Is Being Able To Edit The Photo Resolution Important For You?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by sidney • Sep 10, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just noticed that the file size of the pics that I'm taking using a 5 MP Xperia phone is taking up too much space, like as much as 1+ MB per pic. I want them less than 500 KB per file.But I noticed that it has no option to edit the photo resolution, so I'm stuck with taking pics of large sizes and consuming more than my alloted space for pics. Would you mind if your phone can't make you edit your pic resolution to a smaller one? What phone are you using now and can you edit it?

2. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I have an iphone and i'm just fine with the default camera settings so far. I don't exactly take excessive photos of myself or anything so I'm not so concerned about that memory storage. My phone has a big memory too so i haven't really encountered same issue that you have. But i guess you should look up some information on how to adjust your settings.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, there really is no option to lower the resolution on my phone, so I guess I'm pretty much stuck with it. It takes long to upload pics with large sizes so it can be an inconvenience.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    if the photo is not important but a shot to share of have reference of something, I prefer the lowest resolution my cell camera has. Otherwise, I use the maximum, best quality resolution, but I'm continuously transferring photos from my phone to my computer so you rarely will see a photo in my cell unless taken very recently.

I love to have them in the computer not just for storage purposes, but it's way too much easier edit, crop or manipulate images from a computer than from a cell phone or tablet.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @MyDigitalpoint@MyDigitalpoint, I hope you are storing them in your memory cards or flash drives for backup. I have lost a lot of files in the pc because I store everything there and deleted them from the memory card. Not a good idea.

6. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    Of course. As a photographer / videographer, image quality is key to me. I can't have a grainy photo unless I have a specific reason for the image quality to be low. While I do end up keeping a number of my iPhone snaps on instagram to save space, it is nice to have some kind of compressor when at all possible.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our camera including phone cameras are all set to the maximum resolution of picture size. The standard procedure is to archive the photos to the portable hard disk and delete them from the camera to give space for new pictures. Especially videos that are large in file size, it is advisable to save them in an archive disk. No, we do not resize photos since the high resolution is the good quality of the photos so why cut it down to size?

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, I think that there are certain photos that don't really require to have a high resolution like selfies, lol. But I think for group photos and scenic pictures, a high resolution would be preferred. I just don't like photos having more than 1 MB file size.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You may be right on that - some minor photos like simple selfies may not need a high resolution. So now you would chop it to save on storage space? But who knows, someday you may use that photo for a billboard type. I'm not joking, it is a probability. Check the old photos of your grandparents and you will realize what I am saying. Photos are photos and it may look trivial now but maybe precious someday.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, Actually on phones that were released just before Android phones became popular the option to adjust the resolution was common. I always chose the 640x480 resolution. The other day I took a selfie in broad daylight, and I just noticed that my pores are quite visible since I wasn't even wearing powder, lol. A lower resolution will be able to hide those flaws, hehe.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I set up a website and used images, I realized that it really does affect how fast the page loads and that is does slow it down. As a result I reduced all the image sizes and they load faster now and look more uniform. I do think we get tempted to use higher resolution, but it doesn't always mean a better picture. You can store a low resolution and then adjust it later if need be.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    1MB per pic is really not much at all - especially since most phones have memory upwards of 16GB. However that is an interesting point, as there may be situations where you don't need a high resolution image when shooting pics, and would prefer to conserve space on the device you are shooting on. I suppose they are assuming to just give you the best resolution your device offers, and you can then shrink the images down as needed.

The issue with raster based images, such as digital photos, is every time you shrink them down you loose image quality that you can never restore by enlarging them again. A digital photo is sort of like a tiled wall, made up of a bunch of tiny pixels (such as tiles). If you were to shrink a tiled wall, you have to toss out a bunch of tiles. If you try to enlarge the wall again, those tiles you lost are gone for good. When you try to enlarge a small image in a graphics application, it's sort of like blowing up a balloon with am image on it - it doesn't add detail, it just becomes blurrier and more stretched out.

13. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Well not really since most of the time, the photos I take with my phone I tend to transfer them ASAP on my computer for upload or post processing. But I think it would be nice to have the ability to tweak the quality of your photos within the phone just to avoid any issues that might come up like space problems and upload sizes.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @ohiotom76@ohiotom76, I won't bother shrinking them, but I will just leave them as is since I don't even want to lower it's quality. I will just use the old phones that I have that have lower resolution if I plan to upload them.

15. MyDigitalpoint

Threads:
    @sidney@sidney, while I use to backup most files on an external drives or sometimes onto a USB memory stick for quick, I had an issue with photos (seeing my mom burning down cherished pictorial moments) that made me relegate them in importance to be stored thinking that maybe someday they will be if not burned down, just deleted by someone I may think would like to keep.

So I rarely backup a photo, but zipping them, what makes hard to find them when I may need them at a later time. LOL

On the other hand, I agree with you when it comes to keep resolution low. My phone camera supports high resolution, but I used to find myself reducing it to a lower size via PC, so better to lower the resolution to 640x480, or 800x600 at most. I don't see the point to use the higher resolution options that, certainly, may reveal unwanted imperfections not just in one's face, but in details like a peeled wall paint or something.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @MyDigitalpoint@MyDigitalpoint, So your mom really burned your photos? That's quite odd. No one really burns photos right? I think when you have a personal pc no one will be able to delete your files since it's your own pc to begin with. I can imagine finding it hard to browse photos if it's in a .rar file?

17. MyDigitalpoint

Threads:
    Hey @sidney@sidney! Never though of it, but it's true, while the computer is mine there is no way to get anyone deleting my files.

Yes, it's sad but a few years ago, when my dad passed away , my mom thought to burn down of all of his photos, and continued burning down photos that it was supposed to be really cherished, like some of mine in childhood that I wanted to bring with me the past century, but she never wanted to give me saying they were a treasure... a treasure that ended up in ashes :(

My photos are stored in .zip format, but the problem to find them is that I use to "clean up" my files by creating directories with random names, that may contain typos or numbers.

These directories are then zipped and the originals deleted, so when I need a photo, I need to find a zipped file that might be called "pciture91.zip" which may have inside a photo called "Moon over Airport Blvd.jpg" or the same it might be called "IMG00043.jpg" or "DC0004.jpg" which says nothing to me.

On the other hand, since I'm always clearing my phone's memory, next time I use the camera, it will name a photo "DC0004.jpg" and if I ever find the zipped packages, there might be more than two or three of them containing similar named photos, which aren't the same.

What a mess!

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @MyDigitalpoint@MyDigitalpoint, Your mom is really odd. Unless she resents your father there is no way that someone will burn them just to clear some clutter. Pictures are precious memories, right? (only if the person was precious to begin with in your eyes, lol!) You should un-rar those files, are they password protected? I think when you un-zip them and use the thumbnail feature to view the pics then you can locate and see the pics easily.