction, how can governments deal with something that is located in servers in another country? It's no so simple to deal with and that is why no one can actually make a move. If there was international cooperation things would be different I think.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would absolutely LOVE it if there were some form of internet police. There are SO many scams out there. Some are obvious. Most of them are obviously scams, but it depends what level you are at when it comes to the internet. Some people are novices, and will not know what the red flags are - even down to how a website looks or presents itself. Too many people scam innocent people who are usually desperate, and it is just not cool. I would love to have an internet police presence. But at the same time, I could see this force becoming corrupt like the police are in real life. Plus, i don't want to be prevented from downloading pirate copies of things.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't see how it would be possible. Different countries have different laws as well as different penalties for crimes. I don't see just a single entity being able to become the "Internet Police." Even if it were possible, they would never have the resources or the ability to track down every wrongdoer. And, no, the Internet wouldn't suddenly become scam free. Policing is reactive. They would only do something after a scam is reported, which means you would have already been scammed. Also, we have police out in the world and the world isn't scam free.

This is just not realistic, in my opinion.

8. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    They are germs ('germs,' originating in the same words as the meaning of "German"---'brother,' I think)

And that's how they thrive: through brotherly love. That kind of love (sharing news of them, talking about them) gets the programs high listings on search-engines.

The only recourse I can think of is 'reporting them to-Google &/or -any other large SEs you can think of ... maybe report them to 'Scam.com' or some site that reports scam-sites to ALL the SEs.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is advanced knowledge mythman, so do you really think that if we report them to Google that Google will actually do anything? Why would they do it, they are not the police, I don't think they care if we are scammed or not.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately I would have to agree with you. I don't think that Google would care much. But I don't think that this policing unit should originate from Google. But with some of the above posts, it is true that different countries do indeed have different laws and such. Who would govern and keep track of all of this? Unless there was a internet police force for each country, who could oversee each countries internet laws. Again, this would be tricky, as I feel like the internet police would become corrupt in some way shape, or form.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My country recently just created a tax that raises the prices of all computers, pens, tablets and so on, they call it the copyright law, that will be distributed for the authors. So, are they assuming that everyone is a pirate? I am feeling robbed again.

12. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    Depends on where the scammers are located, and what kind of crime the scam relates to. Laws and regulations are different according to the countries, and the kind of internet police you are referring to would need to have the power to enforce the same laws in every country of the world. As others have said, its not happening anytime soon.

The best thing you could do to protect yourself from scammers is to use a safe payment method.

You'll notice that webstores where scammers roam free will have been banned by certain credit card companies or PayPal.

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is the issue Athena, the jurisdiction issue over the internet have to be extremely hard to regulate, I am assuming that is why there is no such police. In the current state of events we just to be wise and avoid anything that looks fishy.

14. Heather Dawn

Heather DawnNew Member

Threads:
    This is very well reasoned. I was debating responding to the above comment as well, but you beat me to it and stated it much better than I could.

15. Diane_H

Diane_HNew Member

Threads:
    I think broadcast reporting of scams and frauds on consumer affairs sites, complaints boards, to the BBB, and at Ripoff report, as well as our social media feeds with links to where they're reported elsewhere so that search engines have a chance of bringing the bad reviews to the top of the list - will be the only thing that will be manageable in the end. It takes extra time true, I believe that it will be the only real means of policing the net without trampling on privacy and other rights.

16. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Look for some of these security options before you trust a site.

1. Https instead of http ( to make sure that the site is legit and not a phishing site)
    2. BBB certification (Given by Best business bureau)
    3. whois.net record of the site
    4. Site reviews on internet and payment record (google it)
    5. Too good to be true offers (for ex: $150 for a 5-minute survey. No one will pay you that much)

Use your discretion and discuss in an online community before taking the plunge.

17. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Does the (I suppose you mean) Better Business Bureau have a place to look up all the businesses to make sure they're good? Maybe

?

That site is just as good as any other (maybe a little better, with its track-record of monitoring businesses). Really, all they are is 'just another monitor of truth'---specializing in 'seeing whether businesses are cheating or not.' What you need is 'proven witness'---knowing for-sure that the witness has no reason to tell you the business is good except 'that the business truly is good.' (like if the witness is a personal friend and/or doesn't PROFIT if you invest in the business)

18. Diane_H

Diane_HNew Member

Threads:
    I'm glad that you posted this, I hadn't thought of whois.net or looking at the payment record; although, checking both makes sense.