Invest in Passport Book or Card?

Discussion in Travel started by nwitt • Apr 16, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Less than a year ago, my now husband and I got passports so that we could go to Canada for our honeymoon. I am so glad that we spent the money on the full book, rather than attempted to save some money and only get the card. The card is valid for Mexico, Canada, etc. and a book is needed to travel elsewhere. We may have the opportunity to travel this upcoming fall and I am glad that I won't have to pay extra to upgrade my passport.

What are your thoughts?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I actually didn't know about the card at all! I just looked it up and I guess it would be good for someone who is going to make a one-time trip across the Canada or Mexico border and doesn't intend to travel anywhere else. It's a fair bit cheaper than the passport book. I'm glad I have the full book, though!

3. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, we were only going to Canada and almost fell for that way cheaper price. But I guess you never know, right?! Plus the whole book lasts for 10 years. I'm not sure about the card though. But $100ish bucks for 10 years isn't bad at all.

4. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Canada has recently changed to a 10 year passport though I think you can pay less for a 5 year one still. The price here is closer to $200 but over ten years it isn't bad. I think it is better to go for the full passport anyhow because over a 10 year period you can't be certain where you may want or need to go. Living near the border does make crossing into the US a day trip so a lot of people head south to shop and use the cards. North America has a lot to offer but one can get a better feel for other cultures by crossing an ocean.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Exactly.

I don't know if I'll be going out of the country in the next 10 years. I may or I may not, who knows? But I do know that it's worth 10 bucks a year for me to have one, just in case. It's not fun trying to get one last minute.

6. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't even know you could do such a thing in America. In the UK we have no option. You just pay for the book, and that's it. Lasts about...ten years I think? Prices depend on which country you originally come from though, and sometimes you can get lucky and if you have dual nationality you can ask the cheaper country to give you a passport.