Investing In A Bicycle

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by to7update • Oct 29, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    One of the things that gives me more pleasure to do is to ride my bike. I used to do it a lot when I was a teenager and I am picking it up again now, riding with my kids. I do find that these days the prices for the top level bikes is too much, as some bikes are more expensive than cars!

Where do we draw the line? Aren't average quality and average priced bikes good enough anymore?

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    You are very right. This healthy habit has become immensely expensive of late. Although stationary bicycle can not offer the nature's view while riding but could be a wise option to invest in given today's scenario.

I believe in buy what you can afford and will use. So it doesn't matter if the world thinks of me as retro but I rather buy something that is within my budget and works as others.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually bicycles are in fashion again and many in my circle biking for health. The bike store here have a regular promo. Maybe that is one reason for the popularity of bikes. But for me, I am afraid of accidents so I avoid riding on 2 wheels. I only ride a bike when I am roaming our village.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I wanted to ask the same question when I see fancy bikes with fancy handles and seats. I still use an old fashioned bike which is as helpful as they come. Maybe I am not considered "Cool" but I am happy as long as I can use my bike for the purpose I use it, the fitness.

5. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't matter if I look cool or not (sure, I don't want to look like a strange person too haha), I just want a reliable bike I can use to make my tours with my kids, but some prices to scare me off and I end up wondering how there is market for such expensive bikes.

@Decentlady@Decentlady, a stationary bike would not work out for me! :)

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here I don't know why but I have a strong feeling that a stationary bike is for gym only which doesn't serve the purpose fully. I love it riding on a real bike even if it is 10-15 minutes duration every 2-3 days.

7. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    With most items and devices you don't get what you pay for, and just because you have spent a lot of money on something, that doesn't always mean that your getting better quality but when it comes to bicycles, I do think that it's the exception. I'm a keen cyclist myself and in the past I have tried to save money by buying a cheaper bike, and while they have been fine for a while, they don't tend to last all that long and you end up spending more in the long run.

I'm not saying that you have to go out and spend $5,000 on a bike, and especially if you're only going to use it every now and again, but I would certainly avoid the budget cycles and maybe go for one at the top end of your budget instead of one that simply just seems like a good deal.

8. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    It's a really low risk, fun and highly efficient way to exercise. There's little strain on joints unlike running or other sports. You burn a ton of calories. Aside from the health benefits and best of all you'll experience some incredible moments cycling through amazing scenery - the hills to the south of San Francisco are challenging but beautiful.

9. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly! When I am riding my bike and I pass by those gyms with big windows that allow us to look inside and I see people using stationary bikes I do wonder, what are they doing? They could be outside enjoying the fresh air and they are stuck inside simulating something they could be doing for real.

10. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    What exactly are the price of the top level bike nowadays. I do not actually have the time biking and don't know how the prices go in the dealership. If I am going to consider training on how to bike it will be for health purposes and may just go for an average cost bike.

11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The real bike is altogether different from stationery bike in the sense it doesn't provide the same thrill and the natural feeling that a real bike does. You get to see so many new things in natural environment besides completing some of your routine jobs at the same time. I am taking full opportunity of biking for buying my vegetables and milk every alternate day.

12. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    That's one of my favorite things about riding a bike @Ray1@Ray1, we get to know a lot of new things in detail. I say in detail because with the bike we can stop whenever we want, while when we ride the car we miss a lot of things. On top of that exercising is most of the times effortless because we are enjoying ourselves. So, no need for a really expensive bike to do this.

13. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I was planning to buy a stationary bicycle but as you said it would be boring after sometime. The best part about cycling is that we can enjoy it watching nature while not polluting environment. I would also go for a bicycle which is within my budget and I think there are a lot of choices around. I would look for something that serves the purpose.

Cycling is a very good exercise which helps in strengthening our bones and muscles and also add to our cardiovascular fitness. So it is a good investment towards a healthy life.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to go on long rides during my stay in Australia with beautifully maintained bike-paths and not much crowd to stop you every minute or so (like in my area here). The scenery around the cycle path is so attractive that one would never fell bored even if he rode for few hours. Of course your ability to ride a bicycle counts a lot.

15. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Those bike-paths were gold to me when my kids were smaller because they allowed me to explore different parts of the city keeping them safe. These days we are already able to ride on quite a few roads, but the bike paths are fundamental for those that are getting started to gain confidence.

16. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't mean that regular bikes aren't good enough it's just that people prefer to own what's trending and of course have more features. I'd buy myself a regular bike since I would only be using it for fun and a form of working out. I guess the more expensive bikes would be good for those who want to be professional bike riders.

17. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    You might have a point there as we have people with a lot of money who just go for the most expensive bike just because they can afford it... At the same time, we have the experienced bikers who might really need a superior bike to gain them that edge. And then we have people like me who just want a quality bike at the cheapest price. :)

18. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I never have had a bicycle. In fact I even don't know how to ride a bicycle. However, I have a motor bike and I enjoy riding on my motor bike. Buying a motor bike is also an investment. I bought a motor bike about two years ago for $1500 and today, its market price is more than $1700.

19. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I started my first teaching job in a distant school location where I rode on a bike to go to the said school from Monday to Friday. I had been doing it for 7 years. The bike that I used is still in possession. I still keep it. I bought in a very cheap price but now it costs too much. Biking is a good form of exercise but you should be riding on a good quality bike that would last for several years. I should say that it should be made of Japan.

20. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I find it unusual that you can ride a motorbike but not a bicycle, as most people I would have thought would be the other way round. I also own and motorbike and have ridden them since I was 16 years old, but that love was first formed with bicycles as I learned to ride one of those when I was very young and it was just a natural progression in my case.

As for a motorbike being an investment though, I do agree with you and I have two bikes in the garage and both are now worth more than what I paid for them. They're never going to be collectors items as they are used almost every day, and especially in the summer months but while cars do tend to depreciate in value, motorbikes in general do the opposite.