Is Amazon Prime worth $80 a month?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Eagle910 • Mar 2, 2014.

1. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I have been using Amazon prime for a while now, and i am starting to think is not worth. I know it offers free 2 day shipping on orders over $35, but the question is. How much would i spend on delivery without it. i do not make a lot of purchases per month. I doubt the delivery fee on the few items i buy each month would total $80. I am seriously thinking about canceling my subscription.

What do you guys think? Is Amazon Prime worth the price?

2. 29525500

29525500Member

Threads:
    The argument I have seen most often is that you should buy it if you use Amazon constantly but if it is something that you only use occasionally it may not be worth the money to you. However, Amazon is starting to look at other ways to sweeten the deal. There are some rumors of streaming music and movies being tied into the Prime bundle.

3. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    I thought it was $80 a year and not a month. If in fact it is monthly, that makes no sense in my book because I think it would cost way less than the $80 to ship those goods to you without the prime! It all comes down to how much you spend monthly though and you say you don't really shop that much so to me its a big waste of money, sorry!

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I would never use Amazon enough to warrant paying for prime, but I have used the free trial before. At work we actually had a syndicate for prime where we would all contribute £2/month and order it from the central account. Are there not other features that are included? I'm sure I've heard of something else that you get with prime that makes the cost a bit more reasonable.

5. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    No. Amazon prime is not worth $80 a month for the casual shopper. You should only pay for Amazon prime if you net over $80 a month in delivery cost. Otherwise you would be giving Amazon money.

6. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    No, No, No! $80 a month is outrageous! I personally don't find a 2-day shipping warranting an $80 month fee.

7. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon Prime is $80 a year, not a month. I had signed up for it previously just for the TV shows, but was disappointed, so I canceled before the free trial was over. I don't order enough on Amazon to need any free shipping. It is an $80 charge for a year membership. It ends up being just a little more than Netflix or Hulu Plus, if you break it down by month.

8. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it is $80 a year. My sister has it because she buys a lot of things on Amazon (some of it is work related) and so it does save her a lot of money in shipping costs. And there's also the perk of getting what you order in only 2 days.

I'd say figure out how much you pay on average in a year on shipping costs. If it's over $80 then it's worth it, if it's under $80 then it isn't.

9. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    Guess I won't find out anytime soon if it's worth it or not. There are two reason why I wouldn't use Prime:

1) I don't order enough from Amazon on a yearly basis to justify that price.
    2) There is no item I need to get within 2 days. As a matter of fact, I've done normal ground-shipping for the past few items and still got it at the same time or 3 days. Everytime that happened I scratched my head saying "and I was eager about getting this sooner by paying more?" Now I understand the location from where it is coming from could add more time, but I've shipped plenty of items to friends or even done bundle shipping to my home and got them in about the same time. If I'm extremely lucky, so be it. I don't need Prime.

It's nice to have the option but it'd be a waste for me. So no, Amazon, I don't want to sign up for Prime no matter how many times you ask during check out.

10. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    I think it is too much $80 a year should be the correct one i don't understand why are you still using Amazon Prime!!

11. Nicole87

Nicole87Member

Threads:
    Didn't the price of Amazon just recently go up to being $99 a year?

Anyway, unless you constantly order things from Amazon, I don't think you'll benefit from Prime unless you are okay paying $99 to get the few items you order from Amazon quicker than usual.

12. streakanime

streakanimeMember

Threads:
    I think that it depends on how much shopping you do on Amazon. There are a lot of times where I would buy one little thing if I had Amazon Prime. Otherwise, I just wait until I have enough money to spend $35+ so the shipping is free. The shipping on some of the items is crazy expensive without the free shipping. And then you have items that it really doesn't matter if you have prime or not because the shipping isn't free....

13. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I thought this myself. When i originally started this thread.

Now i have exceeded the $80 in shipping cost, and it hasn't even been close to a year yet. I am glad that i did not cancel my subscription. I was very wrong. I had no idea that i spent that much on shipping.

I have to change my opinion. I recommend Amazon Prime to everyone. Those shipping cost add up faster than you think.

14. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on how often you use Amazon. I use it pretty often, but haven't really sat down and figured out how much I'm actually spending on shipping. Now as far as the free movies go, I don't know if it's worth it or not. My sister uses this service and loves it though. So I'm seriously considering it.

15. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Movies can indeed be streamed if you have Amazon Prime, so yes, if you're buying from Amazon all the time it's very good and worth your money. Especially if you are a business owner.

16. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon is my primary source of internet shopping, so the investment into the Prime account was an easy one for me. Also, you can movies, TV shows and books for a kindle included in the package. As I take full advantage of all of those things, I'm practically getting paid by Amazon to use their service. Also, my family all use my Amazon account for shipping, so it gets good use. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm getting roughly 300-400 worth of goods (books, movies, TV shows,shipping) for $40 a year as a student. Can't beat that at all.