Is Bottled Water Worth The Cost?

Discussion in Water started by Isabellas2007 • Jun 8, 2012.

1. TheMightyMathias

TheMightyMathiasNew Member

Threads:
    Bottled water is definitely not worth it! They just put tap water into it and say that it's cleaner. Plus, the plastic taste rubs off into the water and makes it taste a little weird sometimes. I just get refillable water bottle and fill that up when I need to. If I need it cold I just put in some ice and it keeps it cold for a pretty long time.

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I just filter my water because I know it's not contaminated by the plastic. These companies will tell you anything to get you to pay for their product. In the end it's all lies that they feed you. I like being in control of my own health, so I don't buy bottled water very often. The only time I will purchase it is if I'm going on a trip, and I don't trust drinking their water I'll bring my own.

3. Moneysaver93

Moneysaver93Member

Threads:
    It all depends on where you live. I buy bottled water because the tap water sometimes doesn't taste as great as the bottled water does. Usually, all I drink is water anyway and I want to make sure the water I drink is going to taste good. That is why I prefer bottled water.

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Is it worth the cost? Depends on where you buy it from.

In Thailand bottled water is very cheap, about 00.15usd per 1-liter bottle if you buy it in packs of 6. The water is filtered and treated with ultra-violet to kill the micro-organisms in it. I used to buy it when I am living alone and I don't have a kitchen. It's even cheaper than boiling my own water if I use a gas stove because I have a tendency to forget about the kettle on the stove until it has all boiled dry.

5. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    I don't think its worth it. I put water from our fresh water tap into a water bottle, and I just use that. It's almost the exact same water (maybe even better!).

However, we always seem to have bottled water around anyway...

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't bother with bottled water unless I get caught in a desperate situation. Otherwise, I just fill a bottle up with tap water and carry it around with me. The tap water where I live is clean enough to drink, and it's much cheaper than $1 per bottle.

7. bargainbabe

bargainbabeActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, bottled water is not worth it. I watched a documentary in which the regulation of bottled water is EXACTLY the same as tap water. That means that bottled water only has to be as clean as tap water. So when you buy Dasani, you're buying Atlanta tap water since that is where it's bottled. The only water that actually exceeds the standards is stuff like Fiji water, which is why it is so expensive.

8. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I rue the day bottled water became popular.

Making people pay for a natural resource is bad enough. But they downright deceive the customers into thinking it's NOT tap water. 80% of the bottle water companies have been using tap since their inception.

9. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    There are actually LESS regulations on bottled water then there is on tap water, especially town water. The water companies that supply town water have a lot more rules and regulations to follow. Bottled water has not many to follow and really doesn't always come from a spring at all. I am not against bottled water, but it is amazing really.

10. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say they're a waste of time. I only see people in a rush purchasing them or those who think they're going to live forever by sipping on them ALL DAY LONG. Please! All you pay for is the packaging, anyway, which goes straight in the bin.

11. bargainbabe

bargainbabeActive Member

Threads:
    Well then that proves our point that it isn't worth it. When I found out that Dasani is just Atlanta tap water, I was through. I didn't drink it anyway, but that's messed up that they sell it in soda machines as if it's something special. Might as well fill up your cup from the water fountain.

12. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    For me, not usually. You'll have better luck with good-tasting water if you just put a filter on your tap at home. I do buy bottled water occasionally at the store for convenience because you can get it cold right then, but mostly we don't ever buy it. I feel like it's a waste of money especially when I don't even know for certain how clean the water inside the bottle is.

I also concur with the person who says the plastic can give the water an odd taste. It definitely can, and the chemicals from the plastic can leach into the water too, making it really bad for you. This is more likely to happen if the bottles have at any point been allowed to sit out in the sun and get hot.

13. dexterlablab1

Threads:
    The problem is as a society, we're under the assumption that just because it "costs" it's automatically of good quality. Same with water. None of us have any evidence that these companies get their water from these great and legendary springs they say they do. It could just be filtered tap water without any of us knowing the difference.

14. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    If you look all over the bottles, some of them will say purified drinking water. Pretty much purified tap water. It is amazing the way they sell this as a "spring water" and then put it in bottles with BPA which is a dangerous chemical, especially when a bottle is left in the sun and then you drink it.

15. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    No, bottled water is not worth it in my opinion. Not only is bottled water a waste of money, the bottles typically wind up in landfills. I personally believe that purchasing a good water filter is a much better route. Not only does it save you money over time, there is no waste.

16. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    That's really not true. The thing is, the bottles don't just get hot while you have them, they can get hot in the trucks they are transported in or during manufacturing. Also, say you transport it in your trunk and it is in there a little while and gets really hot, maybe you refrigerate it before you drink it, but it the damage has already been done.

17. dexterlablab1

Threads:

This is actually a good point J pin makes. That plastic can do a world of damage to the water contained with all the travel and temperatures within the vans and trucks they're moved in.

18. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I refuse to drink my tap water. It tastes awful, even ice cold. I live in Texas. I think bottled water is very worth it, but I don't get the individual bottles. I purchase the large Ozarka containers, and refill my water bottles with them regularly. Bottled water is very much worth it for me, because without it, I wouldn't drink water at all.

19. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly! They are not required to transport cases of water bottles in a refrigerated truck so it can get quite hot in the trailer. If they had better packaging it would be a bit safer, but I don't see that happening.

20. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    I like bottled water because I go by the saying "Better safe than sorry". I use sterilized bottled water for me and my baby. Quite pricey, but I think it's worth it.