Is Anyone thinking of Making thier Own Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by thelovelyone0 • Oct 17, 2013.

1. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    Everytime I go to the websites like forver 21, Wetseal, Papaya Clothing, Tobi, and Boo Hoo, it's kind of all the same clothes. These crop tops are getting out of control like where on Earth are going to wear crop tops at? That is what I see the most and they're so cheap; I wish the clothes I like to wear were cheap. When I went to Busch Gardens, I saw countless of young girls wearing them. You would think that it is a great place to wear them since it is so hot out but a lot of people were starring at them. I kind of think it's inappropriate because your whole mid-section is out and there were children everywhere but crop tops are so cute though--I just wouldn't wear them. Anyways, I am going to take a sewing class at my local Fabric store and start making my own clothes.

I love wearing midi dresses and skirts but they are so over priced. Some of the dresses are over $100.00 and the dresses looks as if they are so easy to make. I used to make clothes all the time when I was a teen so I am going to start sewing again. I want to learn all I can about sewing prior to getting starting. Are any of you into making clothes?

#1Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Now that i think about it, a lot of members in my family were in some part of their lives making clothes, one of my aunts even owning a little clothes store. Still, i don't think i got that "old fiber" that people from that time had to make such complicated things.

3. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    Oh, that's cool! My family has never owned a store but they make clothes. I guess that is where I got my passion to make clothes from. :)

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have considered making my clothes because tailored clothing just fits better. I just don't have the skill. I took a sewing class in high school, but that was years ago. I'm sure if I could increase my skill if I dedicated the time. It's just not high on my list of priorities at the moment.

My mother keeps talking about making her clothes, but she hasn't started. She made her clothes when she was a kid. My grandmother could make clothes without a commercial pattern. She could look at a dress or jacket and make her own pattern.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I am sure we can all make these clothes and even with the changing style however the question is that we never have time.
    It really takes a lot of time and effort and patience to make clothes and then selling it can be another huge headache because many people have their trusted brands.
    However if you feel like you can be successful in this then I definitely recommend to go for it.

6. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think about making my own clothes. I think about customizing my own clothes all the time. There are pairs of jeans that I would love to customize to my liking but I don't do so, because it is a difficult task to complete. Compared to customizing clothes, I know making them would be even more difficult. Although I think creating clothes would be a great activity for anyone to complete.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, not really, I think that if you're into making your own clothes, then you either love fashion, or you dream of becoming a clothing designer one day. And since I don't fall into those categories, it's obvious that I wouldn't be keen in making my own clothes.

8. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I say if you want, go for it. I don't have the patience to put something together. I tried along time ago, and it failed. I have not tried since. My husband is good at it. He has made a few skirts for me. He can see things and just put it together in a snap!

9. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    I have a friend who makes a lot of her own clothes, and they always look great. I'm not a sewing person, and that's okay for me. But I definitely see what you're saying about going to the store and thinking that everything looks easy to make on your own - I feel that way and I know nothing about sewing! The prices of clothing are outrageous these days, especially considering they are made for next to nothing in China, Taiwan, etc. Keep up the good work, and who knows, maybe you'll end up with your own clothing line someday!

10. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I love the idea of making my own clothes definitely. But I'm not sure if I can make it on my own. But there are YouTube tutorials for just about everything now. So I'll definitely check it out.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish it were that easy. You know, wake up in the middle of the night and decide that from the next day on you'll start making your own clothes. But come to think of it, you can learn how to operate a sewing machine in less than a year and then from then on you can design your own outfits. It's a workable idea. . .and it can save a lot of cash!

12. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have thought about making my own clothes. In the sense of sourcing the fabric, forming a design and taking it to a factory to be produced. I think you could save money doing it like this.

Making clothes yourself would be too difficult. I suppose you could develop the sewing skills needed but I haven't got the time at this point.

13. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that most stores sell similar things and it gets kind of boring when you see the same shirt in the nth shop. I have thought about making my own clothes but unfortunately I don't have a skill so I design them and bring my designs to the local tailor.

14. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good idea. How much do you pay your tailor to make a garment you have designed? Do you have to source the fabric before you visit your tailor or does the tailor provide the fabric as well? I would like to do something like this, source the fabric and take it to a respected factory to produce my design. It seems like a lot of hassle, though.

15. KC Evans

KC EvansMember

Threads:
    Making your clothes takes time but for the ones who have passion for it, time doesn't matter. Custom clothing is fun and easier. T- Shirts were popular during the summer. I like both clothing ideas. Save money with a unique look. ;)

16. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I have a sewing machine and have thought about making my own clothes or just altering them. I agree that most of the fads right now are really pretty out there and not something I would personally wear. I just wish I had more time to use my sewing machine.

17. ChrisRoger

ChrisRogerNew Member

Threads:
    Ya i think about it two year ago but i can't do this. But i am still hard working for do that.

18. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I've always wanted to make my own clothes. I like unique looks. And unfortunately unique looks cost more. For example, I love the styles you see at Anthropologie and Free People. But they are just way beyond my price range.

I've tried sewing before but I really suck at it and worse, I find it tedious. Maybe one day, when I can afford a really good sewing machine that will think and sew for me, I'll get to make my own clothes. :)

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would love to make clothes. Unfortunately, I lack the skills to do so, I'm not really very good with my hands. I plan on at least trying to learn soon, though. I'm thinking of signing up for some classes or at least learning online within the next few years.

20. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I would really like to make my own clothes! I'm one that doesn't follow or keep up with the fashion trends and would much rather just be comfortable in whatever I find to be fly. I just need to find some time to figure out a sewing machine :confused: