Investing On A New Laptop

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by to7update • Nov 23, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    My laptop is fairly old (approximately 10 years old), but it still does most of the job. There are some sites that require newer operating systems and mostly better system requirements, but I am still hanging in there with the old one. The question here is, where should we draw the line and give up on an old computer and invest on a new one? Is it all a matter of speed and reliability?

2. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest i used to be one of them people that always upgraded to the newest technology as soon as it came out, even if the device I was using at the time was still good enough. These days though, I recommend that the only time you should upgrade is when the device you're using doesn't fit your requirements anymore.

If what you are using is more than capable of doing everything you want it to do, then there isn't really much point in upgrading in my opinion. Every device like a desktop PC, tablet or laptop will need to be replaced eventually, but I just don't see the need to have the latest and greatest device just for the sake of it.

Having said that though...10 years IS a long time to have the same computer, but if it does the job then I guess there's no need to buy a replacement just yet.

3. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I can relate with this new "you" @pwarbi@pwarbi because I have only bought one laptop my entire life. It still does the job, but already limit my access to some sites that require 64 bit operating system and 4GB+ RAM, either cases I am still managing and analyzing the pros and cons of doing it. I guess I am just not ready to spend money on something I am not sure I need. It's all about the ROI! :)

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am actually in hunt for a new laptop. My old desktop is already showing bad symptoms as if wanting to be replaced. My budget is only $500 and unfortunately a good laptop here costs more than that. My need is for a new operating system which is Windows 10. I hope to buy a new laptop by December.

5. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    What sort of problems do you have with your laptop @Alexandoy@Alexandoy?

Yeah, where I live $500 could buy me a laptop, but not the best one. When I replace my desktop I will get a good one because it lasts longer, that is why mine is 10 years old and still working fine.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Why get a new laptop if the old one could be upgraded to a new one for efficiency and could function as a new one. That is the way I perceive. However, if you have enough money to buy a new one it's up to you.

7. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    That's what I have done with my laptop @Nakitakona@Nakitakona, but from a certain point on it's impossible to upgrade. My processor doesn't support more than 3GB RAM and this is already not enough for some tasks I need to perform. Either cases it's already 10 years old.

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I used my last laptop for about seven years before it finally started developing different kinds of problems. I took it to the repairers, after some work on it the repairer told me it was beyond repairs. I wasn't financially ready for a new laptop then. The repairer advised I could go for a refurbished one in the meantime which they were also selling in the shop there. I followed his advice and got one for about $150. The refurbished computer I finally got from him has been working perfectly, no issues. I guess I was lucky too.

9. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    Purchasing a portable PC is a session of factors. There's nobody gadget believe it or not for everybody, and the quantity of conditions that figure out which one may suit you can feel unending.

Purchasing a PC is a major speculation. Also, with such a large number of various choices accessible, it can be difficult to make sense of how to meet the specialized needs of your not-for-profit or library and still remain inside your financial plan.

It's conceivable some fundamental upkeep undertakings or a straightforward equipment update can help execution and give your old PC new life. In the event that you do require another PC, a standout amongst the most critical things to consider is the way you will really utilize it.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What I have is a desktop that is 7 years old and running on Windows XP. The other month, the hard disk got broken and I had to scramble to restore the backup of files. That is an eye opener that I need a new computer and laptop is my choice. However, it is pretty expensive here. My target is an HP Elite with 13-inch monitor which costs slightly over $1k. Mind you, that's a lot of money here.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just bought myself on sale a Dell Inspiron and it works just fine. I guess if you're computer is working fine and all it needs is upgrades, you could upgrade it or if you'd like a new one that's on sale, that's fast, preforms good etc, and you could afford it, why not. I'd buy a new one and sell the old one because the new one is more equipped for what's online today and you won't have to worry at all about computer use. You got to do what's right for you though.

12. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I too am in a dilemma. My laptop is in gasping state despite taking care of it like my baby.

It is 8 years old. I still am pusjing it hard and I know I better part with it with something more sophisticated.

13. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it is plain and simple and it is clear as water. You need to get a new laptop for that matter. There are so many good laptops in the Net. Better check their specifications either they suit to your personal taste or needs. And evaluate its price. It is a high price for a good or even better lappy. Price is the determining quality of anything. When the price is high, it means it is good and it is efficient in its service. When the price is low, it means it is inferior or the product doesn't have a longer life span.

14. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to upgrade my devices once they are completely unrepairable. I don't care to have the latest technology as long as my device does the job. It is different for people who depend on their device for work purpose, workers usually need the latest upgrades to get their jobs done properly.

15. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Very true. That is one of the major drawbacks of laptop. When it comes to upgrading features desktop is always better. My previous laptop lived up to 10 years or more. It was a Lenovo ThinkPad, a really sturdy one. But when I realized that it can't be upgraded beyond a certain limit I had to replace it with a new Thoshiba Satellite laptop.

Nowadays 2-in-1 laptops are becoming very popular which can be used both as a laptop and as a tablet. Its monitor is detachable which can be used as a tablet.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    10 years for a laptop I am impressed! Mine have usually needed to be replaced within a few years. The one I am on now has problems with the clock battery. It is going to fail to start at some point. I might get it fixed once for convenience sake, but I am not sure..You can get some pretty good deals on laptops these days.

17. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, true. My laptop is still running fast, just limited. Just little over one year ago I had XP and 1GB RAM, now I have Windows 7 and 3GB, so it's as good as new! :D I am considering buying the Lumia 950 with Windows 10 and a dock, I've heard it's as good as a computer. :)

18. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I feel you. I'm also using an ancient laptop which is originally my dad's and I can still use it properly. In fact, it runs in Windows 10, however there are a bit lags and hiccups most of the time especially when I'm opening 4 or more tabs on Chrome. Buying a new laptop is out of the question as of now since I don't have the budget yet. One of my friend told me that I can convert my OS into Ubuntu or Chrome OS to make it faster and I'm considering that actually. But hopefully I can buy myself a new one soon :)

19. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, I would not call my laptop ancient, it's only 10 years old! :D I've tried windows 10 on this laptop when I upgraded it, but it was too slow and freezing, so I switched to Windows 7. Pretty much like you say, the lags and the hiccups, that doesn't happen with W7. Chrome OS is a good solution, but only if you just need it for browser usage.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I generally change my laptop in 2-4 years but I keep my last one for at least one year or so. I have three laptops right now and one of them is almost 8 years old. It is working perfectly but few of its keys are making trouble besides I haven't changed its battery which is good for only 20% of its original life. I think we can keep the saying in our mind "electronic devices are good for 5 years" later they start losing their life due to chemical reactions in soldering etc.