Internet Vs. Cable

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by FlipKup • Aug 7, 2012.

1. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    If you don't mind watching TV on your laptop (meaning you don't care about the size of the screen, the lagging/buffering, etc.), then you should definitely get rid of cable. I know many people that have switched to Netflix.

That's not my case though. My internet connection can be painfully slow sometimes (my country has a terrible price/quality ratio for internet connections anyway), my netbook doesn't support HD videos, and there are many things on cable that I wouldn't be able to find anywhere on the internet.

2. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    Well if you really can watch everything you want in the internet, then you can cut the cable, especially if this would save you a lot. But for me and my hubby, we only use internet for business (we have a business line) and still prefers to watch shows in tv, so we still have cable. We cancelled some of the channels that we don't actually use though to cut off some price.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got rid of my cable a while ago and I watch everything on the internet. The only thing that's different about TV is that you can leave it on and passively watch whatever comes on, while on the internet, you have to search for shows to watch and click on them. That's a small price to pay to get rid of a $100+ cable bill every month.
    My desktop computer has a monitor as big as a TV, so I'm not really missing TV or the additional bill.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what you use the most. In my case, I hardly watch tv nowdays, so I'd definitely choose the internet over cable tv.

5. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I believe that streaming television programs and movies online is the best way to go if deciding to save money. Cable is no longer needed for entertainment. They are so many free movie, television, and network apps that you can download and watch on your PC, Mac, tablet, or smartphone. There's this new device called a Roku, which I found out about recently which can turn stream web videos on your t.v. There's also Netflix, which is way cheaper than cable, so there's no need to get cable anymore.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

If you spend more time on your laptop than tv I would def just cut off cable and stick to watching shows online a lot of my family and friends have done this and it has saved them big time money.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    It's definitely easier and more cost effective these days to just skip cable altogether...you can get just about everything online, and at your own convenience anyway.

8. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, if I had to choose I would probably sway towards the internet as I can buy clothing on the internet, one of my passions, I can educate myself and learn new things, I can connect with people and I can also earn a supplemental income which is very important in these tough economic times. Cable is not needed but I do need the internet.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only time I even use my tv is if we're watching as a family, so we can all see it. I prefer the big screen for that. Even then though, it's usually a show we downloaded. I don't remember the last time it wasn't. Internet for me.

10. UshaBecker

UshaBeckerMember

Threads:
    I think that is probably not a great idea. Your laptop is not built for heavy duty operation. Continuous and a prolonged use might effect its battery and ultimately the performance. It is better to stick on to the regulars rather then trying new.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Getting rid of cable was rather easy for me. I don't watch much television to begin with and the shows I do watch I can find online the following day via several sources. One of the biggest things that drove me away from paying for cable are the commercials. They are unbearable to watch, and are obnoxiously loud - not to mention they play the same commercials over and over again. The actual programming has shrunk over the years to make way for more commercials. Which is funny, because I'm paying for programming, but getting less of it.

It's just faster and more convenient to find the shows online than to fumble around programming my DVR.

12. x0MandyLynn0x

x0MandyLynn0xNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, I prefer to have both. Even though like yourself, I'm on my computer much more than I actually sit down and watch television. When you think about it, it does seem like a waste to have cable if you never watch it. But most people enjoy having both. I guess we can be odd human beings. :D I do think, if you wanted to save money and happen to have unlimited downloading. It's best to just use your internet for your "television" source. Plus, there also is so many different sites that are free where you can watch movies and television shows just online!

I know though, if I was forced to make a choice on which one to keep. The cable would be going since I could just find a way to watch all my shows on here. Love my computer!

13. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I would also recommend to cut down the cable just because you will be able to save a lot more money. For example I barely watch tv anymore because you can stream everything for free online and that could save a huge load of money by the end of the week. Therefor if it was me I would definitely cut most of the cable.

14. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much. I don't think that cable is necessary nowadays and won't ever be. If you want to watch a series, you can always watch it in the internet. And you don't have commercial breaks between, so you can enjoy it even more.

15. DealHunter1

DealHunter1Member

Threads:
    I really should get rid of my cable because I'm always watching what I want on my laptop. I just can't bring myself to do it though. I 've had both for so long and every time I watch cable I feel like there's a reason I should keep it around. It would be really nice to eliminate the bill and save some money. I also have a hard time accepting the fact that I can't support my favorite shows and help keep them around longer by watching them on the night they premiere, I want to keep the numbers up. :eek: I think eventually I will give in and have the cable cut off though.

LOVE & DEALS
    DH:cool:

#35Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  16. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with Black Solaris. I'm hardly ever watching the television anyway, and I'm thinking of getting the Roku streaming media player in the near future. I am also planning on getting a faster internet connection so that I don't have to worry about the lagging and buffering. I have the choice of streaming movies and television online for free, which would save me a ton of money by the end of the month, which could use for other things. I love internet and I love cable.

17. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    I also prefer streaming. You can watch your favorite flicks at your own leisure. You can pause it if you want and not miss any moment unlike in any cable shows. Plus, it's a hassle to watch your favorite tv shows late in the evening.