Is Ace Hardware Going Out Of Business?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by JoanMcWench • Apr 29, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I noticed all the Ace Hardware's in my city are either closing & offering mass discounts or completely closed down. Anyone else seeing this?

I can understand how this has come to pass seeing as Ace seems to hire people who know how to use the tools & give them more because of it. Not to mention their prices being a tad more on the pricey side in comparison to Home Depot/Menards/Loews who also seem to hire teens.

2. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    I still see ads on TV from Ace Hardware so I doubt they are going out of business as a company, they wouldn't be spending big bucks on prime spots if they were. I'm curious, do you live in one of the Jade Helm 15 states? Walmarts in those areas are closing down for six months dur to plumbing problems which doesn't exactly sounds legit. Perhaps they want to get out of the way or offer their stores as some sort of base or training center?

3. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I have a cousin who is an assistant store manager at the Ace in her town; she hasn't said anything. It's her only source of income so I'm pretty sure she'd be a little nervous if she had any inkling of the store closing down. I see ads as well, but living in a bigger city I don't see any actual stores around. Most of the Ace stores I see are in smaller towns.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I hope Ace Hardware is not going out of business. I find a lot of old school help at Ace Hardware. Just the basics or the foundation can be found there - no high tech needed for the old school charm of a handyman.

There is only two that I can go to where I live. You can buy quality products that may costs more but the fact that they are of good to excellent quality is why I spend more when I do go there.

I'd sure hate for Ace to close up shop.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    The Ace where I'm at seems to be thriving. Granted there's only the one now where there used to be two, but the same family owned both to begin with so they just consolidated several years ago. I'm assuming they did that when rent went up on the square. The other location is better anyway. It's a sight easier to find parking there and it's a good thing because they do seem to get a lot of business.

I know of many times my husband and I have had to leave Home Depot and go to Ace to find what we needed.

6. Rippedoff

RippedoffNew Member

Threads:
    Sadly, Ace Hardware the corporation isn't there for their owners the way that the owners are for their customers. So yes many new stores are not being able to make it because they aren't getting the support they were initially promised prior to opening. Even older hardware stores that had been open and independent for years but went with Ace branding didn't make it afterwards because of the Ace financial pressures. Believe me. We are trying to get out from under a nightmare that has left us selling off everything we own to pay off the debt Ace got us into now. And they're still coming after us with creditors. We lost our retirement fund, our house, and several other investments. We aren't young. We'll never recover from this. But you think they care? If you don't believe me just google "Ace stores closing" and "Ace Hardware lawsuits." That's how I found this.

7. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Over here, Ace Hardware seems to be thriving as well. They keep on opening new branches in every mall. I guess it depends on the state and also the country. Also if they monopolize the area or if they have competitors or not.

8. Rippedoff

RippedoffNew Member

Threads:
    "Ace Hardware Corporation" or "coop" as they like to call themselves is thriving. They're putting some putz right back into the building we were in. You see they have this gimmick. They offer to "match" what you invest with merchandise when you open. They don't of course tell you that's how they clean out their warehouse of old dusty outdated merchandise no one wants. We had a PILE of band aids, sticky pads, sewing kits, etc,... and the band aids, sticky notes wouldn't stick anymore. And of course the envelopes that had stuck together and ripped apart when you tried to open them. We were promised "continuous help" for the first three years. Which we never got. The dude they sent for "training?" He came in with a box full of 3 ring binders that looked like a 12 year old assembled them and told us he was going to have to "consolodate" what he usually did over five days into two and we would have to read the binders for the rest. That was the jump start. That's only the beginning. I could write a book! When he came in the door flipping his greasy hair back out of his eyes I should have told him to leave then! But I was a teacher for 15 years. I never judged a child by appearance so I took that approach then. Big mistake. That was the beginning of a 3 and a half year nightmare.

9. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    The Ace hardware keeps going strong where I live outside of tallahassee and it seems like they own the store and run it like your back in time,but they are not known for being very trendy. They really know the answers though when you ask them a plumbling problem or other things,and it makes you feel like you have somebody to turn to once in awhile. If you shop at the big box stores like Home Depot they always hand you the wrong part,but they are good at other things.