Internet television worth the cost?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Isabellas2007 • Jul 5, 2012.

1. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I recently read some articles about Internet television working better then what you can get on the satellite. What are your thoughts on these and the experience you have had with these?

2. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    But what does it mean: better?
    I can't imagine better picture, as it depends on our screen. Better sound? Better... what? I don't get it.
    We're at the stage when everything is almost perfect and we really don't need more. The differences are usually so subtle that it's not worth a fuss.

3. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    We are with Sky TV and broadband and they allow us to watch online for no additional charge. As far as I can tell their quality of service is pretty much on-par with the satellite TV box itself. :) However, it really would all depend on your internet speeds. If your broadband can't take it, then you would most likely end up with a lot of annoying buffering whilst watching... no-one likes the horrible spinning loop of death. :(

4. saver

saverNew Member

Threads:
    I have heard of a few switching over to it, and I can see where it could make your experience better and worse.

Quality: Same to better
    Sounds: Worse to better
    Breaking up signal: Worse part of the "upgrade"

I personally might consider doing it if it didn't cost a lot of money to by "TV" on the computer. But somehow I would have to figure out how to get it up on the TV. Because watching if from are 19" laptop wouldn't do! Or I guess you can make newer TV's have internet can't you?

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you referring to the streaming media players out there such as Roku? Or is this something different? I have a Sony streaming media player, along with Netflix and Hulu accounts. I've considered getting rid of my cable and only using these, but there are a few shows that I cannot get online, so I've kept them all for now. Quality wise, I find to be just as good as Cable. They do have a lot of programs that I never saw on Cable, however many of them are episodes of old shows from years ago, foreign shows, etc. And the quality of the programming varies.

Hulu drives me nuts when it still shows commercials even though I am a paid customer. Netflix has no commercials. The interface is straightforward in using the device, but it is a bit tedious typing in shows when you're trying to do searches. Sometimes I will search for the stuff on my computer, then put it in queue instead.

It's also nice to be able to put a movie or something else that I downloaded onto a USB stick and plug it in to watch on my TV. Something I could not do with the DVR my cable company provided me.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a tv on my computer program but I could not get local or current shows. That was a few years back so I don't know if I understand what you are referring to. The online tv did have classical shows that was fun to watch, that computer died so I do not have the program any longer.

7. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I've got to say, I'm unfamiliar with what the OP means with the term "internet television".

8. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't be worth the cost for me because my internet connection is poor. I live far from the internet exchange so there isn't much I can do about that. I don't like the idea of watching television through my computer either.

9. HughIvar

HughIvarBanned

Threads:
    We're at the stage when everything is almost perfect and we really don't need more. The differences are usually so subtle that it's not worth a fuss.