iphone or android?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by katharinemae • Jun 26, 2012.

1. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    My husband is planning to buy a new phone. I have an iphone and i am very satisfied with its features, so I told him to buy the same phone as mine. He doesn't trust my opinion and went ahead (asking anyone who would listen) what phone he should buy. Now he's torn and can't decide on what phone to buy after hearing all the information he gathered(serves him right). What do you think is the best phone for him? I'm choosing between an iphone and an android.

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Since you already have an iPhone, it would depend on how much he wants to invest in all of his apps. I am assuming that you are able to use the apps on more than one unit, if not, disregard. If he doesn't have a problem with investing money into them and knows that he wants to stay with the iPhone for pretty much forever, then he should get the iPhone.

I personally, wouldn't want to be locked in like that, so I went with Android. I'll always be able to use the apps that I have purchased, but I can choose from a wide selection of manufacturers and types of phones. I prefer the freedom of Android and that is what I'd ultimately recommend.

3. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you on this one. I have an Android phone and I can play apps from all over the world. The iPhone won't let you do this, you can only download what they have in the iPod store. My phone is rooted so I have extra freedom to play games, and I can tweak the phone to my liking. The iPhone has a lot going for it like the responsive touch screen, the resolution is great, and it has many games that Android phones don't have. It really depends on what type of apps you like because with Android they have the option for a flash player. That's something Apple doesn't have, but it's his decision as to which device he feels comfortable with buying.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    From what I understand, there are some Android phones out now that put the iPhone to shame. Not that it actually surprises me, but since I've only paid attention to the very first one that came out, I can't say that I've ever had any envy for one. I had a BlackBerry then and was very happy and I have an Android now and even happier. I have never had much of a hankering for an iPhone. I don't even know if I'd keep a free one at this point.

5. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    I would go with android, the way that its open to more apps than iPhone, in a way thats outside of the app store makes it more worth it, says me :D

I currnetly have a blackberry, but I'm defiantly moving to android once I get the chance to upgrade my phone.

6. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely go with an Android. My brother has an iPhone, and I have a Droid. My phone is much better than his. More options, more apps, and easier layout.

7. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I would also recommend getting an Android phone. iPhones are great but they have severe restrictions as far as their plans and apps are concerned. Android has a thriving marketplace and some great phones that rival features offered by Apple iPhone.

8. katharinemae

Threads:
    I was not able to relay the information to him because when he got home he already purchased an Android. Well, i guess he got the right phone for him after all. Thanks guys.

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Well, thanks for getting back to us...I checked this thread and wondered what choice would be made. I agree that he made the best choice. Apple is too confining in so many ways. I am also planning on getting an Android after playing with my brother's one. After comparing the time spent on the iphone, I enjoyed the Android much much more. Good call!

10. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I love the way a man can choose you to be the one he wants to spend his life with, and be his wife. But when he asks you, the most "special" person, he can't even trust your opinion on a cell phone. ( mine does the same thing. I tell him something and he ALWAYS has to go verify or confirm it with someone else) ANNOYING! Anyway I think IPOHONES rock We have them, love them, and will probably continue to keep getting newer ones in the further. They are very easy to use and have great options. In fairnessI haven't tried a android...... seems they are for the younger folks.

11. joe128139

joe128139New Member

Threads:
    I've been going with the Samsung Galaxy series lately and been very happy with my purchases. Accomplishes a lot of the same things and doesn't cost nearly as much. Another plus: Apple doesn't control every device that is in my pockets!

12. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't know if I would consider the purchasing of a phone to be critical enough to throw the marriage vows of trust and honor at them. Maybe they really don't think you know enough about the subject of gadgets and gear. You just said you don't know anything about an Android and assumed that only younger people would like them.

I don't see how him asking one of his friends about a phone would be any different from the things that you ask your friends about, like perhaps clothing or maybe something to do with your personal health.

13. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    Hope this will help but:
    * the iPhone is the best phone where you just want to use and not worry about any tweaking, adjusting, customizing .. and if you can handle the soft keypad
    (my wife and my 2 youngest daughters have it)
    * the Android is the phone you need when you like to tweak, customize, take control and own your phone ... while paying less than for an iPhone
    (my oldest has it, she works in IT)
    * i am still on a Blackberry because of the combo hard/soft keypad as i do a lot of emails on this phone ... and it is definitely cheaper than the iPhone ...

14. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Android phones are more versatile and can be found at different (and cheaper) prices unlike iPhones. Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG are great brands.

15. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Mind you, I don't own either, but I've tinkered a bit with my friends who own those, and I'll have to go with the iPhone. As much as the Android has more features and whatnot, the iPhone's system felt a whole lot smoother and easier to navigate in. That's what's important to me. I admit, there are a few Android-only video games that I want...

16. iamPIN

iamPINNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with some here, I would personally choose an Android phone. Here are my Android phone choices: Of course, the new Samsung Galaxy SIII. I have seen it's TV Ad and all I can say is wow. Second would be the HTC One X, as we alll know, HTC has been constantly on top of the list when it comes to the best smartphones. Lastly is the Sony Xperia S, I love the 12mp camera. Sony Ericsson is another brand I trust when it comes to mobile phones.

17. iamPIN

iamPINNew Member

Threads:
    But still, it depends on your husband's interested. What features does he like his smartphone to have? Does he like a large screen? Does he want a smartphone with a high mp camera? After you figure out what features he likes, it would be easier for the both of you to decide whether to get an iPhone or an Android phone. :)

18. psmith140

psmith140New Member

Threads:
    For me it is Android. Yeah iphone is good, really good, in fact, there software is probably more reliable and less glitchy (unlike my HTC.) But Google plus is just so much better then the itune apps. It just has far more free and better content and the phones they run on are more flexible. Iphone is still pretty good though. It;s a matter of getting some balance.

19. klarawoodenjr

klarawoodenjrNew Member

Threads:
    I have heard that you can emulate the iOS in the android phone. Also, the iphone is very fragile and if you drop your iphone 2meters below the ground, you will notice a few cracks and scratches. Lots of youtube videos you can check about the shockproof of iphone and android. Also, the fastest smartphone right now is the galaxy s3 which dethrones the current iphone 4s. But the upcoming iphone 5 is questionable right now especially on its durability and quality of components used.

20. katharinemae

Threads:
    After reading all your posts and suggestions, i noticed that majority of men prefer android (including my husband) and majority of women prefer iphone. What's up with this? No one ever mentioned the phone design as a criteria but if you look closely, the iphone model with its sleek design looks rather feminine while the android is a little bulkier and manly. Do you think that the design might be an additional factor (unconsciously) in choosing the phone? Just a thought.