Is an AC worth it?

Discussion in Heating started by addicted_buyer • Mar 3, 2013.

1. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    During the summer it can get very, very hot where I live. This summer we've had entire weeks where the temperature didn't go below 35° during the day. That, combined with a very high humidity, made it impossible to spend the day somewhere with no air conditioner.

We have a couple ACs in my house, but not in my room. And, while during the day I could just go to the living room to get some fresh air, some nights were hell. So much heat made it impossible for me to get a goodnight sleep.

This got me thinking of buying an AC -- but these can be quite expensive and usually demand a lot of electricity. I finally decided it wasn't worth it for 3 hot months during the year (it stays rather cool - cold during the rest of the year).

What do you think? If you don't have an AC, have you considered buying one? And if you have one, do you feel it was worth buying one?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends. While central air conditioning could certainly suck up some energy and initial cost, you said you have a couple ACs in your house already..... which says to me that you're using window AC units. Those use way more electricity usually, so it could certainly be worth it to switch to a bigger, single, outside unit instead. Only run it when you need it, just as you normally do, and it could save you money in the long run.

3. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    Where I originally came from (SEA country), it's always hot. I have an AC in my room but I seldom use it unless I really can't bear the heat. Electric fan would always do me. Using AC is usually expensive but as long as you limit the time you use it, that's not a problem.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Wait, not going below 35 degrees is considered hot? Forgive me for saying but try not going below 90 degrees with 50% humidity sometime. Yes, that is the type of conditions we live with in Phoenix, Arizona, in the middle of summer. Needless to say it practically becomes a necessity to have an AC unit on your home. However, we tend to only use ours during the months of July and August. Rest of the time we use what is commonly known as swamp cooler, and ceiling fans throughout the house. These don't use up as much energy as an AC unit.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    35° Celsius, not Fahrenheit. That'd be around 95°F. Some days humidity wouldn't go down 70%. It was like being in the middle of the Amazon!

6. themdno

themdnoNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah, with the high heat, I think having an AC is pretty much a necessity. I can't see not having one, it just gets to uncomfortable. I live in AZ also, and it is so hot here, swamp coolers don't do much either, it has to be an AC.

7. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I personally wouldn't be able to live without an A/C during the summer months. Where I live it gets very hot and it is just impossible to survive in this heat.
    We even have heat waves every other week so going outside to get some fresh air isn't even an option for me at this point.
    I also try to put the settings on fan to save some money when my air conditioner is on.

8. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    We got another heat wave recently, so I promised myself I'm going to save up for an AC. The heat is just unbearable even when summer's already over!

9. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    OK now I understand sorry for the mix up. If this is the case then you really should consider investing in an AC unit. A way to cut down on cost is the keep your other cooling unit as well for times of the year when its not that hot or humid. This has worked for my household. We only use the AC unit from July through August which is our most hot and humid times of year.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it gets too hot to sleep at night, then I think getting an AC unit is a necessity. A swamp cooler is a cheaper alternative. When I lived in Las Vegas, I used a swamp cooler. It was a life saver. Eventually I moved away from Vegas because the thought of living through another summer made me want to cry.

11. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I can't function if it gets too hot. To me, the cost of running an AC is the price of being able to be productive (or get a decent night's sleep). I actually like the sound of the AC since it helps me focus and I get even more work done. (I work out of my home.)

12. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    We have central air and I honestly don't think I could live without it. Maybe that sounds snobby, but I rely on it. As soon as the temperature gets up over 80 the ac comes on and it stays on. TO me it's worth a few bucks a month to live comfortably.

13. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I live in eastern North Carolina, and the heat index here was 115 for two weeks straight last summer. So yes, I would definitely say that an AC is worthwhile here. The two window units that I have are surprisingly energy efficient. If it isn't too, too hot in your area, maybe you could consider investing in a couple of fans? You can pick up a large box fan for like $20 at Family Dollar, and it can provide a surprising amount of cool air. You could at least place it near your bed to make it easier for you to sleep at night.

14. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    I don't know about the set-up of your house and the other rooms but you said it yourself that there are already AC's in the different rooms of your house. So, did you ever try to sleep with the door to your room open. I don't know about you but maybe if you feel secured in your room with the door open, it could work. That way, coldl air from the AC's in other rooms can enter your room and you'll have a cooler room. That is if you are not that willing to buy an AC unit but if you can afford, you definitely have to buy one because 35 degrees is really intense.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me if this is a dumb question, OP, but do you have a fan at all in your bedroom? You can buy a powerful fan like a Lasko wind machine or a Vornado for around $40.
    Fans use less electricity than an air conditioner, and are cheaper to buy. My old Moss fan has kept us comfortable on 97 degree Florida days.

If you just aim the fan at your bed, you can sleep comfortably without buying an AC unit.

16. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on how hot your place gets in the summer. From personally experience, sometimes a fan will work ok if its not sweltering hot but when the heat is unbearable I need an AC unit in window or central air. There have been a number of occasions where the central AC went out and it was too much to fix at the moment so a fan had to do but a portable AC wall unit or another kind works so much better for me.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, it's definitely worth it. I live in a place with hot weather almost all year so everyone here invests in an air conditioner. Even though it's expensive, I just look at it as a necessary evil since without it I'd be more stressed out and grumpy so it's much better to just indulge in having one as long as it is within budget.

18. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeRMember

Threads:
    Where I live it is a certain necessity. A portable unit or other solution would not be as convenient/needed as an actual a/c unit. Depending on the time of year there are many great deals to be had. Now that we are in the summer months here in the US most A/C repairmen and distributors will offer their services and products at a premium because people NEED a way to cool off from the heat. For me, its an absolute necessity like I stated initially in this post.

19. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I would but another AC if it was that hot. I have a few AC's in my home, including my bedroom, because I cannot sleep with out it. It does use a lot of electric and can cause the bill to be high. If you do not want to buy an AC then I would suggest that you leave your bedroom door open and put a fan in the doorway so that air could circulate to you room.

20. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yes the A/C unit consumes more electricity than any other household appliance. Even more than a 42 inch plasma flat screen. But I myself cannot sleep in heat and sometimes a fan just circulates warm air. It also depends on your tolerance level. I need an A/C in my room (I am in India) but even back in the US, during the summer we had central air conditioning. Meanwhile in the winter (in India) people keep space heaters a lot, but I can tolerate the cold. Those electric heaters also consume a lot of electricity. So its based on your body type.