Inverter Appliances

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Alexandoy • Oct 8, 2016.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been looking at those new models of refrigerators that has a label "inverter" that purportedly saves on electricity by at least 50% in consumption. As per the explanation of the appliance store attendant, the inverter shuts off the motor so the consumption is zero unlike ordinary air conditioners and refrigerators that continue eating electricity even when the compressor is not running. I still have to get to the bottom of this before I finally decide to buy one.

2. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    We actually bought a Samsung Refrigerator Inverter series and to be honest, it does minimize the electric consumption. Compared to refrigerators that aren't inverter, you can actually see the difference in terms of energy consumption.

We had a small refrigerator before which is the Condura Business refrigerator, it is also an energy saver fridge however it isn't inverter. There was an addition of 500php ($11.1) in our monthly electric bill since we've used it which isn't that big compared to old refrigerators which are real power hungry. Meanwhile, the new Samsung inverter that we have right now is almost 1.5 times larger than the Condura and it only added P700 ($15.5) on our monthly electric bill compared to our old fridge that has the same size, it costs us P1,600 ($35.5) a month by just using the old fridge alone.

So my verdict with refrigerator inverters is that they are really efficient and indeed a real energy saver, though they are a bit pricey but it's definitely worth it! I hope this will help you decide whether to buy or not to buy an inverter fridge. Cheers! :D

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never seen this kind of an inverter refrigerator, but the idea that you present, @Alexandoy@Alexandoy , does make a lot of sense. If the refrigerator is not running all of the time to keep things cold, then stopping use of electricity is a good idea.
    I know that when we have had power outages, the refrigerator and freezer will keep food good and cold for about a day , or maybe longer, as long as you are not opening and shutting the door, which lets the cold out and the heat in. If you just keep it closed up, then most of the food will still be fine when the power comes back on.
    Also, when I lived in Idaho and only had a generator to use for power, what I did was turn the generator on in the morning, do everything that I needed electricity to do, got any food out of the refrigerator that I needed, and let it run and get cold while I did the other necessary chores while the generator was running.
    Once that was done, I stayed out of the refrigerator for the rest of the day, at least as much as possible.
    So, the refrigerator worked perfectly, with only having electric power for a few hours each day, as long as I was careful.
    The refrigerator with the inverter would probably do something similar and would save you a lot of electricity over time.
    Of course, you could also just unplug your refrigerator all night, when you aren't using it anyway, and save money that way, too.

4. JoushaP

JoushaPNew Member

Threads:
    Whenever the compressor starts up is where you will see the electrical usage. All compressors start and stop when it hits its desired cooling temperature. They all perform the same and you an not suppose to run the dial to the coldest temperature as that will create ice.

Is you want to try something new, here's a tip. Take a old plastic bottle of decent size and fill it up with water and then freeze it til it turns into ice. Now leave that in the freezer (top portion of the refer). What that does, is it keeps the freezer colder and longer. From there you can alternate with 2 containers. Place a container in the bottom half to keep the main refrigerator colder and longer, and the other in the upper freezer. Everyday just switch out the two and that alone should keep your refrigerator colder and it shouldn't be cylcing as much.

You can bypass all of this by purchasing a timer switch that will shut off the refrigerator on its own. But you risk spoiling your food. The refrigerator will shit itself off when it hits the predetermined temperature that you set. In other words, don't set it too cold. Normal to low setting are just fine.