Is Buying Kindle Still Practical?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by vida_llevares • Oct 4, 2012.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    In the midst of the rivalry between Apple and Samsung, we cannot deny the popularity of tablets nowadays. We now see a wide variety of tablets - in different price ranges, different memory capacities, different sizes, different colors, different brands.

Tablets can also be used to read e-books. Since tablets are multi-purpose, would you still consider buying Kindle and other e-book readers?

2. vrobnson

vrobnsonNew Member

Threads:
    I just figured this very thing out recently. I saw the Kindle app that I could download on my "Toshiba Thrive Tablet". It was a free download. I purchased a book from amazon and it had the option of purchasing the e-book. It came straight to my tablet!

With tablets rising in popularity like they are and so many people owning them, I just can't see a person who owns a tablet still willing to buy a Kindle.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends.

While you can use tablets to read books, it's a different style of screen.

If you're going to use a device primarily for reading books, though, then getting a Kindle or an e-reader specially of some sort is a better idea. The e-ink makes all the difference in the world.

4. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    I agree with Jessi. Not having backlighting while reading a book is a lot more comfortable than having it. If you have a tablet and can get an app that doesn't have backlighting like that, there is no reason to get a kindle, nook or other ebook reader.

I love my Kindle. I don't have a tablet or any type and don't plan to get one. That makes it very practical to me. The savings on buying books is excellent.

5. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    The kindles are a great invention. Sounds as if the tablets work well also. I don't have either, as I love reguilar bools, I collect them,.

6. Rosa_Camilla

Rosa_CamillaNew Member

Threads:
    A tablet can do a lot of tasks which would make it's battery life much shorter than a Kindle's, so it is still practical to buy a Kindle or any other e-book reader if you really need it for entertainment, classes, lectures, etc. A Kindle is a great invention and I'm planning to buy one soon.

7. bellahpereira

bellahpereiraMember

Threads:
    No. Considering that tablets can now be used to read ebooks as well, I don't think there's any reason for anyone to purchase an e-reader. Seems like a waste of money to me. Why purchase something that only has one main function when you can purchase a tablet that allows you to do so much more? Not to mention the different resolutions and screen sizes. I use my Asus tablet to read ebooks and I think it's amazing. I'm just glad that I didn't end up buying a Kindle when I wanted to. Anyone else feel like they dodged a bullet?

8. tschibo

tschiboNew Member

Threads:
    I have a kindle and I never regretted getting it - I love the e-ink and the way it makes it possible for me to read for hours without straining my eyes (reading anything on my computer screen for any amount of time is a torture.) I never needed a tablet, since I have a laptop, so for me getting a kindle was more about getting something that saves my eyes and enables me to read books. I guess you just really need to figure out what it is you need and then make a choice between a kindle (or other e-reader) and a tablet. If you want to read e-books comfortably, go with an e-reader. If reading books is only one of the things you want to do, go with a tablet :)

9. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I have a kindle and I'm getting the new one. I do a lot of reading at the beach or by the pool. Reading on a tablet in the sunshine is just annoyhing. Not to mention that my ipad battery lasts only a few hours and the kindle battery lasts for 10 days. If you read a book every now and then, just buy the book, if you read a book every 2 days like I do, kindle is the way to go.

10. A.P.W.

A.P.W.Member

Threads:
    I love the kindle, Then I also love the Blackberry Playbook. There are a lot of things you can do with a Blackberry that is other than books. Although you can access the books just as easy with a kindle. I prefer having the options open to me for other things. You can still download plenty of free books. This is just a very small part of what a Blackberry can do.

11. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    A kindle is a very different device than a tablet. If you're a dedicated reader, then a Kindle or other e-ink device totally makes sense. I love reading at the park when my son is playing, and a tablet just doesn't work in bright sunlight. And when travelling, nothing beats the battery life on an e-ink device. However, I do use my Android tablet as a reader in bed, so I don't need to keep a light on. The new Kobo has an interesting glow lighting thing that lets you use e-ink in the dark, but I haven't gotten around to looking at those yet.

The long and short of it is that if you are someone who reads constantly, a Kindle is more than worth buying, but if you only read when you can't find something to watch on YouTube and you are sick of playing Angry Birds, then a tablet will more than suffice.

12. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Its not practical I think. If its is then samsung and apple should at least add a usb port of thier tablet just like coby kyrus did. I like coby because I can upload things by just mounting an external drive thru thier usb port and then upload a file :D

13. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    I have done both. I love to read books. I have owned a Kindle and loved it. The books coming instantly after you purchase. I think it really depends on your budget. The Kindle books can be quite pricey. Most people hit the library. I know I do.

14. SuperSecretSanta

SuperSecretSantaNew Member

Threads:
    I'm an avid reader and although I was reluctant to purchase ANY type of e-reader, once I got my hands on the Kindle Fire, I became a huge advocate. The screen on my kindle makes reading a joy. I'm far-sighted and have suffered from migraines and other problems due to eye strain. Since I've had the kindle, that's all in the past. Reading on the ipad doesn't even compare. Another reason the kindle gets my vote is because it's affordable, and doesn't try to do too much. Other tablets seem to want to be laptops and they fall short. The kindle does not. And that's probably why it's so popular.

15. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm excited for the kindle paperwhite to come out. It has a smart light sensor that allows you to read in bright sunlight or pitch black. IT's tops on my Christmas lis tthis year.

16. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose it depends on your needs. Personally, I think Kindle is a great and helpful invention for people who care about their environment and don't have enough space at home to gather paper books. Moreover, Kindle or any other e-book reader with e-ink technology is better for reading books than tablet. I tried reading some e-books on tablet and my computer screen and it just doesn't work. My eyes were so sore that I had to stop after reading about 40 pages. When I use Kindle, my eyes are fine and I can read much more.

#16Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  17. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly, for serious readers, the kindle is entirely different form a tablet. They serve totally different purposes.