Is anybody still using Dial-up?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Mafdet • Feb 28, 2014.

1. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    Hello all!

I'm curious about something. Is anyone of you still using Dial-up? I used to work for an ISP some time ago and they were still selling this type of connection. How is your experience with it? Is it too slow? Can is face this era of information or is it really obsolete?

2. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    Dial up is definitely obsolete. It would be to slow to load even the most basic of webpages. Not to mention that high speed internet only cost $15 a month. There is no need for anyone to have a dial up connection these days. Unless you live out of range of a broadband carrier. That would be my guess as to why some ISP still offer it.

3. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I guess that one of the reasons some people still use this type of connection is because they're used to it. Indeed there are remote locations where no other connection is available or if it's available, it's very expensive. I'm curious about the experience because even though I had to sell this type of connection to customers or convince them to keep it if they wanted to get rid of it, I've never actually used Dial-up myself.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do use dial up sometimes when I don't have a broadband connection, and it is indeed slow to load webpages with lots of heavy graphics. But if you rarely use the net then I think that's the type of connection for you, because over here, the prepaid dial-up cards cost as little as $1+ for 9 hours.