Irobot's Roomba Poopocalypse

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Diane Lane • Aug 17, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it would be Handy to have a robot carpet cleaner, as well as a robot hard surface floor cleaner, since I have both in my home. However, I also have pets, and they do leave messes on the floor and carpet occasionally. Here's the

in question. If the link doesn't work, it's a temporary glitch, and I've explained the issue below. I could see this happening in my house, and I'm glad that I've seen the story and am familiar with what can happen.

The company is working to address the situation, because it is not a one time occurrence, and they're considering making it so that the device can detect feces, but I didn't see urine mentioned, and that would also be a concern for me. The page isn't loading for me right now, but hopefully that issue will clear up. I read the story directly from the link page earlier, so it's probably just a temporary issue. In case the link isn't readable, what happens is that if the pet defecates on the rug (or probably the hard floor, as well), the robot goes about its business and then tracks that excrement throughout The House, and the homeowner/tenant then wakes up or comes home to a nightmare of feces tracked throughout the home by the Roomba.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to have a Roomba, and I just loved it, @Diane Lane@Diane Lane . I can see where it could cause a problem if it were left to run when no one was around; but we didn't do that.
    I always went around and made sure that there was nothing on the floor that Roomba might get tangled up with. I picked up small throw rugs, and any clothing that was lying on the floor, and things like that.
    Plus, we were always right there when we ran the Roomba, so if it did get tangled up or trapped somewhere, I could go and rescue it.
    If a person knows that they have animals that are apt to mess in the house, it seems pretty silly to just let the machine run when no one is there to check fort and make sure that any pet messes are picked up. It would definitely be a nightmare to clean up once the Roomba had dragged it all up and down throughout the house.
    When used and supervised properly, Roomba is a great appliance to have ! It can clean under the bed, under a couch that has longer legs, but is too low to get under with a regular vacuum, and it picks up an amazing amount of dirt and pet hair.
    It will also pick up any fleas or other bugs that are hiding in the carpet.
    I would run mine just about every day, and it kept everything clean, and the fleas that would come inside on the dogs after they had been out in the yard were picked up right away, as well as any eggs that they might have laid.
    Even though iit does not get every bit of the carpet each time, it gets most of it, and when used routinely, it will keep everything vacuumed and looking great, with little effort on your part.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree. First of all, I would think the directions or cautions would state not to run it when no one is around to supervise, because there could always be issues, chance of fire, etc. This place is too small, and there's just too much junk lying around to make it worth it, and of course, there's always the issue of pet 'business' that could be around to be tracked throughout the house. I can remember coming home from the walking trails and coming upstairs for something in a hurry, then realizing I'd tracked dog poop from the park and trails throughout the carpeted interior. I was fuming, but had only myself (and the thoughtless dog owners) to blame for the mishap. I remember you mentioned a Scooba I think it was called, or similar, for hard floors, did you ever get that @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady?

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, that does happen that people run over poop with their roomba. However I think to do is to carefully inspect the areas before you use your roomba. The choices in the machines won't do as much to eliminate accidents a careful inspection of the areas that need to be cleaned. The machines are expensive as well. I think utilizing coupons or rebates to purchse is the best thing.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had both a Roomba and a Scooba, which is the floor-mopping robot, and I loved both of them, @Diane Lane@Diane Lane . The Scooba only needed a tiny bit of water and white vinegar, and it would scrub the whole kitchen and bathroom floors. When it uses up the water, you empty out the dirt, and add more water and away it goes again.
    Between the two of them, we kept the whole house cleaned, mopped and vacuumed !
    I would probably still be using them; but we had financial problems, lost the rental where we were living , and had to move to a horrrible old trailer house that was free, but needed lots of work.
    There was no room to actually run the robots, and I had them stored in a container on the back porch; but somehow, they got enough moisture that they would not work again, when we finally moved away from that trailer and back to a decent place where we could actually use them again.
    I have found some cheaper Chinese robots on the Amazon testing website, but they are about $50 to test one, and I have not had that much extra to spend on getting it yet.

6. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    It definitely would be something really awesome to have robots that can do all the chores, especially the most annoying ones, I actually used to think of it back in the days when I was an innocent kid, however, I still think about that nowadays and I also believe it should not be something hard to develop, I do not really know if these already exist, but it would not be a bad idea to create some high standard robots to do the cleaning.