Iphone 6s Scam

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DreekLass • Nov 1, 2015.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is currently a scam going around in the UK and Canada primarily. A site called Funkyclock claims that if you pay them one pound or one dollar, then they will send you an Iphone 6. But if you read the terms and conditions, they begin charging you seventy five pounds a month after five days, and there is seemingly no way to cancel it.

There are also false comments on the facebook pages, people claiming that they have received their phones. Just a heads up guys.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There have been a few like this and one even has a BBC news report review (fake) with links to these sites. The only way to get an iPhone is to pay for it, or get an older model refurbished via Groupon or a site that will have a guarantee.

If it sounds too good to be true then it is. I still clicked out of curiosity, but then realized the BBC would never report on such a story with a link.

3. DreekLass

Threads:
    From my understanding, the BBC have reported these cases, but they have been endorsing them, as have CNN - considered to be two trusted sources of news and information by those who often don't know any better. One article that I saw, even had a picture of Emma Watson from Harry potter holding up an Iphone, claiming that she had thought it was a scam at first, but then when she sent off and paid the small price, the phone arrived after three days.

4. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    In fairness to those two publications, whatever you think of them normally, I've seen sites crafted to look exactly like news outlets before. It's not until you look at the url that you realize the site wasn't created by CNN, or the BBC, or whatever. It's not that difficult to copy a layout wholesale and then use it to scam people.

Either way, thanks for the info. Apple products always seem to be at the centre of scams.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If any deal sounds too good to be true then it probably isn't as most people who fall for these scams learn when they lose some money. An Iphone for a buck? Should you get the phone then you'd spend a lot more money than the Iphone itself costs if they charge you 75 pounds a month. Definitely something no one should attempt. Better save money and buy an Iphone 6S or any newer model that will be on the market or buy an older model.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    I think that it is because they are so popular, and they feel that everyone wants an Apple product, hence people are more likely to fall for it. But that is also the hindrance - that a company as big as Apple would not be so stupid as to sell items that are worth hundreds of dollars and pounds for one dollar or one pound. Yes, you are correct that some of these scams do template these outlets. But apparently it has been on CNN news as far as being televised. I can't prove that though. I heard it.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, if that's the case, CNN and BBC could potentially be setting themselves up for some liability by those who've been scammed based on their reports. I actually saw this scam the other day, but I can't remember where. It might have been in my Facebook feed, I'm not sure. I just figure something like that is a scam, but I'm sure many do fall for it, especially if they see it reported on the news stations and by celebrities.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't know for certain if these advertisments for this 'offer' have appeared on BBC or CNN, but the comments said that they had. On second thoughts, the comments were also manufactured by the scam artists, because when you went to click on the profiles of these people, you were unable to, and also you were not able to leave any sort of comment on the article.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OMG that sounds horrible, and you just know that some people will fall into this trap! Without looking at the small print, the offer does a little too good to be true, and we all know all about that. Some of these crooks will go to great lengths to swindle innocent people out of their hard earnt money!!! Thanks for sharing, DreekLass.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The first rule of online bargains is that you don't get owt for nowt! For those who live outside the North of England, that means you don't get something for nothing.

Good call for for sharing @DreekLass@DreekLass, I've seen the fake BBC article and it looks so convincing. I'm particularly LOL-ing at Emma Watson paying a quid for a phone - as if! She probably got hers completely gratis !

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Thousands of people have already fallen for this scam, and I was almost gotten by it. But my bullshit detector went off and I had to go and do some research. There wee multiple articles that said the same thing, but just has different countries, and different celebrities to draw in different demographics. The first article that I saw said that Emma Watson had done the scam and she was 'pleasantly surprised' to have received her phone for one pound. Then I saw another article with another celebrity saying the excact same thing.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, that should serve as a warning to people to not trust ads that are too good to be true. You can only get an iPhone in the stores as part of a plan or in a prepaid kit that's sim locked. Other than that is quite shady already for me.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If your claim is true then that website should be reported to the Scotland Yard. But my rule of thumb when it comes to attractive deals is like what @sidney@sidney said, not to trust ads that are too good to be true. Can you imagine an iPhone for just 1 pound? But in fairness to deals, the Cebu Pacific airline sometimes offer 1 peso plane ticket. We had twice availed of that promo and I can vouch that it is true.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    It is not a claim. These scams are out there for a fact. I almost fell victim to it myself, before I put my head back in reality and started to be logical about the situation. A quick Google search brought up Youtube videos who were debunking the scam and exposing it for what it was, s well as news articles that detail this as a scam. it is one of the smartest scams I have seen in a while.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, I also have heard about that promo. It makes me wonder how can they still earn if the fare is that cheap?

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The promo of Cebu Pacific Air works like this. They sell half of their seats for 1 peso promo and half the number of seats are sold in regular price. So when there are no buyers of the regular priced plane tickets, at least their plane would still fly. Cancelled flights can ruin the image of the airline. But they only sell the promo tickets for flights that are not popular like Mondays. Weekend flights are usually expensive.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have never ever heard of such a cheap airline ticket. I am used to them being all seven hundred pounds plus and such lol. I don't know whether i would be able to trust an airline that was selling tickets for so cheap. On the other hand, I don't know how much a peso is in Great British Pounds.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, So there are no hidden charges and all you have to do is pay P1? If yes then that is quite cheap and a very good bargain.

@DreekLass@DreekLass, As per checking, £1 is equal to P70. British Pounds are worth more than US Dollars over here, right now it's around P45 to $1.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    British pounds are worth more than US dollars, yeah, which is why I always love it when I find an online website that pays in pounds instead of dollars lol. But what is P70 and P45? A P45 over here is the letter you hand in after you have been dismissed from a place of work. Do you mean Pesos?

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Yup it means Pesos, there is the Mexican Peso and the Philippine Peso. The P usually has a line on the circle part of the P, like the lines of $ and £. I think those lines on the letters were coined stictly to decsribe currencies, don't you think? I have only been paid in Pounds by Fivesquid, I wish more sites paid in Pounds too, hehe!