Is Black Friday worth the extra effort?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by MrsWilson2012 • Nov 25, 2013.

1. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    Black Friday can be a great way to get good prices on merchandise, but it also has it's drawbacks: many people have to camp overnight at large stores to be in line when the doors open up for the sale, because of the massive number of shoppers that participate in the tradition. People fight and act like animals, especially over items that are low in stock or big ticket items.

I personally find that some stores aren't worth going to, such as Wal-Mart, for these reasons. I try to go to stores such as Costco, where only members can get the deals offered, which cuts down a little on the traffic jam, and smaller retailers who don't advertise as much.

What propts you to fight the crowds, and is it worth it? What are some of the best Black Friday deals you've gone home with?

2. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind the crowd as long as there are some crazy people who try to grab the item in which you lay your eyes on. I try to avoid the Black Friday sale as far away as possible because some people are just too obsessively aggressive. I really don't see the loint of having to fight your way out in order to get the item you want for a less expensive price. Yes, I do understand some people want the items so bad, but it is just not worth thw effort to wait in line for so many hours that you end up not getting enough sleep, and you sometimes have to deal with your shopping competitors.

3. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    For me, a person who has a slight social anxiety, I just shop online. All weekend long and then cyber Monday, that's more than enough for me! I just don't like the idea of being trampled and people are running around stores seeing red! Dont get in their way or else... Plus my heart goes out to the employees of these stores that are completely trashed by the end of the night. So for me, no it's not worth the extra effort.

4. jcairns82

jcairns82Member

Threads:
    I prefer to get the deals online. It can be frustrating as different stores offer different deals at different times. Notice my emphasis on different! :) This means that you have to figure this all out before hand and strategize appropriately. As well, I like to make sure that I don't get too caught up in the excitement of the sales. Yes, I could get a cheap tv, but do I need a cheap tv? Likely not. However, I do need a new computer, so let's locate one for the right price and is a recognizable brand.

Kudos to those of you that will go into the actual stores. That'd stress me out way too much.

5. dejongkimberlee

dejongkimberleeNew Member

Threads:
    Normally I don't do the whole Black Friday shopping thing, but this year my kids have convinced me to tag along with them. We are planning to go to some department stores and maybe stop by walmart if it isn't too crowded. I am thinking about getting an iPad Mini from walmart if they have any left. Normally I would prefer to shop online but I would like to experience the madness atleast one time, so I guess this is the year.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think so, especially with regards to the online promos since they are not that difficult to take advantage of. I've recently just been able to compare the discounts offered during this time against the ones released during the holiday season and it turns out that they are significantly higher, at least where I'm from. That's why this year I plan on doing all of my Christmas shopping during this time.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have no Black Friday in the Philippines but I have been reading a lot on Black Friday aside from some of our acquaintances in the US tell us about how they rush to the stores in the early morning of Black Friday. The target of one of our friends are the towels which they send to the Philippines for selling. That is their way of sending something to their relatives here instead of sending money. And with Black Friday deals, they get a good price for those towels.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Black Friday has lost it's allure. Gone are the days when people would camp outside stores and fight strangers just so they can buy something they want at a discount. I think the ability to get Black Friday deals online changed everything. And considering the fact that competition forces retailers to be always offering deals, Black Friday is very much meaningless at the present and I suppose three or so years from now very few people will be waiting for Black Friday deals.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think where you get Black Fridays it's worth a try, but sadly we don't get that where I am. But I wouldn't camp out overnight for even the greatest of offers. I love my sleep too much hehe I also wouldn't be caught anywhere dead pushing, shoving and fighting people to get to the last item. I just don't understand why anyone would want to act the fool on these days, it's just ridiculous!

I saw a video clip of some woman who swiped something from a child. By behaving like this, that's exactly what you risk these days, because people have become fond of surreptitiously recording people and shaming them on the www hehe. You just never know who's recording what!

10. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like Black Friday. I think it shows how selfish we've actually become especially when people are shopping on Thanksgiving, trampling people, hurting others, etc. I think it is ridiculous. I could understand if you were really pinched for money that year. But some people are ridiculous. Now, the day after Thanksgiving some websites have Black Friday deals and I might check them out, but I'm not going to risk my life out there to get a present. I'm not sure if it is that bad where y'all are. But where I am you are hearing all over the news where people were awful during Black Friday.

11. juancarlos

juancarlosMember

Threads:
    Shopping on Black Friday can be daunting, with massive crowds, pre-dawn start times and long checkout lines. Some people love the thrill of the chase. They want to score a deal, and they like the tradition. To them, Black Friday is worth the effort no matter the hassle.

12. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    One thing that many may not be aware of is that some of these so-called great deals at Black Friday sales events, are not wonderful deals after all. Some stores hike the prices of the goods near to Black Friday and then lower the prices on the day, therefore tricking the consumer into believe that were getting a good bargain.
    Some stores will truly provide wonderful deals on goods on service, however, some people will believe it's not worth the long waiting in lines, the fighting, and mayhem to obtain these bargains.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I think of Black Friday, or when I hear the term Black Friday, I always think of those news images of people getting trampled an people dying and such. But as far as the actual event itself, as far as the sales go, I like the idea of it. If people approached it with some sense, I would not feel negatively about it

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think if there is an item that you particularly need, and you know that there is a good offer on it on Black Friday, then yes it can absolutely be worth it. But a lot of the time, people will buy items that they neither want nor need, and this can just mean that money is wasted when it isn't really necessary. So I would always approach it with caution, and make sure that you're buying things because you want to rather than as an impulse purchase like a lot of people do.

15. MichelleVL

MichelleVLMember

Threads:
    I will not fight another human being for an article of clothing, a new TV, or anything else for that matter. We're not animals in the wild, and it's not the Zombie apocalypse. It's really not worth to turn into an animal for a material object. When it comes to Black Friday, I don't mind the coming and going of people. You better be sure though, that you won't see me camping out outside a store in the middle of the night. Special offers come and go, so if you missed out on some no big deal.

16. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I'm just so over Black Friday and have been for many years. My husband and I shop for Christmas and Birthdays throughout the year. About 4 or 5 years ago, the Sony store was going out of business and we bought so many gifts for our kids and family members in there. But my original point is, I rather be at home enjoying being with family and friends not out moving from store to store to find a deal.

17. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I've always wanted to participate in Black Friday, but I'm too much of a coward to actually go. I guess you could say I think it's not worth the effort. It just seems so hectic and I'm a shy person so I don't think I would stand a chance against the huge stampedes of crazy people. At the same time, it seems like it could be a lot of fun not to mention some people claim they get good deals. Perhaps this year will be the year I go shopping on Black Friday.

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess that's the down side of these huge sales, all the crowds and people becoming extremely rough and crazed, just to get their hands on items they want!!! It can get ridiculous and pretty scary as well. My husband hates it, and even though I don't really mind all that, I decided not to do them anymore because i could see it was torture to him. So what took to doing is shopping online instead. Our favourite high street stores will sometimes run online sales at the same time as these huge sales, and some will even deliver to your local store. So that works a lot better for us now.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We also don't have Black Friday over here, so I can't relate. But based from what I have seen in Youtube, you can tell the uncivilized people from the civilized ones, because the uncivilized ones really act "savagely" just to be able to get their hands on an item that's running low already!

20. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    You can NOT drag me to a big Black Friday sale if you tried! I absolutely hate them and the whole idea of them is kind of a drag, the way the employees have to sometimes work on Thanksgiving, the thought of camping out after my Thanksgiving feast, it's enough to ruin the holidays! I try to catch sales throughout the year and I also do a lot of my holiday shopping online. I love giving gifts but I hate the crowds!