Internet privacy

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Gelsemium • Nov 19, 2014.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    UGH! I'm sorry that that happened to you. I can only imagine how frustrating that experience must have been. On the bright side, at least you are still able to see that there is a good side to policing. Some of them aren't complete and utter tit-fucks. But they often will side with their corrupt officers because they are taught to all stick together. It is the same thing with the justice system. They rarely like to convict one of their 'own.' When you have a system run by human beings, who are just as flawed as the rest of us, there will always be corruption sadly.

2. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I know for a fact that all our internet searches are saved somewhere in the database of our Internet Provider. To be honest, i never bothered using proxy sites or online privacy because i really have nothing to hide. I do have weird searches but i think we all do. LOL Anyways, my searches are pretty boring i'm confident it won't cause my any troubles or anything. LOL

3. DreekLass

Threads:
    Several ISP's in the UK blocked 53 new torrenting and pirating websites just yesterday. I woke up, turned my laptop on, and went to two of these websites, only to find out that they had been blocked by Virgin Media. I wasn't happy, and quickly managed to find ways around the blockages. Many other people are doing the same thing in that they are still gaining access to some of these websites, and they are worried that their service provders will be able to see that, and then kick them off of their ISP, which I really really do not see happening. I feel like the ISP's just follow the court orders. If they see you still visiting these websites because you found a way around the order, then I can't see them caring enough to do anything about it.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's both. We have the right not to give our information and companies who own sites have the right to ask for it. If they have a service that is good enough for us to give up our information as consumers then it would be an even trade, and as long as they are up front about taking that information as well as what they do with it then I don't see much of an issue.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But why should they eavesdrop? It's not like everyone on the net is planning to commit a crime and the ISPs must for that reason record everything he does online. They are infringing the on the privacy of their customers IMO and at times, leads to things like these:
    Who wants that? So why not just use something to cloak your activity whilst your browse the web?

6. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Well no, sites don't have the right to know where we are at all, just like how a business doesn't have the right to know where we live when we walk inside it. They can figure out through our IP though, which is why proxies, VPN's and Tor is recommended for anyone who cares enough. Personally I don't really care, they'll get my information anyways and I don't really care what they do with it, as long as I get the services I want and they don't go too far. I actively protect my name and details from the public though.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have always stayed away from proxies and VPN's, purely because I figured that they were not worth it. I work online, and proxies and VPN's are often frowned upon, because these online companies often tend to think that you are trying to cheat their system when they see that you are using either a proxy or a VPN. Not only that, but few proxy and VPN softwares are good - or so I have heard - unless you pay for them, and many people pirate or download them as freeware, and they don't end up masking their IP address properly anyway, so they remain traceble.

8. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do use VPN because of my work, we have our own VPN do access our servers from home, but that is pretty much it. I do not access any strange things though, I am not an expert and my computer and all I have in there have great value to me, so I don't want to see any of that damaged.

9. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I believe that government and corporations shouldn't be able to access and withhold any private information. What I consider to be private information is something that is not intended for others or for certain people to obtain. If you post a photo online to send to your friend. Then you wouldn't expect for that same photo to be used in a video or company campaign.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Good luck with that lol. I don't know where you live, but over here in the UK a law was passed to make it legal for them to go through/view the inbox of email addresses belonging to the general public. This happened in 2011, I think. Though it could have been a little more recent. The sooner people realize that the government are out of control, the better; the sooner we can do something about it. I mean, going though the inboxes of people's emails is exactly the same as opening someone's mail, as far as I am concerned. And that is illegal over here. But one rule for us and another rule for them, unfortunately.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Basically they can do anything with or without or knowledge. In our defense I would say that we are people of little importance to them, but if we start climbing the ladder of power we should have serious concerns about our privacy.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At least they now admit that they will snoop on you. In the past before laws were passed it's possible that security agencies could read your emails anyway and it would still be legal [for them]. I think the issue has more to do with the threats terrorism poses rather than the government being interested in reading others emails. There's so much spam being sent to people these days that it wouldn't be a pleasant job to go through all those emails to find whatever it is they are looking for. I'm sure they'll read your mail only if they suspect you are a terrorist or are in some way affiliated with them.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    So many people will not admit that the government are capable of such acts, but they are quick to forget that the government funded our recent wars and such. Can't feed the homeless but they can fund multiple wars??? Something for people to think about, for sure. They do whatever they want, and it appears as if there is nothing that we can do about it, because it all feels too big and too pointless to think about change. But I think that we are of big importance to the government. Think about it - keeping such tight surveillance on us through all of these different avenues wouldn't be so important to them, if we were not.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    So true, this surveillance is kept strictly for economic reasons IMO, I can't even imagine the amount of resources used on this and what good they could be doing in other more worthy causes, like giving food to those who need it for example.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    I definitely think that such a strict watch is kept on us for economical reasons. But I have been researching this topic for a long time now, and I have discovered that money is just one of the tools that they use to keep us oppressed, but it is not their main goal. The goal is to control the minds of the masses, but I won't go too deep into that because any time that I do, people call me crazy. It's one of those things that people have to look into for themselves. Hearing it from other people just doesn't go too well, most of the time.

16. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I believe the main reason why online services like Facebook gather data is to have the information they need to sell advertising. It's advertising money which keeps many online services viable. Without advertising money, many online services would have packed up long ago. However, there is a downside to this information gathering. We do not have any guarantee that the data will not be exploited for other purposes. There are already instances where hackers got hold of private information. Myself, I keep safe by reminding myself all the time, that I must not put anything on the internet which I do not want my children to know about.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Money and power go hand by hand and many times it's from the interest from companies to keep consumers in the ignorance so that we keep buying their products. Anyone seeing the documentary Fed Up for example will think twice about what we are eating.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    I know, but it's not about money primarily. They can make all the money that they want. That is not their goal. It is interesting that you also mention food, which is also another one of their tools, just like how they use money to control the masses. GMO food has its very own story behind it, and if people knew the truth about GMO food, they'd be absolutely horrified. Actually, they probably wouldn't lol. Nobody gives a crap these days, which is how it has been designed. What is scary is how people do not even realize that they are being manipulated.

19. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's a question of whether people do or do not realize that they are being manipulated. I belief it's more to do with the herd mentality. Like they think that if so many people are doing it, then if they are being fooled, they wouldn't be the only ones. When enough people think like this, somebody somewhere is going to make alot of money.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    It's true, but the whole world is conceived to put as to sleep while some collect the money and power. They start with education, giving us the ant tools, but not the tools to enter the financial markets and so on, those doors are not open to the masses.