Is a Sociopath making your life miserable?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by GrandmaHugme • May 1, 2012.

1. GrandmaHugme

GrandmaHugmeMember

Threads:
    Is it possible that a Sociopath is controlling your money or making your life miserable in some other way?

I just cannot imagine that there are people who do not care about love nor actually know what love is. They just want control, sex, or command over money. They are called sociopaths. They aren't necessarily killers, although they can be, but they are predators. They take advantage of everyone they meet. They have no conscience and no remorse. They only want to scam you to control your money or property.

I learned that maybe 4% of the population may be sociopaths or roughly 12 million in the U.S. They say that they cannot be rehabilitated as adults. There are several characteristics to watch for such as: Charm, Ego, Attentiveness, Magnetism, Jekyll / Hyde personality, Lies, Blames Others, Intense Eye Contact, Moves Fast to commit, and wants you to Pity them for their situation (i.e. illness, loss of money, etc.)

Of course, not everyone who has these traits is a sociopath, but they could be. Do you know anyone that might be a sociopath? If so, how did you handle the situation?

2. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    I've never had a problem with sociopaths personally but I have friends who encounter them on a daily basis. Sometimes, it's a random who wants to interest you in a painfully obvious scam, that dominant ex-boyfriend who controls who you can and can't see or that exploitative teacher who fails you purposely until you agree to get dirty with him. It's all real and I've seen it. The only thing I suggest to them though, is as long as they aren't threatening you physically, you can and should man up and stand up to them. If it does get physical, I always involve the authorities or at the very least an authority figure. It definitely helps!

3. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Nope, not in my life. I don't put up with nonsense. That includes having sociopaths around. Honestly, a sociopath can make ANYONE miserable. And the worst part is, they won't even care. For the sake of your health, NEVER let a sociopath get his or her hooks into you.

4. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    I've never come in contact with a sociopath before, and from what you've posted- I'm glad I haven't. Are you sure that there is absolutely nothing you can do to deal with them?

5. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I lived with a violent sociopath for several years. It was the worst and most frightening period of my life. Every waking moment I contemplated suicide. At that point anything was better thsn going home to be beaten for using my cell phone with out his permission, or whatwvwr other stupid thing angered him
    I escaped the relationship, and cut off all ties with him.

Trying to understand the situations people live throug when deaking with sociopaths and what not is nearly impossible, until you experience it yoirself. Always err on the side of caution, for personal safety purposes.

6. Benleem

BenleemNew Member

Threads:
    Yet to meet one. If one comes my way I'm sure I can handle it.

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I think that many government officials, bankers and big corporate bosses (not all, some) are sociopaths. They can charm their way to the top and ruthlessly protect their position. They can lie without blinking...and come over very likeable, but they will screw you over as soon as the opportunity arises....

Yes, there are many sociopaths out there, and they are ruling the population. And yes, there is no way to help one...as they can manipulate their way out of every so far known therapy.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This is a very interesting topic, and you hit the nail on the head. Those are surely signs that you can watch out for from someone in your group who you may suspect as a sociopath. However, it is harder to point these details or tells in real life and real interaction. A true sociopath would be able to hide and charm his way into you not noticing any of these. They do not intend to do harm, though, they just are who they are. Just trying to make the best of what was given to them just like the rest of us. I do understand that having someone like this around you can be draining if you are not aware, so just try to keep your eyes open and make a stance for yourself, that way no matter if who you're facing is a sociopath or not, you can be secure that you are keeping yourself safe.

9. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, there is one in my family and that person knows exactly how to manipulate people. It's awful and it made my life and my family's life hell for a long time. It was always some sad story about why they needed money, this person has only had two jobs her entire life and she got fired from both with in a week. They had "borrowed" money from everyone in the family and never paid anyone back but the last straw was when this person stole the money that was donated to her mother's final expenses. It was sickening, not only did she not pay for half of the final expenses, she stole money from those that were trying to help. That was the straw that broke the camels back, we realized just how selfish and heartless she was, she was disowned by both sides of her family completely, her father went so far as to put in his will that if she was to even show up at his funeral, she was to be thrown out.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My ex best friend was a psychopath. He wasn't violent, just incredibly selfish and vain but charming enough to get away with it. What ended our friendship is that my daughter, who was a toddler at the time, had pneumonia and I told my friend that I was worried sick about my kid's health. He briefly listened and then changed the subject to Jennifer Lopez's breasts.
    I figured out that he was a shallow person and not really listening or concerned while my daughter was seriously sick.

11. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not looking to blame anybody ... mostly because--with a brain-injury--the sociopath is most-likely ME.

Maybe it's YOU ;)

12. Kelly Carby

Kelly CarbyNew Member

Threads:
    I unfortunately know a sociopath. And I am their target. They constantly use my full name to slander me online. I use to get upset and react. Once I realized what kind of individual I was dealing with I learned how to handle the mentally disturbing situation. Now I do not react, I do not retaliate, I DO NOT respond, because that is what the sociopath wants. A response, and reaction. They love getting you angry and upset and when you react (because you are human) they will turn it around on you, play the Victim, and try to make you look insane. Even saying "this person won't leave me alone, I am afraid because they are unstable emotionally. Responding fuels them.
    Since having the tools to deal with this, I have somewhat more knowledge and feel confident on how to handle it. I still suffer from anxiety due to this because it never ends. The sociopath hadn't spread any lies about me for about 6 months. Then yesterday I see that she has uploaded an insane video to YouTube and labeled with my full name. It initially upset me. But after talking to my husband about, I realize it doesn't matter what she says, no matter how untrue and bad it is. I am stronger and I an above it all. I was able to just laugh and let it go. Because I realize how miserable this person is. And the only thing they have to do with their life is harass me, and some other people. That is what their life has come down to
    What a waste ...

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if the people that annoy me for the sake of attention are psychopaths. but if ever they are then I think I am fuelling their need for attention because I tend to react most of the time. I guess I need to ignore them as much as possible.

14. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Wow...have I ever! My ex-fiance was a total head case but because he had a shy nature about him, I always looked the other way. Also, he's not bright or articulate so I figured it's better to be around good people as opposed to brainy people but when he moved in, it was another situation. This went on for years until a few years ago.

15. Hozyboy

HozyboyNew Member

Threads:
    I am a sociopath and I am not that bad. The problem with us us that we are not really that empathic and seem distant usually plus we are great actors and can fake anything. Mine is due to a rough childhood. The traits you are looking for are people who are charming from the time you meet them. If he is too charming to be true then he is one. Different characters can also show this.

I like who I am. It gives me power over the rest so I am never going to a therapist. Most of my friends are sociopaths too. But I guess they do not know this. It is really difficult to know you have such a disorder. Maybe I ave such friends so that I can be able to control them or understand their reasoning. Being one us not fun you feel alien and have a lot if mood swings and try to understand who you are.