iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Suffer From Bending Issue

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by troutski • Sep 25, 2014.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Reports have indicated that the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus might be a little too thin for their screen size. Various owners have posted images showing the devices bent out of shape from being in pockets for too long or just barely dropped. One owner even bent the phone with the slightest bit of force. Of course, all metal-clad and even plastic devices can be warped out of shape. It happens to the Galaxy S5, HTC One, and most other devices. Not all users have reported such issues, but it's a PR nightmare for Apple to say the least.

2. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    A PR nightmare, indeed. There are speculations that they will be replacing the bent iphones on an individual basis. As far as I know, Apple hasn't said anything since this bending issue surfaced the online world.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Here's a test video, yes, it bends easily. But since everybody wanted a thinner, bigger phone I'd say it was to be expected. Still, Apple did not perform proper testing I'd say, I watched a Galaxy Note 3 bend test (from the same guy) and the phone is sturdy and doesn't bend even when greater pressure is applied.

[video=youtube;znK652H6yQM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM[/video]

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've seen this and I'm also starting to notice the bias of some media outlets who seem to be eager to be first to report about iPhones when they launch or any other feature or news but keep silent when it's something bad. I'm somewhat of an Apple fan myself, so it's not that I want them to see destroyed, but I just wish online journalists had a bit more objectivity than their mainstream counterparts. As for the product itself, I didn't like the way it looks anyway so I probably won't be getting one, but I hope they sort it out soon. I'm sure they will be coming out with an 's' version in the near future if this continues to be a problem.

5. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    Here is the Galaxy Note 3 test you mention. I don't think there's anything shocking about it. This just in, Plastic doesn't bend as easily as aluminum. What's tomorrow's news? :)
    I think it speaks volumes DrRipley that the iPhone 6 has been on sale for less than 2 weeks and Apple fans are already looking forward to the S version to fix all of the issues with the launch device. That's become a new trend that should be very distressing.

[video=youtube;FwM4ypi3at0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0&src_vid=znK652H6yQM&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_3427661417[/video]

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess the solution is to just not use aluminum in their phones if that's possible, because it is malleable in the first place. At least I heard that Apple intends to replace those bent phones if they pass a test called "visual mechanical inspection". More info can be found here:

7. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Well you can bend aluminum that easy if you force it to. But I guess it's a rather crappy thing to have to pay almost a thousand dollars for a phone that might bend over and break if you put it in your back pocket. I feel sorry for those people that bought the iPhone once it came out all to face this issue of bending.

But aluminum is the cheapest, I'm guessing that if they changed the material they use that's another excuse for them to rack up the price. I'm now positive that the iPhone 6S will have to have a sturdier material than aluminum.

8. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I'm incredibly surprised that the plastic build of the Moto X was the most durable... Especially considering it is known as a very affordable phone for the specs that it runs. Perhaps Motorola is the king of build quality despite their budget phones? I'm also wondering how the Moto G shapes up, as its construction might not be as solid as the Moto X, but how exactly does it compare?

Also, I wish these stress tests were done with some accurate way to reproduce a certain force. Perhaps certain phones are harder to grip correctly to apply a maximum amount of stress. Anyway, I'm seriously questioning Apple's foray into the plus-sized smartphone region of the market. Hopefully next time they'll do a much better job.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I think this issue has been out for years even the other phones have this issue. But still, for a phone that costs a fortune you'd think it would be more durable. But to be fair, the person in the video is really using force, you can see his hands are shaking so unless you're dumb enough to sit while your $800 phone is still in your back pocket then I guess it's not entirely the phones fault.

10. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    A lifeproof case should take care of most of these issues as well as making the phone completely waterproof. I was sold on the thing when the Sprint rep took his iPhone out (in lifeproof case) and literally threw it on the floor. You can drop it in the ocean, anything. I got a lifeproof case and my phone was in perfect condition up until the day it got stolen. I have not tried it on the 6 but that's the plan for now.