Is Anyone thinking of Making thier Own Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by thelovelyone0 • Oct 17, 2013.

1. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I won't be making my own clothes because sadly, I am not a creative person. I never have images in my head of clothing I like unless I see it. :(

I also am not a patient person, so I wouldn't have the patience to make my own clothing. Time is another issue. It would be a very time consuming process and I just would have trouble finding the time to do it.

2. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    I think about it all the time. I am a plus size woman and my clothes are expensive. Most of the clothes are made for women with bodies that are so much different than mine to where the clothes don't fit and I have to modify them anyway.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have in the past made my clothes. I have not made anything in a while. I do need to purchase a sewing machine so that I can get back to making some simple outfits for the summer and repairing a few items.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know how to maneuver the sewing machine but I do know how to sew by hand using various sewing styles. If I pursue the latter option to make my own clothes, it will take me an awfully long time. I am more concerned about cutting patterns. My talent doesn't cover this one. I do know how to knit, so maybe I can knit a few sweaters.

5. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I would love to make my own clothes but unfortunately I do not know how do it and I do not know how to sew. I am not really into this sewing things and I also don't know how to knit. My mother knows how to do all these things. I remember as a kid, she used to make our own clothes and even our uniforms at school. Too bad, I did not get that talent/abilities from her.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    How I really wish I could make my own clothes. But I sometimes throw a DIY project and give my old clothes a new fashion twist.

7. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I do sew the majority of my clothes and it gives me a certain freedom to design and wear what I love. Sewing requires thinking and paying attention, and the creative part of it is very fun to me. I save a lot of money, but it does require time to do intricate designs. The skiryts, pants and simple blouses are easy though.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a nice thought, but one that's easier said than done, I'm afraid. We're not all going to have the skill nor the passion, to be honest. I'd rather just walk in a store and grab whatever I want to buy, no hassle. I don't have the skill, the time, energy or the interest to make own clothes.

9. Harmony Lassen

Harmony LassenNew Member

Threads:
    One thing I've always thought was cool is taking old clothes and making them look new. I've noticed shorts with lace on them are quite popular but also very expensive. A pair of jeans bought at a thrift store for a few dollars can easily be turned into shorts and have lace added. And there are so many cool DIY crafts for turning old tee shirts into something fancy and elegant. I'll post a link, if you're interested.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a good idea but I find that fabric costs a small fortune where I live so it doesn't end up being cost-effective. A friend buys vintage fabrics at thrift stores and yard sales and makes her own clothes using old patterns. They always look amazing and they cost her pennies to make.