Is anyone still rocking a Flip-phone?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Colebra • Sep 3, 2014.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    It's really cool to answer one of these badboys...

[​IMG]

I'm seriously thinking about buying one, just for the fun of it really :cool:
    I'd have another phone for online stuff though...

Is anyone on board with FlipPhones?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I love them, though the one I have is a basic Samsung I use as a back up. I prefer it for texting as it has keypad and the keypad is protected. As a girl, it is easy to put into my bag or pocket and there is no accidental calling too.

I have a smartphone, but sometimes I get tired of swiping and a quick text is all I want to do. Also there is more privacy when you are using it as you can close it and no one can see the screen. I have friends who accidentally leave their phones on and anyone can see who is calling and the texts.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do miss my Samsung flip phone. I have a lot of memories with that. I had my flip phone when I was reviewing for the board exam. I loved it because it was extremely handy. Once the phone was closed, it just looked like a small shell. It was also a joy to use it for texting and calls. After the board exam, I gave the phone to my uncle. I don't know if it's still fictional. Am I considering buying one? Nope. I don't have extra funds for that.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use flip phones anymore but boy are they the coolest specially when you're answering phone calls. I feel like a bad-ass everything I flip them open and answer a call, also the phone is very portable and small unlike today where you need a separate bag just to carry your phone around.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never owned a flip phone, but I have used one. It was a Motorola phone. It was ok, but the GPRS of that phone was hard to setup, I have never successfully set it up to be able to browse the net when I was using it. I'm not a fan of the flip phones though, but now since they are very cheap and sold as 2nd hand units, I won't mind buying one just to collect it.

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I use my old Samsung flip phone whenever I travel just to for the heck of it. I really hate bringing my phones with me especially the Galaxy since it's terribly big and being that my hands are tiny as an elf's using the flip phone is really my way to go when traveling and it's easier to take calls with that thing.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I still have mine that I use whenever I'm taking public transportation. This way I wouldn't be too bothered if it gets lost during travel. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a music player so I can't listen to music while I travel when I use this, but otherwise it's very comfortable to use and I like the flip feature of these phones.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I actually haven't seen a single person that still uses it recently. I think flip phones are cool but i think they ran its course. It was great while it last but it's time is over i guess.

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a flip phone. :D I was very proud of it. I forgot the name, but it was a Motorola. Those were the good old days. Nowadays, phones are too complicated. I mis the old Nokia and Motorola phones that are just for texting and calling.

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't owned a flip phone for about 13 years now. I owned an LG Voyager about 10 years ago, but that wasn't a real flip phone. It was a clamshell smartphone, one of the first quasi-real smartphones. I don't think I could ever go back. I'd rather just snap every flip phone in existence in half instead of having to use one myself ever again. :p

11. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Ha, ha, yes, I am sporting a free basic flip phone from AT&T. I got the phone and first months service free. I couldn't afford anything else and you can't beat free so I took up the offer. I'm hoping to have the money to go back to my smartphone in a few months.

12. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had a flip phone in over eight years, and I doubt that I would sacrifice all the conveniences of smartphones, especially 4G mobile data, for the "cool factor" of flip phones. I'll leave it to the hipsters :p

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    What's funny is I remember when the top of the line flip phones cost almost as much as the top of the line smart phones these days. I remember buying a Samsung flip phone back in 2005 for around $500, and thought it was the coolest thing ever. It was sort of like Samsung's answer to the Motorola Razr...

Samsung-SPH-A900-picture-1.

Turned out the metal casing on the phone caused it to get really poor reception. And the resolution on the screen, while good for it's time, was laughably bad compared to today's phones. It looked cool to carry around though when I had it - I never used the extra screen or buttons on the front of it though.

I think one of the big smartphone manufacturers does actually have a clam shell design smartphone coming out soon - I want to say it's either Nokia or Samsung. But I am not sure what market it's aimed at. It's basically a phone with two screens - one on each side of the folding phone, so when you open it up it's one really wide screen.

14. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I am that kind of person who uses flip phone for normal purpose and for Internet I would have another phone. I think it is a very great idea, especially if you have two to three numbers. I love flip phone as they look really good and toy kind.

15. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The funny thing about this is that most flip phones can easily go for about $15 or less. That tells me that either it cost a boat load at that time to produce these phones. Then you have the fact that the production cost was probably really low and they charged your premium for the flip feature!

Sad part is that I still own and use a flip phone just in case my smartphone battery dies.