Is a $2 dollar reduction worth it?

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by Zapped • Jul 14, 2012.

1. Zapped

ZappedMember

Threads:
    I am with Progressive auto insurance, and have been for over 10 years. I got a quite from State Farm that was $2 less per month. Is a $2 dollar a month deduction worth giving up a company that I have been with for years, which has treated me well?

2. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, absolutely not. If you are comfortable where you are at with Progressive, I think you should stick with it.

3. tetutato

tetutatoActive Member

Threads:
    No lol. Just stick with your current one. Who knows if State Farm will treat you as nicely and there are no hidden fees involved?

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, it's only $24/year difference. If you have been treated well by Progressive why move. Great service is rare these days.

5. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Not really, especially if you've had a great relationship with your current company. Is $2 per month really going to make a difference in your budget? Like the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a little biased here since I used to work for Progressive, but they are a great company. They treat they're employees very well, and the main headquarters is a very impressive place complete with an on site doctors office. If you're an art lover, they also invest heavily in the arts, all the artwork throughout their buildings is all original work. :).

Regarding the discount, all insurance carriers rate customers by different sets of criteria. One might care if you're married or not, another may not. If you're not currently insured, some carriers won't even offer you a quote because they will consider you "high risk", and will instead sell your information off as a lead to one of the other carriers.

As others have noted however, while I'm sure State Farm would love to have you on their book of business, $2 isn't really much of an incentive - and I'm surprised the agent even tried to sell you on that, lol.

7. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I would say no. It's such a small difference and you've been good with the company for a decade. Sometimes loyalty goes further than money does. Who knows - maybe in a couple more years they will drop your rate for being such a loyal customer!

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I wouldn't do it either. If you have a good relationship with your current one, then $2 isn't worth it. If you've had issues and were actually looking for reasons to switch other than a savings, then it's worth looking into farther, especially if you end up with more benefits.

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    The only time it would be worth shifting over is IF they can offer you a substantially more lucrative save. As it stands now...it really is not worth the move over, in my humble opinion. Especially if the service has been good where you are...it is rewarding to have a good relationship with a service provider. All the best with your decision! (-:

10. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    One thing that you have to remember is that there is more to getting value from an insurance company than just low premiums. No matter who you pick, you need to be sure that they have a great reputation for dealing with claims. The best way to find that out is word of mouth from people you know who use the company you are thinking of switching to. I agree with the other posts. You should probably stay with progressive.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Something I didn't think to mention before....

Tell your current insurance provider that you're considering switching because of the price. Chances are, they can come up with some sort of discount to give you that will keep your business and you'll win in more than one direction.

12. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I'm a little biased because I was shopping around for insurance last week and Progressive gave me the best quote. So right now I am absolutely in love with them. My insurance went up significantly with my other insurance company because of some tickets and a couple of accidents. My old insurance company even pulled up an accident from 6 years ago. Progressive only went back 3 years. So, I say stay with Progressive!

13. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    No, a $2 decrease is not worth it. I would almost be offended.

14. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, not worth it. If you have been with Progressive for 10 years and are happy with them, it should take a lot more than $2 a month to even consider switching. Like Jessi posted above, you may be able to work with your current agent and bring the costs down if that is what you are needing to do. Try not mentioning that you are shopping around if possible. Just ask if there are any ways that you could save more with them first. If not, then try mentioning that you already havea quote for less. Try not to tell them how much less though!

15. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Nah. I wouldn't switch over $24 annually. It's not worth it. I'm looking to change auto insurance companies to. I'm shopping quotes but if I get a quote with only minimal difference I may as well stay where I'm at. As long as the service is good, I'd stay.

16. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    no way, unless the there's better long term benefits than just saving on $2 a month. If it aint broke don't fix it...:)

17. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    Not worth of leaving the company for 2$ a month. But you could ask them if they can't give you a fidelity bonus, after 10 years with them, you might get more than 2$ per month off :)