Internet privacy

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Gelsemium • Nov 19, 2014.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We got our first notice today.. be our bitch or pay the price, I think it said? I might be paraphrasing, don't take my word for it. They're coming down hard over here now too, as of Jan 1. I guess I should start looking into it now; I was taking my freedoms for granted, silly me.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that for as long as human beings are here, there will always be some form of pirating that lives. That seems to be just ho things work, luckily for us poor folk lol. You are right - people are always one step ahead. I think that so many people are so savvy these days when it comes to masking IP addresses and such, that getting rid of piracy and blocking these sites in a way that stays permanent is the actual challenge. Thank God for proxies and IP masking extensions and software. I can still get to a lot of these blocked websites, but it's just a little bit more hassle. However, I can still get to them and access their content.

3. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Piracy is not something that comes out of the blue. It is created when certain conditions are fulfilled. One is exorbitant prices. Like why buy an original cd when a copy costs only one-tenth as much? This was the question which the recording industry asked themselves. Actually, they asked themselves, why can the pirates sell so cheaply and we can't? So they dropped the prices of the original cds. Now to get a pirated cd you are paying only about 3usd less. That, in Thailand, really took the wind out of the pirates' sails, so to say.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    I know. I didn't say that it was something that just originates. I just think that as long as one person can buy a game, a CD, a movie, or an ebook, they have the ability to upload it to the internet for free, and share it with others, who will and can them replicate the piracy if they so choose to. It is crazy - how they try to put a lid on the piracy. But for as long as there are human beings, along with the internet, I think that piracy will always exist in one form or another.

5. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep. How many times have we seen hackers being hired by the big companies or governmental agencies? That is because they are the visionaries, they are the ones opening the way and fighting against what they feel to be wrong, most of the time capitalism and installed powers.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    I know. As someone who has dabbled in the hacking world, I am aware of the constant battle that takes place between hackers and these big companies. The hackers will find a flaw in the coding, and exploit it, the company will be alerted to in and pretty quickly, and then update the coding, and then the hackers will find new ways to exploit the system/coding. It's pretty funny lol. Facebook is only as secure as it is these days, due to hackers exploiting the system, and one hacker exposed a major floor and the owner of Facebook gave this hacker a share in the company for revealing it to them.

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I've pretty much accepted that privacy as of today is a thing of the past. It's not completely gone but it's really closing the edge. If you're too concerned about privacy then there's really not much you can do to hide, you just have to be really careful of the things you do online since you're pretty much connected to every computer in the world. But I wouldn't worry too much about it, just think about it this way, if there are billions of people on Earth and millions of people online, unless you're carrying very valuable information that's worth stealing then you're pretty much in the grey.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    If we just accept it then we are screwed. That's what they are hoping for and banking on, our complete acquiescence or ignorance to it. We are kept so busy though, in our day to day lives. Few feel like they can do anything to stop or change the circumstances, and so they will just keep chipping away at our rights to privacy, and our human rights, knowing that nobody will likely do anything unfortunately.

9. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    Internet privacy is a thing of the past. It's not good, but we can't exactly blame our governments... when there are terrorist organizations using the internet to arrange killing people and bringing massive terror events on cities across the world, what are the governments controlling the world supposed to do? Continue to let it happen?

If you don't browse anything illegal on the internet, you don't need to worry. There are going to be specially trained people doing these kinds of checks, and the likelihood that your normal day-to-day activities will be checked on is close to zero.

10. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I used Tor in order to lurk around more weird websites of the web, mostly the deepweb. Internet privacy should be always existent and the current FCC implementation make it a little shaky. Internet started as a place where you could be anonymous but the officials never liked that. It would be a shame if the implementation would have been adopted.

11. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    I don't really mean I've accepted it as a part of my life, of course it causes alarm on my part but if you think about it, what else can you do exactly? You can't just put a password on something and expect people to respect that. I think privacy on the internet is as good as you'd like it to be. If you don't want people stealing your photos, information and everything else that should be kept private and hidden away then just don't put it out there. It's not like you can just put a lock on things and expect people not to break in. If you're using cloud services and all other similar platforms like social media, it's up to the user to consider the possibilities that these services are not hack proof and that you should think twice before uploading any files that could cause you trouble if leaked.

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not as much about stealing content, as it is about building databases of people's identities, what and where are they doing everything, and other stuff. You'd be shocked how well even a typical ad network knows your life, yet alone governments and other agencies like that.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yeah, I completely understand both sides of the coin ;) The brick wall that we hit when posing the question of what we can do about it sucks lol!! I agree with your notion regarding photos and such. If I do navigate the internet, I do it under a username. Never my real name. I don't have an Instagram account and have deactivated my Facebook account. The fact that police can and are arresting people according to some of the activities that are portrayed in people's instagram pictures should be a red sign to people. Conversely, people can post vines of them drugging and raping women and still get away with the crime so that sucks.

14. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    Yes I'm pretty much aware that it happens nowadays but that's exactly my point, what can you do about it? You can't just stay away from the internet not unless it's not vital to your everyday living. Yes we can't just stand and take it and I'm all behind that idea but nobody is actually giving us anything in terms of protecting our privacy except for just barging in and signing petitions and posting on social media and protesting.

15. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a lot you can do. You can adjust your browsing habits, block scripting, encrypt your connection and your drive, block fake cell stations on your cellphone, send mails/messages thru secure channels...

16. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    Hoh, I see we kinda moved about the piracy part of the discussion. Let's see...

I'm not sure if anything I do is really valuable enough to be stolen...sure, I deal with money and have Paypal accounts and what not, but I don't think the amounts will be attractive to hackers and other similar people.

I also don't mind the government knowing, either, although since I'm still kinda unsure about the taxes matter in my country regarding online earnings (I'm still investigating it), I'm afraid I'll be doing something wrong when I'm paying taxes and they find out and I get into a lot of trouble.

That is, if my government really is keeping tabs on what people does on the Internet. To this day it doesn't seem yet like they do.

17. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    Yes you can do that but it's the same thing as my password analogy. Even if you're doing those things you're still not sure of how much those things actually do for you. For one, everything you send off the internet goes through your ISP and unless you actually rig your own connection to make sure it's not tapped then it's still pretty much open.

#97Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  18. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yeah, everything does go through your ISP, so you are kind of screwed either way. Even if you do mask your IP, you are still doing all of that through your ISP connection, and so I'm sure that they'd be able to trace that also.

I've always been intrigued about Incognito mode in the Google Chrome browser. It claims to not save any of your activity if you browse the net using an incognito window. Anyone know more about what it actually traces and what it doesn't?

19. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's why you encrypt your connection, so the ISP doesn't see anything?

Incognito mode is only affecting your machine, it does not mask or stop any tracing. It just doesn't save cookies etc.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh, so basically, if I were to enter into an Incognito session in Google chrome, then just the history wouldn't be saved?? So if someone were to go through my Google chrome previous history, whatever I'd browsed during that time wouldn't be available to the person who was snooping? Lol!!