Internet Vs. Cable

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by FlipKup • Aug 7, 2012.

1. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    Recently, I've noticed that I can stream almost anything I want to watch off my Internet at home. Do you guys think its wise to just cut off the cable altogether and just catch the shows and movies that I want on my laptop?

I mean it would save a ton of money, and not to mention I'm already on my laptop more often than the couch!

This is a question I really need some help on... the bill from last month came in and I need to consult my company on changes, cause this is way too much.

2. vaericke

vaerickeNew Member

Threads:
    Yes. I agree with you on cutting the cable down since it just adds to the burden that you already are paying for city services and others. You should definitely remove your cable connection if you prefer using your laptop all day.

3. ohheyguys

ohheyguysNew Member

Threads:
    I actually cut my cable down but then myself missing the channels. So, inevitably I added back my U-Verse. Surprinsingly, they often run special offers that will net you a bonus card ($25 debit card!). So, I ended up getting my first two months of cable free just by being indecisive!

4. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I use the internet more than I use cable to watch tv. I watch a lot TV shows on my labtop, and I am thinking about turning off my cable soon.

5. Moneysaver93

Moneysaver93Member

Threads:
    I have to say watching things on the internet is the best route to go. Cable goes up every year. As if we really need that. :p
    Why pay twice as much for something you could watch for free or at low cost on the internet. It just makes sense to go with the internet.

6. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    In South Africa we don't have any official internet streaming providers like Hulu and Netflix. We do have Digital Satellite television which cost about R10 ($1) a day and this seems to be the only option for people that want more viewing channels. As a result most people just download whatever they want to watch since it takes such a long time to get here anyway.

7. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    The Internet triumphs over cable in m opinion. We cut our cable to save on money. But I have been update on tv shows thanks to streaming sites. I watch my movies and tv series' on the internet. The only thing I have to worry about is slow streaming speed that doesn't happen too often though. So, the Internet has been my saving grace when it comes to entertainment.

8. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    We already cut our cable because we're saving a lot with our Internet. All the things that we need to watch are on the internet so it's a total waste of money to still keep up with our cable bill. The internet rules on this one!

9. HughIvar

HughIvarBanned

Threads:
    city services and others. You should definitely remove your cable connection if you prefer using your laptop all day.

10. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I will never give up my cable. I actually save money on my cable because my phone bill is so low. I hardly call anyone. And the people I do call I call on my cell. So my verizon bill is super low. And I have a silver cable package. Which means no Showtime, no TMC, no sports channels or HD channels. So I'm not shelling out tons of money for cable as it is. But I have a lot of extra income simply because I save so much on my phone bill by talking to friends mostly on email or facebook.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We currently have cable because most of the stuff my roommate likes is on cable only. Most of the stuff I watch is available via the internet. If I lived alone, I would eliminate cable or cut back to basic cable services. I much prefer to watch online as I can watch at my leisure.

12. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Well yes somehow we could say that almost everything is available on the internet but I'd say that cable connection has still an advantage because not all channels in your cable network could be seen on the internet. Furthermore, we could not always say that every series or shows are available on the internet. For me, if I still can pay my connection, I would not cut it but if it really hurts my monthly budget then I don;t have a choice but to cut it.

13. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Not to mention if your internet goes down for a long period of time god forbid, where will you go to see your favorite shows and movies? If you have no cable on your tv?

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I still prefer to have both. I like that you don't have to search stuff to watch on TV, just flip through the channels and everything is there, news, soaps, comedy shows, sitcoms, etc. It's still a good way to keep updated and I personally feel that it offers a very different type of comfort and convenience. Not really worth worrying over bills about though, it's just a perk, so if it gets to be a bother, then I don't see why streaming online can't be just as satisfying. :)

15. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think shows and moves were meant to be watched on a television. As well as sports games. I think watching them online for me, is only useful when I'm flying or out of town.

16. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I had a decision to make about four years ago. It was 'either or . .' Either cable TV or Internet. It wasn't hard for me. I get much more out of internet. It is also closer to essential for me while television stations are not.
    Sure there are some things I miss. But that payment cut made a difference to me.
    And I found I don't miss it. I also read more. I have always been a reader. Now I read more. I can get news from news sites including one newspaper site.
    Yeah I miss a few things but not that much. I only had basic cable anyway and I still use the TV for watching dvds.
    Times are tough for some of us and this one really wasn't hard.
    Ryder13

17. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is wise if you have access to a reliable and fast internet connect. I have considered doing this myself as my Sky subscription costs over 100 dollars per month, it's a lot of money. I need to sort out my internet connection first, though.

18. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    I have both. But if I was forced to choose, I'd pick the internet. Most of the shows I watch on television I can see on the net anyway. Sometimes, yes they're a day or two late, but at least I can still see them. I can imagine in the coming years Cable will become even less relevant.

19. ryels

ryelsNew Member

Threads:
    As much as I would love to go with internet only, I'm not sure I could live without my AMC, A&E and FX. Thos channels still don't stream their programs online. They would be tough for me to part with...

20. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I feel that it is wise to cut off your cable if: A) money is an issue, and B) since you have already assessed that you won't miss your cable too much because you say you are on your laptop more than you are on your couch.

Cable can be addicting. Some people find it really hard to give up, especially if they have shows that they feel they just "have" to see, but it does not sound like you are going to have a problem at all giving your cable up. The bottom line is, if finances are an issue, one must go-with a (perhaps temporary) dismissal of certain "wanted" services. If, after you cut your cable off, you find yourself really having some serious cable withdrawal, you can always get it turned back on.

I know that you will really enjoy (or are enjoying, if you already had the cable cut off) the money that you save every month from one less bill, especially one as expensive as the cable bill.

#20Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012