Investing In A Bicycle

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by to7update • Oct 29, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Rather uncommon that the motorbike becomes more valuable after two years?

Riding a bicycle is pretty much like riding a motorbike, the difference is that you have to pedal. I would urge you to get a bike and give it a try, because it's simply one of the things that I love doing the most.

2. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Depends what make of motorbike you buy. If you buy a Chinese import for example then it will depreciate,but the more common brands hold their value well and actually go up depending on the model and how ell you look after it.

I do agree though, and a bicycle is probably my favourite pastime as well. It's fun, good exercise and can relieve stress far more than just going to a gym for example.

3. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I find it strange even so, as I thought that any motorized vehicle that gets out of the stand brand new, loses value. Maybe that is happening just with cars and bikes are different.

As for cycling yeah, it's a pleasure, but so much more than that, as it was my primary commuting vehicle for years before I got myself a car.

4. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I think the most expensive ones are for training or professional bicyclists. For fun, I suggest buying some cheaper but comfortable bikes. Sometimes, it's only the design that costs more and the art so if you're only in it to ride it then there is no use paying extra for just the aesthetics.

5. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    You are right that we pay more just for a specific design or specific brand, but associated to that design and brand, many times come also better quality materials, lighter and more resistant, and a professionally assembled bike, which we know that doesn't happen in some general retail stores. So we should consider all this before buying our bike.

6. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    Oh yes, I hear you. I feel your pleasure. I am now almost 30 years old. I still ride my bikes. I started at the young age of 3. My father started early as well. He is almost 70, and not a summer goes by, when he and I don't engage and hit the trails.......

7. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    My brother-in-law and another co-worker I have are crazy about bikes and they ride it almost everyday. I still recall when I started riding my bike, my friends just told me to pedal as hard as I could and that was it. Funny how a bike can cause so much emotions in someone, I guess it's definitely something worth investing. :)

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In Australia all cyclists must ride their bikes on cycle-paths especially designed along the city roads. One is allowed to come out of the cycle paths only when they have to cross the road on an intersection and then back to bike-path again. I love the way people stick to rules but the only thing that irritates me is the use of helmet. I wish I could use a bike without helmet and enjoy even more.

9. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I say more valuable because If I had not bought to years ago, I would have to spend more if I was to buy the same brand.Machinery items depreciate, however, the price of motor bikes have substantially increased in my country.
    Bicycle is a good transport medium because it leaves no carbon footprint and your body gets exercise just by riding the bicycle to the work place.

10. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, helmets are overrated and I don't wear one. I was recently in Amsterdam, most likely the city in the world with more bikes and guess what, no one wears a helmet!!!

I see @Vinaya@Vinaya, so it's costing more now is that what you meant?

11. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    At this moment, I don't have a bicycle, however, I am considering to buy a bicycle. First of all, cycling is a good exercise. Good thing about cycling is you don't feel like doing exercise. You can cycle to the market or work place and give your body exercise proper exercise without doing any exercise. Secondly, when you use cycle, you will save fossil fuel.

12. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Biking is good, but buying a new one which is priced insanely isn't. Well if you have tons of money to buy that bike then go for it. But for me, if I would be just using it to roam around our place, my old bike would be fine. It functions well though it isn't new.

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Buying a bike was one of the best investments I could make with my money. :)

It's a cheap investment, which brings enormous health benefits. If you are a person who doesn't already have a bike in your life, please... Rethink your concepts. ;)

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update I was in India for last couple of years and I tried a helmet while riding a bike a and you know what- everyone started laughing when they saw me with helmet! Here no one rides a bike with a helmet on and even motorbike riders do not wear a helmet in most of the places barring metros.

#34Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017
  15. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    You can get an adequate and sturdy bike which can give u a great amount of pleasure and exercise at a very affordable price. Just like most other vehicles, there are the standard and luxury classes and people are able to be fulfilled with either class according to affordability. Just like how a standard car may be able to take you from point A to point B as type luxury type would, a standard bike will be able to give you the fun and exercise like a high-end one would. You may not necessarily need all those fringes that may come with the more expensive machine.

16. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 lol so no surprise, it's a matter of habit. Some people feel safer with the helmet, but not wearing it might raise the awareness among drivers that a person is there, so they need to watch out. My kids do need to wear it because of their mother haha. :)

#36May 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017
  17. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't encountered a brand new bike that's more expensive than a car yet. But the expensive ones that I see are the mountain bike ones, since they are large and well-built than the regular bike. I think they cost around $408 or so, since my bro bought one and I find it expensive.

18. trea

treaNew Member

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania If you're okay with secondhand items, I'm sure you can find an affordable, but quality bike that you can even customize. That's how I'm planning to buy my second bike. I think the most important component is the frame, so I'm looking for a secondhand branded frame. The other parts can be changed and upgraded to the person's liking so those won't be a problem.

If you want a brand new bike, but unsure of what to buy, just choose a cheap version of the type you want to have right now because after using it for some time, you'd eventually realize what kind of bike you really want to have and sometimes (based on my experience), it's not the current one you have.

#38Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2017
  19. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @trea@trea, Actually, I don't know how to ride a bike, and I don't plan on learning how to ride one either. I think it's too late for that, plus public transportation is cheap anyway.

20. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes,a bike is a good investment for the utilitarian cyclist as well and not only the weekend warrior to keep in shape with. You can also use the bike to go to the supermarket if you live in a village-like atmosphere and the roads are not to busy(I ride in the grass along the road myself). Also you can stop in the park on the way home and run or hike as well.