Is Bottled Water Worth The Cost?

Discussion in Water started by Isabellas2007 • Jun 8, 2012.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The markup on bottled water is 280,000%, but everyone should know the cost isn't worth it. I still buy bottled water for the pure convenience. I'm not trying to trick myself into thinking I'm saving my money or my health in doing so, though.

2. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I never buy bottled water. Tap water is drinkable in my country and tastes much better than the bottled version. Why would I pay for a bottle of water if I can fill one myself at home for free? I mean, it is convenient, there is no denying that, but it doesn't take a long time to fill the bottle before you leave. The only times I do buy water from a store is on vacation. When I'm abroad, I can't be sure about the quality of their water, so I stick to the bottled. If I know the tap water there is safe to drink, I buy the cheapest water in the store just so I can use the bottle. :)

3. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I saw a documentary about bottle water, and after what I learned, I haven't bought purified bottle water since. They determined that bottled water is no better than tap water. After they conducted test, they found that bottle water had arsenic, and other harmful agents in it as well. All they do is add a special detergent to make the water taste much better. I pass, the bottle water industry is very lucrative however.

4. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not. Haven't bought bottled water since I started going to college and have happily relied upon a water filter and water bottle since. Together, it will cost about $30 and I've only had to replace them once in about 5 years.

As someone said, the only time I buy bottled water is if I'm on vacation and can't bring my water bottle with me or don't have access to my water filter for awhile.

5. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy it if I'm out of the house. If I'm at the gym, or a concert, or something...
    I've been drinking tap water for years now, and I feel great! And I drink LOADS of water.
    I might buy one of these filters though. Does anyone have one of those?

6. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure about anyone else, but I can definitely taste the difference and I definitely don't like the taste of tap water at all. I don't know why that is, but possibly because this area of England is extremely chalky and possibly that's in the water too. I'm not really too sure, but I love to drink bottled water and I buy it all of the time. So yeah, to me, bottled water is well worth the cost.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I saw a dateline piece about that as well and it was really surprising because I always feel better drinking bottled water as opposed to tape. In any state I'm in when I drink tap I feel sick, and then once I drink bottled I can see the difference. I tried using a filter with tap and whatever they use for the filter leaves a residue in the water that irritates my stomach and makes me feel sick, which is a shame because that would save some money, time, and effort lugging water bottles home. But for me its for sure worth it.

#67Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  8. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good question, is it worth the price? I really can't say. The fact is that bottle water is still pretty cheap so I buy it sometimes because it's more convenient for me to drink it, but I also drink tap water, I make a mix. The fact is that the flavor is better, so while the price is low I'll buy it.

9. Zikkled

ZikkledNew Member

Threads:
    I think bottled water tastes better than tap water. There doesn't seem to be any point to buying the expensive ones like Voss or Fiji, though, so I just stick to the cheaper brands. It's very, very hot where I live and sometimes I just can't wait to get home before I need to buy a bottle of water. So for their convenience, I think they're worth it, but if your situation is one in which you can easily provide water for yourself without paying, that's definitely better.

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be fair, though, I'd say Fiji is one of the few better tasting waters, whether it's still just tap water or not. It's pretty darn refreshing, although it's overpriced more so than other bottled waters. I like drinking SmartWater, too, although I guess that makes me a dummy for paying the huge markup. I'm not worried about prices, but I don't try to pretend like bottled water isn't a ripoff.

11. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to buy bottled water if I can avoid it, when I play football or go on a run I will have prepared a sports bottle full of ice cold water to take with me. I normally resort to buying bottled water when I'm stuck outside and gasping for a drink. Who ever first started selling bottled water certainly realised how dumb the general public are!

12. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    And its not just the taste with bottled water. With tap you can taste and smell the bleach ( or at least I can) and water else that is left in there its gross. Bottled water tastes, smells, and feels so much crisper and cleaner to me. Bottled water where I am is only between 49 cents and 99cents so its not that expensive.

13. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't drink bottled water. I pay enough for a home RO system and every 3 months I get the filter changed and the machine cleaned. That alone costs a tidy sum. The reverse osmosis system purifies the water as good as packaged water and since I live in a country where ground water is a primary source of water, it is very important to have a water purifier. If I do buy a bottle of water it would be because I am away from home and have no choice .

14. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Normally I drink tap water. If I go somewhere and I'm really really thirsty I take the hit buying bottled water and internally cuss myself out for being so dumb and not remembering to bring my own water. That being said my grandmother had well water and it tasted horrible so if I lived somewhere with horrible tasting water I probably would buy drinking water. Luckily for me I don't live in one of those areas though.

15. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    Where I live nobody drinks tap water because usually it tastes weird or like it has limestone dust in it or something and generally the pipes are old and rusted and you wouldn't want to drink rust bits even if in very small amounts. Bottled water is cheap, I don't drink "mineral" water just plain water from a company that collaborates with the US army in supplying water so you know it can't be low quality stuff. I'm not gonna name it so I don't seem like I'm marketing it or anything, just search on the internet.

16. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't spend money on bottled water (and a lot of the time I don't believe it's any 'better' than tap to begin with). We do have a brita pitcher & a few brita bottles though, and purify through that.

17. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I spend a lot of money on bottled water, mainly because I live in Canada and it's extremely cheap. I don't like using it at all, but for our needs it works pretty well. We'll probably end up switching to water containers instead soon, since the bottles are getting expensive and messy. So in short they're certainly not worth the cost, but they are more convenient.

18. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    Over the counter water purifier should work just fine, or you could just start boiling water to save the most money. I think boiling 2 gallons of water is comparable to the cost of one bottled water.

19. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Unless you are in a region of the world where water is potentially unsafe, there's no reason to buy bottled water. I don't know how to do the math on whether it's more expensive in that kind of situation, but I would imagine boiling water would be much cheaper. Dasani is bottled in Queens, New York. It cracks me up to think of how many people in NYC are buying Dasani instead of just turning the tap on.

20. DavidNeel

DavidNeelNew Member

Threads:
    I would say, bottled water is no less polluted than tap water. Overall the bottled water tested contained 38 chemical pollutants altogether, with an average of 8 contaminants in each brand. I personally used the Berkey water filter at my home and when I go somewhere then I always keep my sport water bottle with me. It provides me safe, clean and healthy water.