Is an Imac Worth It?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by teabwoi • Dec 6, 2014.

1. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Hi all

I am looking to get myself a new computer for Christmas because the one that I have now is really giving me a lot of problems. My father was speaking to me the other day and he is a serious lover for anything that has to do with mac and he was telling me that he thinks that I should invest in an Imac. I went over to Amazon.com and I took a look at some of them and I must say that I am really liking what I am seeing, but something that I also know is that things will look good when you see them on the computer, but then when you get them home it is a really different story.

So I am looking for and opinion should I get the Imac or should I get something like Alienware or a regular Dell or something?

Thanks!

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    My husband opened his own law practice 3 years ago, and made the decision at that time to convert all our electronics to Mac. It was a large startup investment, but it has done nothing but pay off.

First - I've never had a single virus on my mac. My PC was getting different trojan horses and malware a couple times a year (despite my most creative passwords and a pretty high level of care when opening emails). Another benefit to macs is that once you make the switch, all your electronics are compatible. We have iPads, iPhones, and Apple TV, in addition to my laptop and my husbands iMac. Everything in our house (and his office) is synched together, which makes things easy.

There was a time when my husband was sharing office space with another attorney who used a PC. They guy lost about a month of work, annually, to computer problems. In a business where the computer runs your life, and where time means money, the Mac, again, paid for itself. He's never had any problems.

The PC to Mac switch takes some getting used to, but I'd never go back to a PC.

3. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    I wanted a Google Chromebook built by HP because my old desktop was dying and I’m tired of Microsoft operating systems overly complicated ways of doing everything and I don’t require business productivity programs. I just want a simple computer that I can surf the web with, Google my questions, write a few short stories, edit and organize my pictures, and occasionally print something. In short, I want a simple computer that I can do things with. I now have that in my HP Chromebook for $318. I don’t like track pads much so I bought a small cordless mouse to go with it and now I sit in my big recliner, my 2.2 pound Chromebook on one arm of the chair and my mouse on the other arm using a paper towel for a mouse pad as I type this. I love it! Haven't found a thing I can't do with it and it's quite stylish.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think they are worth it. They are expensive but I think it pays off in time because it slows down a lot less than PCs, in my opinion. The only downside is that if they do break then they are a lot more expensive to get fixed as well, but for the convenience I think it is alright as a risk, considering it probably won't break as easily as a PC anyway. I think getting either this or a high end PC would be an okay choice but I especially would advise just buying an iMac over Alienware in my opinion.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I think the biggest issue is if you're more comfortable with Windows/Linux or the Mac interface. Personally I prefer the former since it's more widely compatible, however Mac does have its advantages as well. With regards to hardware I think there isn't really any noticeable difference between a mac and a laptop/PC.

6. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    This is something that my father has been preaching to me over and over and he has been telling me that the best thing about the Imac is that it does not get any viruses and that I would not have to bother about that. I think that this will be the biggest reason that I get it. I am tired of having to buy all kinds of different computer cleaners.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    iMacs might cost an arm and a leg, but they do provide excellent value. Mac OS is very user-friendly and stable, and the desktops themselves often have a lot of power inside themselves. Not everyone is willing to spend so much on a desktop, and plenty of detractors will criticize you for doing so. However, most people that adopt iMacs wind up understanding what all the hype is about. You could get a fine experience on a Windows PC for far less, but Apple gets certain things right that Microsoft doesn't, and this comes at a premium.

8. samantha681

samantha681New Member

Threads:
    I invested in a Macbook after my HP started acting up .

I have been very pleased with it.

9. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Well I do not think that I need anymore confirmation I think that I am going to invest in one I have been hearing to many good things about it. I will get one for sure. Is it a good computer for gaming as well?

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Gaming wise well the hardware itself is fine for gaming the only problem you would have are the games themselves. Most of the games of today run on Windows based machine and there's a good reason for that. There really aren't that much to offer in terms of games actually but you can bet it can handle them pretty well. If you're out there for gaming I would suggest stick with a PC.